PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Why

Green-Pro
09-26-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't like Mondays!!

Worked all weekend to ensure being caught up, got a crew ready to hit the mowing, aerating, overseeding, fert, etc. starting Tuesday to make sure it stays caught up. Plan was to start a 700 Sq' patio today, did some prep work at the jobsite Sunday afternoon, getting materials delivered 7:30 Monday morning.

After a summer of no or little rain it rains like hell overnight, jobsite a muddy mess, o.k. no patio work today base was delivered on time, pavers were quite late, would have left but wanted them put where they were needed and out of other contractors way. Oh well no biggie I figure we brought the mowers with us just in case we had a chance to get a jump on mowing, except we must a picked up a nail in trailer tire at the jobsite. Still determined to plow on, we get to the local tire shop to have patched. They jack trailer up to remove wheel, guy gives it a tug back and forth, Bearings going bad? Well end up back at the shop some chowderhead (that'd be me) didn't get the nuts tight enough last time bearings got packed....Wheres my GUN!!!

At this point being 17 miles out of my service area, and at home, also a greazzy backside mess and beginning to fume I called it a day. Got a delivery ticket for 5+ grand worth of patio materials today, phone call from my latest thorn in the paw, nail in tire, mistaken but sick feeling bearings on trailer are going out, and made no friggin money. 1 day of vacation....priceless

extoro
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh the joys of owning your own business!

Green-Pro
09-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Oh the joys of owning your own business!

Well there is that, when all else seemingly turns to dung around you you can still take comfort in being the boss :dizzy:

topsites
09-26-2005, 10:29 PM
You DO have bearing buddies on your trailer wheels? Once you put those on, make sure you use a synthetic grease once/year is good.
Man I am sooo sore from aerating with the classen.

stryper
09-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Tell me why...
I don't like Mondays!!
Am I really seeing a Boomtown Rats reference?

sheshovel
09-27-2005, 02:55 AM
I never rearrange my schedual for a big job or delivery unless I check on my PC for the local weather report.That's just regular operating mode.The weatherman won't always be right.But if it's gonna rain,they usually know it.
And if I have a delivery thats gonna be late or I know I can't be there...I leave a big huge note and mark where I want the material to go .
On the delivery order I ask for the driver to call me before he leaves the yard and make sure he knows to look for the area marked.
It works out good for me but I'm in good with the driver cuz I tip him well and it's always the same guy or the owner who delivers.He does not mind calling before he leaves.This helps when I am having a day like you had...and we all do! :D

Green-Pro
09-27-2005, 07:38 AM
topsites You DO have bearing buddies on your trailer wheels?

What are bearing buddies, like a swim buddy, diet buddy or something? JK I know what they are and no this trailer does not have them yet.

stryper Am I really seeing a Boomtown Rats reference?

You are correct sir, could this be considered dating ones self?

sheshovel I never rearrange my schedual for a big job or delivery unless I check on my PC for the local weather report.That's just regular operating mode.The weatherman won't always be right.But if it's gonna rain,they usually know it.
And if I have a delivery thats gonna be late or I know I can't be there...I
leave a big huge note and mark where I want the material to go .
On the delivery order I ask for the driver to call me before he leaves the yard and make sure he knows to look for the area marked.

I had checked the weather report, woke up in the middle of the night when I heard it begin to rain, figured well jobsites getting rained on to. Thats why we loaded the mowers, figured to get the crew a jump on the route, maybe have a good week. My brother (works for me on hardscapes) told me you should leave a note, but what can I say, I'm a freakin control freak when it comes to this stuff :p Really little things like where the material is set can fry my but, being on time is another. I had a potential customer with a fairly sizeable job want an estimate, he owns resteraunts and hence his schedule is pretty weird so he asked to meet like mid day on a Tuesday, we were a bit slowed down from the drought so I agreed. I was there he was not, no call, nothing. Really p.o.ed me. He called a day later, left voice mail something came up. still frosted me, billed him for the time and never called back. I am a stickler for details I guess, don't let it overwhelm me, but always striving to ensure i's are dotted and t's crossed. I know it can't be that way all the time, but still frosts me when it goes a bit awry.