PDA

View Full Version : Kohler ticking extremely loud on hill?

2k1yzfr1
09-27-2005, 12:20 AM
I have a couple year old 36" exmark with a 15 Kohler and have been having some abnormal ticking here and there mostly it seems when the mower is on an incline. Today I was mowing along a ditch that wasn't that steep, but the mower started making an ungodly noise. What would cause it to make more noise when on an incline? BTW I am using 10-30 Amsoil and have been since the first of the season. Any idea what the deal is? Or what I can do to fix it?

EJK2352
09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Low oil level maybe????

2k1yzfr1
09-27-2005, 12:32 AM
right on the full mark.

2k1yzfr1
09-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Well I think I solved my ticking problem, but have discovered another problem. I checked the oil level this past wednesday and it was on the full mark now it was 1/2 way between the add and the end of the dipstick. Looks like I need to look for the oil leak/burning problem and it might cure the tick. :realmad:

TClawn
09-27-2005, 12:47 AM
I think you void your warranty if you don't check it at the start of each day. there as a guy who had the same thing that you are explaining happen, but he didn't check his oil for two weeks, and the engine siezed.

MTR
09-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I have a couple year old 36" exmark with a 15 Kohler and have been having some abnormal ticking here and there mostly it seems when the mower is on an incline. Today I was mowing along a ditch that wasn't that steep, but the mower started making an ungodly noise. What would cause it to make more noise when on an incline? BTW I am using 10-30 Amsoil and have been since the first of the season. Any idea what the deal is? Or what I can do to fix it?

Nothing to say bad about Koh engines, but it seems to me that all smaller Koh have had some problems all the times except its 27 koh. I can't see how and why only one particular model is good and the rest is having problems there and here. Not only you have that ticking thing, there are many who run koh and have various problems, white smoke, leaks, shot, dying on hills, low torque, etc.

2k1yzfr1
09-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Funny thing my 27 kohler on a 52" toro Z is in the shop with under 400 hours getting the intake gasket replaced.

jc50292
09-27-2005, 02:10 AM
I had a kohler command 15 make an ungodly noise. I had noticed the engine burning oil after about 20 hours. I kept changing it every 50...it burned up at 136 hours. They said dirt was introduced to the engine due to improper maintenance. Pttthhhhhpppptttttttt!!!
I had changed the oil 3 times at that point. Cleaned the air filter(prefilter) every day. Checked the oil EVERY TIME before starting it. Teaching my kids the way to take care of the stuff they will eventually have themselves. I was using 10W40, should have been using 10W30, but that wasn't the reason for the dirt. I spoke to Kohler, and a technician that used to work on the engines said that the tube running from the bottom of the carbueretor to the valve cover sometimes vibrates loose, allowing dirt to get sucked into the carb. He said he's seen it happen. Well, long story short, after many excuses, the dealer honored the warranty. I had noticed before, that there would be a fine grit in the carbueretor throat. The dealer said that Kohler told him it was impossible to keep all dirt out of the engine. I put some gasket maker around that tube where it enters the valve cover and guess what? NO MORE GRIT! Hmmmmm.....

Richard Martin
09-27-2005, 03:22 AM
Well I think I solved my ticking problem, but have discovered another problem. I checked the oil level this past wednesday and it was on the full mark now it was 1/2 way between the add and the end of the dipstick. Looks like I need to look for the oil leak/burning problem and it might cure the tick. :realmad:

If you don't have a leak then it's burning it. Before you do anything else try this. Remove the Amsoil and replace it with a conventional 10w30 like Penzoil or whatever you like. Check your RPM and make sure you're not over 3600 with the blades on. Do those 2 things and see if it stops using oil (assuming you've checked for leaks).

LawnBrother
09-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Could it be valve lifter noise? I have a 15hp Command Pro and it was making some ticking sounds also. Mechanic said it was the lifters and recommended Motorcraft 10w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. That was way back in spring, no noise since then. Runs quiet and still starts easily, and uses very little oil.

DGM
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Synthetic oils or not recommended for small engines, they will consume it. Then you will have a low oil situation and then a worn out engine. Read the manual and use what is recommended. Also most ticking nosie from kohlers in my experience has been valve liter noises.

MTR
09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
FYI, I only and will only use Amsoil 10-30 ( 1.9qt) on my little 17 kawi. The machine runs like workhorse, tight, smooth and cutting virtually everything in front of it, so I don't know...what to say, besides, eXmark tech said it is good to use 10-30 synthetic on all of its kawis....so go figure.
May be kawi & honda is the way to go?

MTR
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Funny thing my 27 kohler on a 52" toro Z is in the shop with under 400 hours getting the intake gasket replaced.

That sucks, I heard Koh 27 is the crown prince as most of the "most" expensive or "top" of the line Z using them...Turf Tiger 52/27, Lazer Z 52/27, your Toro 52/27 big frame, Super Z 52-60/27, Gravely pm252, etc.
One thing, I asked Lesco manager why Lesco don't have Koh choice on its mowers, wb, and Z...he said, Koh is the pita, too many problems come with its engine in the past...and make Lesco bad name, so now everything Lesco carries is Kawi. Anyone can add in?

Richard Martin
09-27-2005, 02:56 PM
That sucks, I heard Koh 27 is the crown prince as most of the "most" expensive or "top" of the line Z using them... Anyone can add in?

Yeah, the Crown Prince in Kohler's lineup is the 28 EFI.

GreenUtah
09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
I will add a little to this thread. 3 years ago, we had a kohler 15 on a brand new exmark walkbehind(36). At 65 hours, the machine seized and died. No ungodly noises, no burning oil and no warning. Machine returned to the dealer, they called the local Kohler distributor and they decided to claim the mower was out of oil. The oil was dark and approaching it's next change, but still full when it was brought back to our shop dead. Asked them to show me the bluing inside the case, which surely would be present if it had been run out of oil. There was none. Pressed the matter with Kohler and they decided to stand with their local distributor, site unseen. In short, they refused warranty on their engine without a valid reason for doing so. Electric start Kaw was purchased the next morning, from another vendor and bolted straight in. It was also the last piece of equipment purchased from that dealer, after tens of thousands of dollars worth previously. I've heard rattling on the larger engines before and it was generally the rocker. The lifters are hydraulic and if grit gets into them, they can put a little too much pressure on the bolts securing the rocker. Kohler did an upgrade of the rocker saddle and bolts for this reason for those of you with engines more than a couple of years old. For those of you who have run the small hondas on various equipment in the past, but have considered them too expensive for the larger motors, keep your eyes open. Honda is getting aggressive in these mid hp engines and would probably like to eat into Kawis market share.

bakerlawnservice
09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
i have a kohler 23pro on the exmark turf tracer 60". It ran like a top for a couple of years then it started TICKING loudly like an engine without oil. The oil level were fine, have always been fine. I have spoke with a mechanic about this and he stated that the lifters were loosing their prime and that it happens from time to time with a kohler engine. I am always nervous when this happens cause it sounds like it is going to blow up, but it hasnt. I also have a Exmark lazer 27 liq cooled kaw. most awesome mower around. I read your reply earlier on the diesel oil... do you guys really think that will work..

sbaker

lawnmaniac883
09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Im sure I will get railed on for this but, IMO kohler should stick to making and selling faucets at home cheapo.

Scotts' Yard Care
09-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Does anyone offer the Briggs industrial grade engines on their mowers? Are these a true commercial engine? Vanguard?

ed2hess
09-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Seafoam in the oil will usually take care of the Kohler valve noise.