PDA

View Full Version : Duramax, Cummins or Power stroke

Az Gardener
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Time to buy a truck I want a diesel this time, shopping late model (99-02) used crew cab for the crew pulling a light 16ft enclosed trailer. No riders or walk behinds just 25"-27" reel mowers and typical pruning tools etc. In the Phoenix heat (97 and cloudy right now). I'm going to post this and get back out in the field. I Look forward to some direction from you old school guys when I return this afternoon. PS. I'm sure this has been gone over before but after 2-hours I can't find it.

RedWingsDet
09-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I like the dodges, i'd rather be cummin than strokin

PMLAWN
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
It sounds like you have a light load. Why do you need the big trailer?
Can you get a little 5X10 and just get a Ranger or S10.
As far as asking about which truck to buy---the cheapest one.
They all will do the job and they all will break down and need service.
This is a "to each their own" answer.

PMLAWN
09-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I like the dodges, i'd rather be cummin than strokin
But the Ford has to come before the Dodge :p

PMLAWN
09-27-2005, 04:54 PM
And by the way the word dodge is in the dictionary

"Move to avoid" :D

Just funning as any one of the AMERICAN trucks will be OK.
I guess that I am old school but I will not buy foreign.

Woody82986
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
I am guessing by the end of this thread, you will have about 25 different opinions ranging from all diesil engines to every gas engine out there because someone is going to think you need a gas engine instead of a diesil engine. Just go out and test drive everything known to man, narrow it down and repeat until you have landed on the truck you like the most.

Metro Lawn
09-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Both the Duramax and the Power Stroke seem to be ok engines. Cummins however has been in the diesel business for decades upon decades. These engines are known to run as high as 1,000,000 miles without a rebuild. This is a hands down answer if your looking for the best diesel out there. Cummins without a dought.

lawnmaniac883
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Cummins with a manual. Try to get a 12 valve or a 3rd generation 24 valve, the 2000-2002 cummins had sh!tty injection pumps with them. Either way definately stick with the cummins.

Tvov
09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
All three are fine. When the Ford 6.0 first came out, it had problems, but as far as I know that has been taken care of. Everyone seems to like the older 7.3 (I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 and love it).

From talking to people, completely unscientific, in general;

Dodge seems to average slighty higher fuel mileage. Depends greatly on how you drive them. Depending on model, they can be Loud.

Ford seems to be right in the middle; good power, decent mileage, etc.

Chevy has the Allison transmission. All I've heard is how great this thing is. Also, at least with the newer ones, the Duramax diesel is QUIET compared to the others.

Everyone I've talked to with any of these trucks likes them.

Az Gardener
09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
I need the bigger trailer for space. We maintain upscale residental homes so we don't cut a lot of grass but we do a lot of trimming, we check and replace low voltage lights, and carry irrigation parts for repairs as well as fertilizers/spreader, Tree stakes, we also carry a anchor case for putting anchors in walls to tie up woody vines. There is more but you probably get the picture. Take all that times two because I run a "split crew" 2-3 guys at one house and 2 at another close by, each crew member has a cart with all the tools for their respective tasks. So no running back and forth to the trailer (theoretically speaking) One truck and trailer and one foreman and two production crews.

TURF DOCTOR
09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Some 1 has stirred up a can of worms.

Prot1
09-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a 2003 duramax and i haven't been very impressed. The motor has been fine and the transmission is absolutely amazing. Those parts aside the truck has been a total piece of ****. The air conditioning on it has gone out 3 times in two years. Every time this happens they replace some module and it works again for about 6 months. You would think they could fix it permanently? The four wheel drive also went out the FIRST time it was ever used. That was a $2500 fix that chevy would only cover half of because the truck was out of warranty. Just this year at about 70,000 miles we had to replace all 8 injectors in the motor. Fortunately chevy covered this under warranty. The power mirrors have gone out once and the heated seats work when they feel like it. Overall i have not been very impressed with this truck and i will buy a powerstroke next time. I had a 95 powerstroke that was as basic as you can buy and i loved it.

Prot1
09-27-2005, 07:31 PM
I guess i should have said how great chevy has been to work with. Overall their customer service has been great. They worked with me on a couple of the items that were out of warranty. They didn't have to do that and i do appreciate it.

stumper1620
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
All three are fine. When the Ford 6.0 first came out, it had problems, but as far as I know that has been taken care of. Everyone seems to like the older 7.3 (I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 and love it).

From talking to people, completely unscientific, in general;

Dodge seems to average slighty higher fuel mileage. Depends greatly on how you drive them. Depending on model, they can be Loud.

Ford seems to be right in the middle; good power, decent mileage, etc.

Chevy has the Allison transmission. All I've heard is how great this thing is. Also, at least with the newer ones, the Duramax diesel is QUIET compared to the others.

Everyone I've talked to with any of these trucks likes them.
I have a PS 7.3, of the 3 from all I've managed to gather for info. I love my truck, THE MILEAGE SUCKS!!!, 300 mile round trip with my new 16' open trailer and all i got was 8.5 mpg. great truck, great motor, great power, SHEEET for mileage.
If i could go back in time I would now be the owner of a DuraMax not a power stroker.

