PDA

View Full Version : BR 600 4 mix question.......owners please read

beaver
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I have recently (thurs) just purchased a Stihl BR 600. I am very pleased with its power and light weight.While I was reading the operators manual, it said to use 89 octane. How important is this? How does it affect performance if I use 87? Thank you for your help.

RedWingsDet
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
I use 92 or 93 in all my equipment. 4 mix edger, trimmer, blower, mowers and truck

topsites
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I keep trying to tell you guys to stop using 87 crapane but nobody ever listens...

Bp 93 minimum (ok 92 is good lol), I use a 95 octane semi-leaded off-road blend myself.

ed2hess
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
In the two stroke blowers/trimmers the 89 is just fine. And if you want additional cleaning add a little Seafoam occassionally.

Shuter
09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
I have used 87 octane for years with no problems. All my handhelds are Stihls, new and old. The 4 mix works perfect as do all the machines.

Lazer Man
09-26-2005, 11:26 PM
We used 87 for a long time too, but a year or two ago we started have carb probs on all of our stihl equipment. Our dealer said to change to a high octain non alcohol gasoline and we haven't had problems since.

Bob :D :D

dcplace2004
09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
What is your reason for using another octane fuel?...If it is cost, figure that there is a small difference between the low grade and mid grade fuel...there is no advantage with running 93 in 2 or 4 cycle engines...the engines will run hotter and that is what you DON'T want...If it says 89, then run 89...There is NO reason to run 93 in anything, even vehicles, unless it is a porche, corvette, etc...it is a WASTE of money, and the oil gougers love you for using the 93...Use 89 like Stihl suggests...they are the billion plus dollars company--they know what they are talking about...

Envy Lawn Service
09-27-2005, 01:32 AM
What is your reason for using another octane fuel?...If it is cost, figure that there is a small difference between the low grade and mid grade fuel...there is no advantage with running 93 in 2 or 4 cycle engines...the engines will run hotter and that is what you DON'T want...If it says 89, then run 89...There is NO reason to run 93 in anything, even vehicles, unless it is a porche, corvette, etc...it is a WASTE of money, and the oil gougers love you for using the 93...Use 89 like Stihl suggests...they are the billion plus dollars company--they know what they are talking about...

Sorry... that's bull... higher the octane, the cooler the engines run.
My forearm don't lie.

Run atleast 89 in Stihl products... and 92-93 if feasable.

Personally, I have recently converted to BP/Amoco 93 in all my equipment.
Testing the white gas = less varnish/gum/buildp in small fuel delivery parts.
Plus I have found for a fact they run cooler which is a real plus if you personally run a trimmer for solid hours on end in 90+ degree temps, only breaking to re-fuel.

I also like Opti-2 mix oil.

TClawn
09-27-2005, 01:50 AM
envy, have you tried echo oil? I found it to be a great improvement over the shindaiwa oil as far as starting and cooler running. also a nice power jump.

if you have tried it, how does it compare to opti-2?

I am not sure which one has the lowest flash point, but I am sure the echo oil flashpoint is lower than the shindaiwa.

Envy Lawn Service
09-27-2005, 02:20 AM
No, haven't used any of the new Echo oil. Only the old Echo oil that came with a blower... and that was the last I used of that. I'll look into that new stuff sometime though. It's either rich or good to protect those new Echo engines.

Opti-2 is good stuff... long term proof in the pudding user here... but I'm currently trying the ALCO Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke oil w/stabilizer. It also seems to be very good oil... but not as clean/smokless as the Opti-2.

dcplace2004
09-27-2005, 02:42 AM
It is the lower the octane, the higher the operating temps...but why does Stihl recommend the 89 octane and not the 93 if this is the case? Also, why does Stihl not use synthetic blends like echo oil?...Stihl does NOT use any synthetics in their oil and I am confused as to why they don't...how would Echo oil work in a Stihl 4-mix? Is the synthetic something the 4-mix cannot handle, or would the synthetic be a benefit?

Richard Martin
09-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Is the synthetic something the 4-mix cannot handle, or would the synthetic be a benefit?

