PDA

View Full Version : Grubs in October (NJ)..What should I do?

nos3stg
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm getting ready to Aerate, seed, and fertilize my lawn for the fall. The other day I found a few white grubs just under the surface. I live in NJ so I thought that they might die this winter and it may not be worth treating them now. Should I treat for them before I do my fall prep or just do the prep and let them die this winter? or would this be a good time to lay down a slow release grub killer for next season?

Mscotrid
09-27-2005, 11:27 AM
You can always find grubs in a lawn, the question is how much pressure do you have? Normally 1 or 2 is nothing to get excited about. if you see a population of 8-9-10or above a square foot you should be concerned.

The best curative product on the market is the old proven performer Dylox applied at 3lb actual per thousand and needs to water aggressively.

Rtom45
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Also, remember that grubs survive the winter. Although you're a little late, you should treat them this fall. Among other products, Sevin is labelled for control of grubs.

Pilgrims' Pride
09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Dylox is the best product I have found for grubs at this time of year.
Just be sure to water it in properly.

shadoweaglebear
09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
it all depends on what kind of grubs you have. black turfgrass antenius is out now and some chinch bugs are out now also. if that is the problem, then put down marit or mock 2 if you have a liscense. if not, just keep up on your fertillization.

Pilgrims' Pride
09-27-2005, 06:39 PM
I don't know about NJ but here it is WAY to late for merit and Mach II doesnt work woth a darn.

DYLOX

Runner
09-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Also, remember that grubs survive the winter. Although you're a little late, you should treat them this fall. Among other products, Sevin is labelled for control of grubs.

Sevin is NOT labeled to control grubs.
NOW is the time to control them because this is when they are and will be doing all their damage. When they are in theor 3rd instar, and come back up in the spring, they don't feed enough to really do any damage. Besides that, by then all their damage is done. earlier in another thread, someone had recommended putting down Merit in the spring. This is incorrect, allso, because that is ay too early. It will not affect the large adult grubs that are resurfacing from overwintering, and it will be all dissolved by the time the new ones hatch out in July-August.

trimmasters
09-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Reread your Sevin lable, im pretty sure grubs are on there, though im thinking you need 6oz per thousand

blue bull
09-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Use Dylox now and water it in. Mach 2 is a prevenative and must be put down around May- June time frame. When they are laying eggs is the besy time.

Grandview
09-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Mach 2 and Merit only work on first enstar grubs(right after egg hatch). If you are seeing grubs it is too late for these products. Dylox is your best option. I would treat if you have a lot of grubs and skunks or raccoons are doing significant damage looking for grubs.

Runner
09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Grubs are indeed on the Sevin label. I think I just "deleted" them in my own moind because of the success we had using Sevin for grubs. I think it was a "no-go" when we used it in the past for that.

CutApproved
09-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't have my pesticide license so I hired my friend to put down the Dylox,
The problem I have is theres a large (60%) of the front yard that still looks dead, but the surrounding area is green.
The lawn had/has grubs & the moth looking bugs. Will I need to put seed down in order for the dead area grow grass again.
Customer is really upset and wants a green lawn. (by the way he's a brand new client that fired the last guy)

Any help would be appreciated.

NattyLawn
09-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Any part of turf that can be pulled back like carpet is dead, and needs to be re-seeded. Grubs clip off the root from the blade.

Runner
10-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep. look into a total renovation of that whole area of lawn.

Jason Rose
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Any part of turf that can be pulled back like carpet is dead, and needs to be re-seeded. Grubs clip off the root from the blade.

Unless it's brown, it ain't dead! Iv'e seen this happen before to lawns and as you can keep the water on it it WILL re-root. Not any different than laying sod really.

I'm a little late, but I agree DYLOX is the way to go. I treated most of my lawns this season for grubs with Mach II (preventitive). But then had one lawn start looking bad. A few weeks go by, watering was increaced and it was just looking worse. I grabbed a shovel and dug about 6" diameter circles a couple inches deep and found about 6 to 10 grubs in the 6" circle!!!! So much for Mach II!!!

This only happened on ONE lawn. I checked numerous others that had spots that looked suspicious and couldn't find a single grub. I called Lesco and asked the guy there and was told that sometimes the chemical will break down in the soil to quickly. DOW, that makes the Mach II addresses the issue when there's a complaint and Lesco GAVE me Dylox to cover the lawn. He was also willing to give me a % off for the seed to rennovate it. He said that he calls the chem company and they will reemburse them for the costs.

Runner
10-01-2005, 11:26 PM
The same thing holds true with the Dylox. The stuff is worthless when put down at the recommended rate. You have to do about 3 times for the stuff to finally work. Our guys at Lesco are grasping for straws when trying to justify why it doesn't work at the recommended rates. We are even being told the PH in the water can break it down. All I know, is I've put bags and bags of the stuff down at the recommended rates, and 2-3 weeks later, there are still grubs that are active. I've discussed this with a friend of mine in the business who has over 20 years experience and was a golf course Super.. It's like he says,....the days of Dursban, Diazinon, and products that WORK are long gone.

lawnservice
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
...days of Dursban, Diazinon, and products that WORK are long gone.
Diazinon was a terrible grub control. at best you'd get 60% control.
Dylox will get you 75% control and has a fairly quick knock down...7-10 days.

if you're having failure with dylox could it be that the lawns are to thatchy? or product not watered in properly? or possibly that the population of grubs is so heavy that 75% control will still leave enough live grubs to contine to cause damage?

NattyLawn
10-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Dylox has worked well for me, as long as it's watered in properly. Applied on a
Friday, had customer water in and went back Monday to monitor. It looked like a grub cemetary. About 60 grubs dead on the surface.

CutApproved
10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all who responded.
Most of what everyone said seems true.

The lawn i don't feel is dead, you can peel back the turf but theres still root.
There is not a lot a thatch so thats not it and the sprinkler system was turned on so that can't be it either.
Put the application of Dylox down over 2 weeks ago,, STILL HAVE GRUBS!

Now I feel I should aerate the entire area, maybe going over it in 2 or 3 different directions, top dress and put seed down.
By the way the lawn is sod.

Pilgrims' Pride
10-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Aerating a grub damaged lawn may be a mistake.
You have said that the lawn pulls up readily.
Those aerator tines are real good at pullin stuff up!

NattyLawn
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
PP is right about aerating. You will pull everything up...When was the lawn sodded? Is it possible that some of it did not root?

CutApproved
10-06-2005, 10:08 AM
The lawn was sodded years ago. The lawn does pull back but my friend looked at it and he says theres still root, but still grubs too.
He's the one who suggested aerated it. I kinda don't think it will rip it all up.
BUT if it does I was planning on top dressing it anyway, so whether it does or doesn't I'm still OK aren't I ??

Thanks again for all you input.

Runner
10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks to all who responded.
Most of what everyone said seems true.
Put the application of Dylox down over 2 weeks ago,, STILL HAVE GRUBS!

Again,...there's that Dylox thing.

lawnservice
10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
dylox, in my opinion, is the best grub curative control on the market.

it does have a fairly short shelf life however. so if you been using dylox that has been hanging around your shop for a season or more, or if your vendor doesnt move a lot of it and its been hanging around his shop you may need to kick up the rate for better control.