PDA

View Full Version : rock planter

n2h20
09-27-2005, 01:46 AM
so this was my first attempt at a planter.. my friend is a sign guy and wanted us both to work on the planter ... so here it is .. what do you think?

sheshovel
09-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Well here's what I think,I would say you did a real nice job for your 1st attempt.But if you want me to tell you the truth
I think next time you should make your joints smaller
(less space bettween the rocks)and not use so many small rocks.
Also it looks like you were trying too hard with your placement of them.
You need to place them more in relation to other rather than side by side.Ya know what I mean? :D
Don't take offence,I really think it's good for your first one.
Oh and I don't care for that type of cap for that kind of informal wall.But you did OK

Dirty Water
09-27-2005, 02:14 AM
It looks like cultured stone on a concrete wall? Am I right?

n2h20
09-27-2005, 02:19 AM
actually the city made us use that cap.. its a "high class city" i wanted something el natural.. like flagstone or something.
the joints are mostly 1/2" between rock.. some vary..
Real rock, block wall.

thank you...

n2h20
09-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Also it looks like you were trying too hard with your placement of them.
You need to place them more in relation to other rather than side by side.Ya know what I mean? :D

not really, what DO you mean? they are to close or to much of a repetition?

oh and the dark spots near the cap and on the ground (that annoy me).,. are water.. the gardner likes his water...

Dirty Water
09-27-2005, 02:22 AM
Well you did a great job of keeping the wall very well aligned verticly for being real rocks...It really looks like a concrete wall with cultured stone to me.

treedoc1
09-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Weep holes next time at the base?

neversatisfiedj
09-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Good job ----

jd boy
09-27-2005, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=sheshovel]Well here's what I think,I would say you did a real nice job for your 1st attempt.But if you want me to tell you the truth
I think next time you should make your joints smaller

you must be the worlds best landscaper. i can't think of the last time i read a thread you responded to that you didn't have a better way to do something.
usually i don't care, everyone has their opinions, but it is the same thing from you every time.
if you can spare a minute maybe you could share with us the flawless jobs you construct.

n2h20
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
ive got hidden weep holes in there.. thats why its all wet. i think the gardner has the sprinklers on for 20 mins everyother day... hes crazy////

would you guys have used regular spray sprinklers or that brown toro drip poly drip line?

sheshovel
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I did not say "repetition"I said "in relation to one another",I also thought it was cultured stone.

You can stick it JD boy,and I will be glad to post some pics.
I have to go back to jobs I did a 5 and 6 years ago when I did that kind of work and that means run all over these hills and withg the price of gas right now I don't intend to do that.
But If I am already in the area I will take pics.
I have only had my digital camera for a year now so I don't have any pics of my jobs in digital Mr.SmartAlec. :sleeping:
But that is not the point anyway the point is he asked for my opinion and I gave it and that is none of your business now is it? :cool2:
If your looking for nice that reply is just about as nice as I can get. :angel:

jd boy
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
i anxiously await these pictures. judging by all your posts, I am sure I will learn a lot by viewing them.

ToroLover
09-28-2005, 01:04 AM
jd boy, here is a thread of some her work while you wait for her to post more... :waving:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=118045

Dirty Water
09-28-2005, 01:05 AM
n2h2o:

Because of the density of the planting, and the amount of annuals planted, I would use Rainbird 1804 spray heads. They should run for about 10 minutes every other day or so.

sheshovel
09-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Ok Jd boy but really if I don't have before pics because I wasen't taking pics of my work at the time and these are jobs I did a while ago,how can you tell if I did the work or someone else did it?You can't.Without before pics it's anybodys guess who did it.But just for you I will post some"afters"and you will just have to take my word for it huh?
Here are two to start.

sheshovel
09-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I did not do these alone I had helpers.I think it's stupid to post work that you have no before pics of that's why I have not posted any of my old work....So Jd boy go for it say what you want,I never claimed to be
"The Perfect Landscaper"
but I don't think it's to shabby for womans work.

n2h20
09-28-2005, 01:46 AM
sheshovel are you in the sierra's?

jd boy
09-28-2005, 07:49 AM
woman's work?

sheshovel
09-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Yes I am in the Sierra's
Yes I am a Woman

jd boy
09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
sarcasm is so hard to get across in type.
your name is so subtle, I would have never guessed you were a lady

but seriously why does that matter. if you know enough to constantly dictate the flaws in everybody's work your's should still be above par. To date i am not that impressed.

sheshovel
09-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Well ya know what jd
I am not here to impress you.
I am here to try and give help and advice.
Everyone knows that when you put your work up for all to see and ask someone what they think of it,you will usually get what you ask for and some people think that's a good thing,in fact this poster agreed with me .
I gave him advice that may help him down the road on his next job,it even might make him some good money too if he chooses to use that advice.I also praised him for a good job.
I was not trying to tear him down.If the work is exellent,I say so,if it is not I say so.
If you don't like it don't read it.
Stick it :cool2:

mbella
09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Sheshovel, that looks really nice. What are those caps made out of?

