PDA

View Full Version : Your reaction to your dealer doing apps

GreenUtah
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Let's say that you have a local supplier who has a manager doing apps after work, presumably giving himself the greatest discount on materials. Perhaps he's doing the apps for contractors that buy other items from his store or perhaps he's straight out competing in your residential market. Your feelings or course of action?

Pilgrims' Pride
09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
An anonymous phone call to his superiors with enough damning info wouldn't be out of the question.

lawnservice
09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
i wouldnt feel threatened by a part-timer.

chances are he is getting a good discount (possibly a 'five-fingered' discount, if you know what i mean) and he is selling his services to contractors he deals with during his regular 40 hour position.

not a threat, in my opinion

Pilgrims' Pride
09-27-2005, 06:41 PM
i wouldnt feel threatened by a part-timer.

chances are he is getting a good discount (possibly a 'five-fingered' discount, if you know what i mean) and he is selling his services to contractors he deals with during his regular 40 hour position.

not a threat, in my opinion

Not a threat. Just a scum bag.

turf hokie
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
They do it here all the time. Those are the guys who are trying to set themselves up to go full time b/c the supplier is messing with their bonuses, setting stricter policies and selling their manufacturing plants.....ooops too much information????

kcchiefs58
09-27-2005, 11:29 PM
How about one step futher, what if the suppliers head boss is okay with this situation... I think it is unfair if they get a price break and it can be a little bias in some situations, I also know of this kind of situation and I would bet money that they buy chemicals at their dealer cost not what they would sell it to us, but then again I have seen their work and no worries for me.

FINN
09-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I have a supplier in my area that sells to a lot of applicators and also markets a lawn care service. I just laugh when I hear people tell me they buy from them.

lawnservice
09-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Not a threat. Just a scum bag.
or maybe someone trying to make ends meet?

FINN
09-28-2005, 09:38 AM
a person doing some apps on the side to help with thier cash flow is the fine. a company who has made a good living serving the green industry then turns around and starts to market services at the same level of it's customers ....hmmm

Mscotrid
09-28-2005, 11:10 AM
How many of you buy nursery stock from full service Nurseries? Your supporting your competition. I've always felt there is room in this business for those who do it right. I'm more concerned about the the guys & gals who are doing it wrong. As long as they keep their prices up and not ruin the market climate, I'll focus on my own business.

How many school teachers and firefighters out there undercutting the market? They tend to be a problem ecspecially now with aerations going strong in our area. I hate the bastards who post a sign on a street pole, "Aeration $6.00 per 1000." what freaking idiots. :realmad:

GreenUtah
09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Do you buy all your stock from a full service nursery? A plant here and there, sure. The point of this thread is that you ARE directly supporting a wholesale/contractor driven biz that would frankly be out of biz without selling to this type of client. Even if he does a poor job and sticks to market averages,cost wise, he is still removing potential customers from the pool, while being supported by your business. We're not talking about a firefighter nor teacher being on the taxpayer role either. This is someone that knows your chemical costs, possibly your equipment and maybe even your mix based on purchases. Thoughts?

lawnservice
09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
same thought as earlier...not a threat.

now if this person is targeting my customers that would be a different story. But if he is dealing with landscape contractors who buy product/equipment from him and these contractors are asking for help with a particular lawn or maybe a particular pest that is affecting several lawns and this guys goes out to these lawns after hours,,,,no big deal in my opinion.

His boss however may not look at this situation the same as me. as mentioned earlier maybe a call to his boss or corporate headquarters?