PDA

View Full Version : has any one tried composted horse manure?

northwest lawn
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
my brothers girlfriend has a horse farm and they take the manure and let redworms decompose it. then they sell it for gardening purposes. does any one know how this would affect the lawn and how much do put down per 1,000sq ft

northwest lawn
09-27-2005, 07:31 PM
come on guys? any replies will help

olderthandirt
09-27-2005, 08:44 PM
horse manure is filled with seeds even after decomposing. I would never use it for a lawn, all that you would end up with is a weed field
BTW-- your brothers girlfriend found a good way to get rid of it. around here it gets piled up and you have to pay to have it hauled away

northwest lawn
09-27-2005, 09:51 PM
mac,
thanx for the reply i was afraid to use it because of it burning the lawn, i guess they sell a ton of it to people to use as garden fert. as well as lawns so you answered my question. thanx

dvmcmrhp52
09-27-2005, 09:58 PM
It's fine for vegetable gardens and such, but as Mac said, it contains too many weed seeds and such for use on much else.

It can be composted and used after proper temperature is reached to kill off the seeds, but that requires constant turning and rotation to achieve.

cenlo
10-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I was just about to ask the same question! I live in Northern Ontario and a friend of mine also has a horse farm and has enough "crap" for about thirty truck loads. It seems like a waste to not use it.Where would you look for proper composting?

northwest lawn
10-01-2005, 08:46 PM
turns out after i talked to her uncle what he does is puts it into a bin and lets redworms decompose it and the final product is worm castings....he also said that one of the golf courses used it on their boxed tees and the couldnt keep up with mowing thats how good this stuff is.. he also said he did some expirements of his own and found out that seeds start 65% faster in the castings than any other soil. i purchased five bags and am gonna try it out hopefully it will work

cenlo
10-02-2005, 08:59 AM
turns out after i talked to her uncle what he does is puts it into a bin and lets redworms decompose it and the final product is worm castings....he also said that one of the golf courses used it on their boxed tees and the couldnt keep up with mowing thats how good this stuff is.. he also said he did some expirements of his own and found out that seeds start 65% faster in the castings than any other soil. i purchased five bags and am gonna try it out hopefully it will work

Let me know the results. Also, how much per bag does he sell it for, and how big?

northwest lawn
10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
for a fifty pound grain bag filled he charged me ten bucks if i went bulk it would be $150.00 yard which is alot cheaper he says one yard proly weihgs around a ton and a half ill def. let u know on the results.

dvmcmrhp52
10-03-2005, 05:47 PM
for a fifty pound grain bag filled he charged me ten bucks if i went bulk it would be $150.00 yard which is alot cheaper he says one yard proly weihgs around a ton and a half ill def. let u know on the results.

$150/yd is some pretty expensive stuff.

cenlo
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
$150/yd is some pretty expensive stuff.

Especially when the stuff is ...............crap! :) :) :)

dvmcmrhp52
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Especially when the stuff is ...............crap! :) :) :)

Yes. :help: :waving:

northwest lawn
10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
but if it starts seeds 65% faster i feel it is worth it.

Gilla Gorilla
10-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Oh come on now Northwest, your just full of CRAP now. :)

northwest lawn
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
no seriously i would pay that much in a heart beat if it truly gave the same results that they claim and if the plants did that much better in it. jmo but a good product is worth paying for

dvmcmrhp52
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Decent topsoil goes for $30/yd around here..........I'll add fertilizer instead. :waving:

olderthandirt
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
It won't start the seed faster, it may make the shoot grow faster once it has germinated but it will have no affect on the speed of germination. A god started fert will do the same thing at a lot less cost.

nocutting
10-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Get the Scoop on Horse Poop,....most will admit that its used in the garden in the fall, [ has all winter to have the high concentrations of urine washed out of it......Since most Horse Owners have them for Show, most of these guys are fed very good alphalfa, which all the excess neutrients are peeded out on a daily basis,,,,,,,,,,,it may be differnt if the manure came from wild heards or those that are just grass fed,but those days are long gone? [ we have several].....nice thought though.......... :waving:

Microbe
10-09-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't know how to take somebody's statement and post it before my post yet so...... About the golf course statement... I thought according to "oldrthandirt," which is very old I must say :) "horse manure is full of seeds." How can somebody apply such a product to a golfcourse with great results? Also, how did he apply it? As a top dressing? :pumpkin:

cedarcroft
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I am thinking of shredding leaves and mixing it with horse manure and letting it compost. If I can get $150 a yard for it, I will squeeze **** out of every horse on the east coast!!