PDA

View Full Version : aereation

fishman644
09-26-2005, 08:37 PM
t wondering if it is the best thing to aereate in the spring and fall. im just getting into providing the service and i want to hear from someone that is more experienced with this than i am. I want to make sure im doing it right.

Lawn-Scapes
09-26-2005, 08:45 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=527875

Happy reading......

EJK2352
09-26-2005, 09:32 PM
t wondering if it is the best thing to aereate in the spring and fall. im just getting into providing the service and i want to hear from someone that is more experienced with this than i am. I want to make sure im doing it right.

It's spelled AERATE. You have 1 too many e's in your spelling. I find the fall to be best. Fall is when you get the most root growth and most benefit from aeration. If you can't fit them in your fall schedule, then spring would be my second choice.

topsites
09-26-2005, 09:35 PM
It's spelled AERATE. You have 1 too many e's in your spelling. I find the fall to be best. Fall is when you get the most root growth and most benefit from aeration. If you can't fit them in your fall schedule, then spring would be my second choice.

Agreed, fall first, spring a close second so long it's EARLY spring (no later than april).
Way it's been around here, I've aerated a FEW yards where the owners drowned the yard with sprinklers but it's been so dry if it doesn't rain soon, all the rest are going to be spring chickens.

Shuter
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I try to sell aeration in the Fall and thatching late Spring.

Killswitch
09-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Thatching?

lol

People still do that?

fishman644
09-26-2005, 10:05 PM
That is what i thought but i wanted to hear some different opinions.

GreenUtah
09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
aeration relieves compaction. Aerate when it's compacted. That might be once a year, once every three years or once a month, depending on soil type and use. If you have a heavy snow load during the winter, opening it afterward might make the most sense(spring). If you are simply looking for fall work and don't want to add that to a hectic spring, do it whenever it makes sense for your business.

Pecker
09-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Why not do it in fall and spring?

Nosmo
09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Thatching?

lol

People still do that?

Lol Too - Lawns still buildup leftovers and some of it is thatch. Some people including myself dethatch their own lawns.

Nosmo

DTC
09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
aeration relieves compaction. Aerate when it's compacted. That might be once a year, once every three years or once a month, depending on soil type and use. If you have a heavy snow load during the winter, opening it afterward might make the most sense(spring). If you are simply looking for fall work and don't want to add that to a hectic spring, do it whenever it makes sense for your business.

Compaction is one of the things aeration helps, but it also relieves the carbon dioxide buildup in the soil by allowing more Oxygen into the soil, it helps the water and nutrients penetrate to the roots, and to some degree it will help break through the thatch layer and provide some of the benefits that detaching will provide without the disruption to the turf.

In short, I aerate any time the lawn needs it. I can show you areas that I have aerated 3 to 4 times within a summer to help the grass recover from stress and its amazing how much faster the grass recovers from the stress. Here in Texas, its a good idea to do Bermuda lawns in the spring to help with transition but also in the fall because it helps them recover from the summer stress.

Just my 2 cents.

bntt68
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
When you aerate in the spring, you are opening the soil up for alot of spring weeds to germinate. I also have alot of clients that put down pre-emergent downin the spring. This stops any seeds from germinating. Grass or weeds. So aerating and over-seeding is done in the fall here.

GreenUtah
09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Compaction is one of the things aeration helps, but it also relieves the carbon dioxide buildup in the soil by allowing more Oxygen into the soil, it helps the water and nutrients penetrate to the roots.

Yes, the results of compaction, thank you for further explaining

turfcobob
09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey Fishman you asked for this...

Spring and fall are both correct but for different reasons. Spring is a good time as there will be instant rewards for your customer and the plant recovery time is good. Do it just before the spring grass jumps in as early as you can do it and fert and water right behind it.
Fall is a good time for the reasons that have been stated. Also the ground will move during the winter and loosen up for better root growth in the spring. Again you should Fert behind the aeration, and the plants will jump into green a couple weeks earlier than usual. This fall aeration and fert program was studied by Universities and seems to be a good practice. I have tried it and it does work.
Fall VS Spring in your biz....

Since the grass reacts quickly to spring aeration when combined with a fert application, do this. Aerate your new customers in the spring. Cut the grass real short so the cores show real well and this will happen. The aeration combined with the fertilizer, short grass and spring weather will just make the grass jump to life. The shorter plant will look green quicker and you will have a happy customer. It is the ole I spent the money I want something for it syndrome.
When the customer has been with you for awhile and understands you will be doing good with aeration move him to the fall. If you do a new customer that does not fully understand the benefits of aeration in the fall he may come back after a few weeks with a .....What did I spend money doing that for??
I can go on for hours on aeration so if you have anymore questions just ask. Also Turfco has books you can use to sell aeration to your customers that explains it all to them the book is called "Why Aerate my Lawn?". I think you can even download them from their web site at Turfco.com.
turfcobob