sheshovel
09-29-2005, 01:51 AM
They are just casted concrete.

daveintoledo
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
hahahaahh wow what a great job...... ive worked with some mighty fine masons, and that is as good as ive ever seen... maybe someday ill be that good... not today though :)

cgland
09-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Tell me Sheshovel........If you know what you are doing as a landscaper, hardscaper, or whatever, what does it matter if you are a woman or not? Do you think that women landscapers are inferior to men? It really gets my goat when women landscapers post pics of work and say "It's not bad for a woman!" If you are a true green industry professional, it doesn't matter if you are a man, woman, mexican, midget...etc. Credentials are credentials and the proof is in the pudding. If your work sucks I wouldn't say " It sucks for a man, but it's good for a woman" That is idiotic.

Chris

Dirty Water
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
it doesn't matter if you are a man, woman, mexican, midget...etc.

I'd actually be damn impressed if a midget built a wall that tall.

:laugh:

betterlawn
09-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Tell me Sheshovel........If you know what you are doing as a landscaper, hardscaper, or whatever, what does it matter if you are a woman or not? Do you think that women landscapers are inferior to men? It really gets my goat when women landscapers post pics of work and say "It's not bad for a woman!" If you are a true green industry professional, it doesn't matter if you are a man, woman, mexican, midget...etc. Credentials are credentials and the proof is in the pudding. If your work sucks I wouldn't say " It sucks for a man, but it's good for a woman" That is idiotic.

Chris

Sarcasm anyone? I think the men on this sight can be a lot bitchier than most women I know... :waving:

sheshovel
10-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Like I said I do not count those walls as true credentials on here anyway because I think it is unethical to post pics of work without before pics.And you are correct,it should not matter if I am a man or a woman,and I should not have said("Not too shabby for womens work")I have just found it very rare to find any women doing that kind of work around here.One of the reasons I stopped offering work like that is because it got to be too hard on me,and it flat wore me out for too long after the job was complete.

mbella
10-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Sheshovel, I don't think it's "unethical" to post finished pics without before pics. However, it may seem suspicious if an individual post pics which seem to be beyond the scope of that individual's ability as indicated by prior pics or posts.

I post a lot of pics. I do so because I enjoy looking at pics of the work of others and I think others enjoy the same. I wish other members would post more pics.

cgland
10-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Truthully, I never take before pics! Bad habit...maybe. Necessary...I think not! So I guess all the pics I have posted make me a scam artist with no real sense of ethics.

Chris

sheshovel
10-02-2005, 02:01 AM
Well,I am sorry I said "I think"not what you may think about it.To me before pics show that hey,you were there before and after the job...meaning it's proof to me that you really did the work...anyone can take pics of anybodys work and just say it was their work if there are no before pics .They can do it with before pics too I suppose.I never said you were a scam artist..I am sure you have a good sence of ethics..I just gave my opinion on pics is all.

stoneseller
10-02-2005, 08:14 AM
I think both n2h20's & sheshovel work look pretty good.
I have to somewhat agree with sheshovels comment that the joints are a bit big, but overall it's a very nice peice of work.
What I will critique on both poster's photos.
You should try to eliminate as many long vertical joints as possible. Long horizontal joints should be avoided as well, but they don't distract from the quality of stonework near as much as one vertical line that runs for more than 2 (small) stones.
Here's a link to a photo of an entrance wall done with similarly sized stone as what n2h20 wall used. The stone is more rounded, but the overall style is similar to what could be done with a stone like this.

http://www.rollrock.com/2003WEB/Web%20Pictures/Building%20Stone/Natural%20Fieldstone/Pocono%20Boulder%20Riverstone/pocono%20boulders2.jpg

Hope the link works

David

cgland
10-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey David - I see you posted a rolling rock pic. We buy a ton of stuff there. Is that your job or do you work for them?

chris

stoneseller
10-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Hey David - I see you posted a rolling rock pic. We buy a ton of stuff there. Is that your job or do you work for them?

chris

I sell a lot of their products at my stoneyard in MD.

I see you are in Reading. I was just in your area Friday visiting Rolling Rock at their 50th anniversery open house. Great operation, great products, great staff.

David

www.irwinstone.com

cgland
10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I was there too! How about the guy from Scotland? Amazing!

Chris

stoneseller
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
>>Yeah, I was there too! How about the guy from Scotland? Amazing!<<

He was doing some pretty difficult work. Drystacking such a rounded stone is more difficult & tedious than most productions masons are willing to do. It's nice to watch "old world" technique.

David