PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Season Ending Early

milo
09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I Think I Will Only Be Cutting My People One More Time This Year. I Still Have Leaf Clean Up In A Few But That Is It. This Year Really Went Down Hill With No Rain. Hope Next Year Is Better

bobbygedd
09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
yup. did u ever hear the guys say, "you can't charge extra when it's raining alot, or when it grows real fast, afterall, it's not the customers fault. and besides, it all evens out, in the summer when it doesn't grow, we still get paid the same." HA HA HA HA. this year, where i live, there is no way in hell you cut every week. and if you did, you still got humped, cus you were cleaning up leaves, not just cutting grass. and you werent getting paid for it! grasscutting 2005 was over about 1.5 months ago. leaf season will be total kaos.

mcwlandscaping
09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with you, my lawns are slowed down to every other week at the most frequent and the leaves are starting to fall. Works out for me with the leaves because it gives me more daylight hours after school to take care of them. Overall, its a disappointment because i am loosing money because of the drought and i know that is nothing compared to what some of you other guys are loosing. Anyway, we can only hope for a better one next year! Good luck to all for this leaf season!

grass_cuttin_fool
09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Im thankfull for crab grass, seems thats all that is growing and that isnt much, 3 weeks with little or no work, come on leaf season lol

Cigarcop
09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
milo,

I agree with you that the grass is just about done and what a disappointing season it was. If it ever rains and softens the ground I have some aeration/seeding jobs, then leaf clean ups.
The good news is archery season opens up this Saturday!

DLS1
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
It has been great here in the Midwest. Still cutting every week. Seems like last year you guys back east were getting all the rain and we were cutting every other week at this time. Who knows what will happen next year.

jt5019
09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
It was real slow here but we had a good burst of rain a few days ago and the lawns perkerd right back up.I actually saw a few clumps today ....first time all summer.

rodfather
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't even want to think how much my business lost since the 1st of August.

6'7 330
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
No slow down in Chi-town.Even with a brutal hot summer,we have done real well this season.

Metro Lawn
09-27-2005, 04:37 PM
No money lost here either. Actually made more since the summer was dry. The jobs are easier and take less time.

lawn_jockey
09-27-2005, 04:41 PM
I went headstrong this year with marketing and buying equipment forgetting to save my eggs for the winter. Hopefully I can do plenty of Leaf cleanups and winter rye to get me through. Mowing is dropping off for me too. Christmas lights anyone?

PMLAWN
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Cutting is a joke here and we need to ware goggles to keep the dust out of the eyes and masks so we can breath. Bummer

The real hurt is aerating as it is too hard to break the surface. The Plugger is like a jack hammer. NC red clay is like concrete when dry. Even the people that water before we come just get the surface wet.

Rita came through yesterday and all we got was a sprinkle. No real rain.
Over 6 weeks now since rain.
Only bright spot is that if we get wet we will get another 8 weeks out of our season. Feel for you all up north.

RedWingsDet
09-27-2005, 04:45 PM
No money lost here either. Actually made more since the summer was dry. The jobs are easier and take less time.

Plus the peoples whos lawn did get burnt, would opt for a new lawn.

6'7 330
09-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Plus the peoples whos lawn did get burnt, would opt for a new lawn.
Right you are my man. We have deluged by one-time clients, who didnít irrigate their lawns.

Fantasy Lawns
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Our last cut will be Dec 23rd ..... n than the 1st cut of the new year .... Jan 3rd ;-)

dlandscaping
09-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Here in Mass, it seemed like it rained whenever we started to go in a drought. The closest we came to a drought was 3-4 weeks w/o rain, and a few days of 85+. During the last part of that time, I switched to 10days, but then it rained a couple inches, and its been fine since.

milo
09-28-2005, 12:51 PM
milo,

I agree with you that the grass is just about done and what a disappointing season it was. If it ever rains and softens the ground I have some aeration/seeding jobs, then leaf clean ups.
The good news is archery season opens up this Saturday!
hey, do you live by zerns? we go there all the time for something to do. and yes they year is a waste..

Cigarcop
09-28-2005, 01:05 PM
milo,

Yeah, I live about 5 minutes from Zerns, that place has gone down hill a bit to say the least, on Friday and Saturdays they have a plant auction, sometimes you can pick up some decent stuff cheap.

I just got in from cutting or should I say looking for something to cut!!! I did 8 this morning but thats it I'm sad to say....we need rain.