I wrote Amsoil and asked them about using synthetic oil in the Stihl 4 Mix. Here is the reply.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, AMSOIL Saber Professional Oil is recommended for this machine. If the use of the AMSOIL product causes a problem, the AMSOIL warranty will cover repair costs. On the other hand, if the AMSOIL didnít cause the problem, the Stihl warranty should cover any damages.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Byron Selbrede

AMSOIL Technical Service

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Martin [mailto:RMartin631@none-ya-bizness.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:23 AM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: Technical Service Contact Form

Hi, I have a brand new Stihl 4-Mix BR600 leaf blower (www.stihlusa.com) and I need to know if it is safe to use Saber 2 cycle mix in this blower. What sort of warranty does Amsoil provide in the event that there is problem with lubrication? BTW, my Stihl dealer is also my Amsoil dealer and he didn't want to be commital on this. Thank You

davhul
09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
+1 I run 114 oct. In my drag car higher the octane more even burn and will run cooler.Irun 93 in all my 2cycle. my.02

g\ Sorry... that's bull... higher the octane, the cooler the engines run.
My forearm don't lie.

Run atleast 89 in Stihl products... and 92-93 if feasable.

Personally, I have recently converted to BP/Amoco 93 in all my equipment.
Testing the white gas = less varnish/gum/buildp in small fuel delivery parts.
Plus I have found for a fact they run cooler which is a real plus if you personally run a trimmer for solid hours on end in 90+ degree temps, only breaking to re-fuel.

I also like Opti-2 mix oil.

beaver
09-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be getting another 5 gal. can and fill it with 89. The book says a minimum of 89 octane IIRC.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Well I thought I would do the smart thing. I emailed stihl and told them about lawnsite and that we had a question for them. Well Im not the smartess fellow on righting a letter as you can tell by my post here. I cant tell anyone why we should use 89 octane and Im not sure if Stihl can/ can not tell us. Here are the repliues I got from them. Maybe some one smarteer than me can get it out of them, Im interested to know

I belong to a group dedicated to lawncare called lawnsite. There is a
question that comes up alot about why we should use 89 octane fuel in our
stihl equipment vs. 87 octane. Could you shed some light on this subject so
that I can post it on that site? Thanx for any help and keep up the good
work of delivering top quality equipment to the profesional lawn care and
home owner. I have blowers, trimmers, edgers, chainsaws and hedge trimmers
that are stihl. I am in central Va. and I have numerous dealers in the area
that I work and parts are easy to come by, all though all I have needed is a
sparkplug and airfilter,just routine parts is all. Thanx again
wayne saunders
waynes lawn care
wayne.lemmond@stihl.us wrote:

Mr. Saunders,
We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. All of
the
product instruction manuals for our units call for gasoline with a minimum
octane level of 89 to be used.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
Wayne Lemmond
Technical Advisor
Stihl Inc.

Thanx for the quick reply, can you explain why 89 octane is needed instead of the 87 other than the manual says so? what damage can occur by using 87 octane

thanx

Wayne

Mr. Saunders,

We are not permitted to give any further information other than what is contained in our manuals, especially if it is to be

posted on a website.

Best regards,

Wayne Lemmond

Technical Advisor

Stihl Inc.

maybe I didnt go about it in the correct way, maybe some one else can get that deep dark secret from them lol
wayne

lawnmaniac883
09-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Gasoline mechanics tells us that a higher octane fuel will prevent premature detonation and knocking in a gasoline fueled engine. The elimination of the premature detonation is why these engines will run cooler on a higher octane fuel. Increased performance is also achieved when detonation only occurs after a spark is fired. Hope this clears it up alittle.

jbell113
09-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Run 87 in everything for years and never had a problem.

ITL
09-28-2005, 12:22 AM
First question about the manual's recommendation. What octane rating scale, if any, did the manual use along with the 89 numbers. Was it research, motor, or R + M. IIRC unleaded regular pump gasoline in most states (except higher elevations) is 87 (R + M) octane. We need to know what octane rating scale they are asking for to determine if standard 87 R+M unleaded gasoline is sufficient. One is higher than the other and they average to 87. I think some other countries do not use R+M as we do. This is possibly why the 89 is called out.

beaver
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't think the manual made any mention of the octane scale IIRC.

Cigarcop
09-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Personally I would just run the 87, if a problem developes tell the dealer you ran the 89. I seriously don't think there gonna test the fuel. If your that worried, just drain it before you bring it to the dealer.

