PDA

View Full Version : Spreader setting for Overseeding?

kaufmaninc
09-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Alright!! I've got the lesco SS 80# spreader and have been trying to calibrate it for grass seed. It's already calibrated for fert. My problem is that it's been sooo windy that I'm not having any luck and want to get this nailed down.
I'm seeding with Lesco transition blend and need to know the general area on the numbers scale to set the spreader. I need to put down 4#/K with the seed.

thanks in advance

TOMMY1115
09-27-2005, 08:14 AM
"S" for seed!! JUST KIDDING..

Go to your Lesco rep and ask for a "Seed Rate Chart". Basically, you lay this chart on the ground, spread over it, count the # of seeds in the square box and adjust from there.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer, but that should help pin down a true setting.

kaufmaninc
09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
thanks T. They're delivering tomorrow so maybe he's got one on the truck. For fert I have no problem but the seed is kickin my butt.

Anyone else???

kaufmaninc
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
no one knows?

TURF DOCTOR
09-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Use a slit seeder,my 2 cents the seed will not come up,

turfcobob
09-29-2005, 03:20 PM
If you are not seeding correctly why are you doing it? Just being a buddy to the local bird population?

ON the question of seeder settings. It will change with each bag of seed and each type of seed. Go by weight and set the seeder to your best guess. Set the seeder at 50% of what you want to put down say set the seeder for 3 lbs per 1000 if you want to put down 6 lbs per 1000. Go ove the lawn once then measure your seed. If you are going to put down 100 lbs on the lawn and you used 30 lbs the first pass open the seeder some if you put down more than half close it some..Not rocket science just good sense...

But if you are not going to seed correctly...save your time and money...tossing seed out on a lawn is called "Feeding the birds"

KathysLGC
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Try it on the J setting.