Metro Lawn
09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
sorry, server busy.. caused double post

Metro Lawn
09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
I have a PS 7.3, of the 3 from all I've managed to gather for info. I love my truck, THE MILEAGE SUCKS!!!, 300 mile round trip with my new 16' open trailer and all i got was 8.5 mpg. great truck, great motor, great power, SHEEET for mileage.
If i could go back in time I would now be the owner of a DuraMax not a power stroker.

I hear the same thing about these. Lots of power, but gas truck mileage. I have the old Cummins 1989-1992. They get about 18mpg pulling a trailer. These trucks don't have an overdrive either so a 4x4 with big gears can only get about 65-70 mph on the freeway. I am guessing they would exceed 20mpg with an overdrive. Duramax is too new to have any real issues pro or con.

stumper1620
09-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I hear the same thing about these. Lots of power, but gas truck mileage. I have the old Cummins 1989-1992. They get about 18mpg pulling a trailer. These trucks don't have an overdrive either so a 4x4 with big gears can only get about 65-70 mph on the freeway. I am guessing they would exceed 20mpg with an overdrive. Duramax is too new to have any real issues pro or con.
my uncle has a duramax, He pulled a 32' travel trailer from Alaska to Wisconsin said the worst he got was 18 mpg in the mountains, I can't even get that running empty, no trailer, tail wind at 60 best I manage to get is 14 with an occassional 15 or 16.
I don't care too much for dodge but I really like the Cummins

Guthrie&Co
09-27-2005, 08:52 PM
i have had the cummins and the powerstroke. my dodge had so many problems from the truck to the engine. the pos fell apart at 100k. not to mention that the 12v was the weakest motor i think i have ever come across. i could list for day the trouble i have had out of dodge and the infamous cummins. my psd on the othter hand is the complete opposite. great power, mileage is good, and no problems at all. i vote for the powerstroke. i would rather be stroked than rammed.

rob1325
09-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Have Ford and Dodges. I would say Dodges are a lot better for me. My fords break down alot and tranny always overheat on them. I wish Dodge would come back out with a cab & chassis again. When I buy a new truck, it will be a chevy 5500 4x4, unless dodge comes out with one that size.

all ferris
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a duramax/allison and it has been flawless in the past 3 years. The trany is so nice for pulling (and so is the motor).

stumper1620
09-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I have a duramax/allison and it has been flawless in the past 3 years. The trany is so nice for pulling (and so is the motor).
Allison is a well proven trans. thats why i said if i could go back in time would have a duramax.

Prot1
09-27-2005, 10:08 PM
my uncle has a duramax, He pulled a 32' travel trailer from Alaska to Wisconsin said the worst he got was 18 mpg in the mountains, I can't even get that running empty, no trailer, tail wind at 60 best I manage to get is 14 with an occassional 15 or 16.

Hate to tell you but being the (not so proud) owner of a duramax...your uncle is full of BS. I have been driving this truck for almost 3 years and i have never got 18mpg while pulling anything..let alone in the mountains. I think thats an exageration from someone who really loves that truck. In my experience we average about 8-14 depending on what we are pulling. Keep in mind we have two of these trucks so i would say we have tested the theory.

firstclasslawncareandplow
09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
A very good friend of mime has a duramax and got consitantly 11 mpg towing a 38ft "old school box shape" fifth wheel from michigan to southern california. The secret was a superchip.....with it on lowest power it gave them 2 mpg better. I think this is preety impressve because my vortech 350 gets 10mpg towing my "light" 7x16 lawn trailer

GreginAlaska
09-27-2005, 10:42 PM

There must be something wrong. I have pulled the Bowie 1100 hydroseeder full (about 17,000 pounds) and got 14. With a 16 foot trailer with 4 foot expanded metal sides, hauling a JD 4210 tractor, I get around 17. Mine is a 2001 F350 with 3.73 rearend and auto tranny 4wd.

The oil company I work for just bought us new Chevy Duramax crewcab. It seems real nice but it started making a whistling noise this morning.

dcondon
09-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Power Stroke takes first place and Duramax takes second. Cummins are good but don't care for dodge. JMO :)

niederhauser lawn care
09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Both the Duramax and the Power Stroke seem to be ok engines. Cummins however has been in the diesel business for decades upon decades. These engines are known to run as high as 1,000,000 miles without a rebuild. This is a hands down answer if your looking for the best diesel out there. Cummins without a dought.

Humm who makes the powerstroke motor?????? International!!!!!

Smalltimer1
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Humm who makes the powerstroke motor?????? International!!!!!