Richard Martin
09-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Personally I would just run the 87, if a problem developes tell the dealer you ran the 89. I seriously don't think there gonna test the fuel. If your that worried, just drain it before you bring it to the dealer.

They don't need to test the fuel to tell if there has been a failure due to the use of 87 octane. Detonation, as could be caused by the use of too low an octane fuel, would be readily apparent.

Envy Lawn Service
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
They don't need to test the fuel to tell if there has been a failure due to the use of 87 octane. Detonation, as could be caused by the use of too low an octane fuel, would be readily apparent.

Yeah... and frankly I just dooo not get it.

The 89 is at most 10 cent a gallon more and it's going in a separate container anyway :dizzy:

As expensive as 2 cycle fuel is per gallon after adding the cost of mix oil...
What's 10 cents a gallon???

I take it a step further and just run the 93.

John Gamba
09-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah... and frankly I just dooo not get it.

The 89 is at most 10 cent a gallon more and it's going in a separate container anyway :dizzy:

As expensive as 2 cycle fuel is per gallon after adding the cost of mix oil...
What's 10 cents a gallon???

I take it a step further and just run the 93.

I'll secound this!!!

lawnmaniac883
09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
I would prefer to prevent downtime and ruining a fine piece of equipment if it only cost 10 cents more a gallon. JMO

John Gamba
09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I would prefer to prevent downtime and ruining a fine piece of equipment if it only cost 10 cents more a gallon. JMO

Any more????

grass_cuttin_fool
09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Back when gas was $1.00 a gallon for 87 and 93 was $1.20 it was 20% more in cost to run 93. But this day and time with 87 @$3.00 and 93 @$3.20 only about 6% more for premium fuel

beaver
09-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like my next batch 'o' 2 cycle will be 89.

Jason Rose
09-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Buggest problems we have around here with 87 octane is that they are sneaking 6% or so ethanol in there! Anything over 7% has to be posted on the pumps. Our midgrade fuel is 90 octane, but is 10% ethanol, and is also being sold for 2 cents less a gallon than 87 octane!!! I THINK that 93 octane (premium) may be free of ethanol... But of course it's the full 25 cents a gallon higher.

The only equipment I have trouble with is my sthil blower (handheld). Generally I have always used 87 octane in everything but then found out about the ethanol in it. I was curious as to what more (10%) may do... So I filled up the 2 stroke can with that last time. Everything runs seemingly the same, however my trimmers all smoke on start-up and off and on while running. They NEVER smoked before. The blower runs the same. Next fuel up is going to be PREMIUM, and I will pay attention to see if there any differences in preformance and see if the smoking dissapears. (I always use OPTI-2 oil too!)

Lawn-Scapes
09-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Can someone tell me if this blower will fit on a TrimmerTrap blower rack?

dcplace2004
09-29-2005, 04:35 AM
to use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with minimum octane of 89...they do not say, but is 93 better?...now, they say that if the mid-grade is not 89, then to use premium...why don't they just come out and say premium--period...again, is 93 better, cause if it is, I will run it...

Richard Martin
09-29-2005, 04:46 AM

It (the Stihl 4 Mix) won't fit on the Trimmer Trap that is made specifically for Stihl blowers. A buddy of mine has the regular rack and I will see if it fits that one.

John Gamba
09-29-2005, 08:02 AM
It (the Stihl 4 Mix) won't fit on the Trimmer Trap that is made specifically for Stihl blowers. A buddy of mine has the regular rack and I will see if it fits that one.

It will fit the grid iron b/p blower rack.

Richard Martin
09-30-2005, 02:16 PM

It will fit the rack but the rack will break the blower handle. The handle on the BR600 is set back from the back padding and it causes the blower to not sit properly on the rack. The hoop on the Trimmer Trap puts a lot of pressure on the handle and will surely break it if the hoop isn't reshaped slightly.

Lawn-Scapes
09-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info Richard...

BTW... I guess there wasn't a Maryland BBQ this year... because of the poor turn out from last year?

Richard Martin
09-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info Richard...

BTW... I guess there wasn't a Maryland BBQ this year... because of the poor turn out from last year?

The Maryland Cookout and Competition? I had the first one back in 2002. It went great. The second one was in 2003. It stunk. No more since then. Sorry.

Lawn-Scapes
09-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Has it been 2 years... when only one person showed up? Where does the time go?

I'm sorry too... You think you'll ever try it again?