International makes good engines. The DT-466 is a bulletproof engine. Originally in the 1066-1586 farm tractors, this engine has seen it all.

niederhauser lawn care
09-27-2005, 11:10 PM
I think all 3 are good truck, they all have pros and cons. I have had some problems with the front ends of my fords but I plow snow with them so I expect that. Chevys ride really nice but I dont think they hold up as good as the fords

6'7 330
09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
We have 2002-03 2500 3500 pickups with a Dmax, and 2-2005 3500 One tons. The power is excellent and these engines are remarkably quiet .Allison trannies are great, but I don’t think the Allison we have on the pickups, makes for the best snow plowing trucks. The only real negative, the mileage on the 2005 trucks has been disappointing.

Guthrie&Co
09-28-2005, 12:25 AM
i heard the allison was a rebuild by checvy. they couldnt afford the reall allision verion of that tranny. so they changed out a few parts to get the cost down. and the dmax? cast iron block and aluminum heads? a match made in heaven

n2h20
09-28-2005, 02:23 AM
here i go with the gas,, great truck,.,.
I have 2 chevys 2500hd 01, 04 never had a problem with either. a/c works, tranny's fine. never heats up... smooth, quite. roomy/
i will buy a duramax next for sure..

stumper1620
09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
There must be something wrong. I have pulled the Bowie 1100 hydroseeder full (about 17,000 pounds) and got 14. With a 16 foot trailer with 4 foot expanded metal sides, hauling a JD 4210 tractor, I get around 17. Mine is a 2001 F350 with 3.73 rearend and auto tranny 4wd.

The oil company I work for just bought us new Chevy Duramax crewcab. It seems real nice but it started making a whistling noise this morning.

Greg,
Mine is a 02 250 with 373s, I just had it in the shop to have it checked out, I gave them the mileage history to day 1 that I got the truck, they supposedly hooked up the diag. equip. and said nothing is wrong. I found the back pressure sensor plugged off, cleaned it and reinstalled it but that don't seem to have changed anything. when I brought it in I told them my air filter turns black with a soot on it. they said that is normal, I fail to believe that, I need new filters at every oil change (4000) also it looks like blowout around the right side of the engine compartment, everything on the right side is coated with soot. This is also claimed to be "normal" This is the second dealer to tell me nothing is wrong. I'm fed up with it, I have 80,000 on it, I think the turbo is screwed up but I can't prove it. with the occasional good mileage I get It seems like something is intermittently operating properly and most times not.

Tvov
09-28-2005, 08:10 AM
The problem with figuring out fuel mileage for trucks is all the variations they come in. A friend just bought a 2005 Chevy duramax 4wd dually dump, and is averaging 9mpg so far. But I think that has the 4.10 rear end, and he always has a load with around the town, local driving.

I just bought a 2000 F-250 this spring, it has 24,000 miles (yes, on a five year old truck!). It has the 7.3 and 3.73 rear end, 2 wheel drive extended cab short bed. I am averaging 13mpg towing a loaded 16' mowing trailer and/or a 21' camper. Unloaded, I average 17mpg (since I am almost always towing, it can be difficult to get this mileage!). Since this is double to triple the mileage of my '87 F-350 w/ 460 V-8 (averages 7mpg), I am very happy!

DBL
09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Its everyones opinion which truck they like I have an 03 cummins 6spd and i love it and have had no problems. I could go on with with how bad i think other trucks are and how great others are but i drove a tow truck for 2 years and i can say i towed more fords then any other truck

PLM-1
09-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I've gotta Duramax. I get 23 on the highway at 65 mph and about 17-18 around town. Towing my 18' mowing trailer i average about 16. Around town i'm also not an "economy" driver.

LC Scaper
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a 04 6.0 stroker and I love it but it has spent its time in the shop actually it is in the shop right now :rolleyes: But I also really like the cummins my dad has one and it pulls like a freight train. My experience with dodge is not as good though I hgad a half ton that spit 3 trannys. For the years that your looking at i would definitely favor the Ford we run 7.3s at work all with over 200k 4 of them and nary a problem.

Rather Push A Ford Than Drive A Chevy :D

start2finish
09-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Its everyones opinion which truck they like I have an 03 cummins 6spd and i love it and have had no problems. I could go on with with how bad i think other trucks are and how great others are but i drove a tow truck for 2 years and i can say i towed more fords then any other truck

There are more fords on the road silly.

climber
09-28-2005, 08:07 PM
I must say Im hearing all good things about the duramax. And the fact Im a chevy/gmc guy but I love them trucks. But my uncle has a dmax and he beets the he// out of that truck and it been in the shop for oil changes and new tires. He hauls a 22' gooseneck with a New Holland tractor and brush hog I think it weighs around 5tons with trailer and all. But he loves the truck and I think that would be a wise buy if you go with the duramax.

Smalltimer1
09-28-2005, 09:39 PM

And 95% of tow trucks are Fords.... :D

When you outsell the others by a large margin, of course there will be more with problems. Just a fact of life. No machine is perfect.

rob1325
09-28-2005, 11:10 PM
If I could take parts from each my truck would be: Ford F550 4x4 with Cummins motor, and Allison Tranny behind it.

wowlawncare
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
I was a powerstroke man till the day I die. Then I put it up aginst a new cummins. I chose the dodge. It had verry close to the exact same options as the ford and was 3,000 cheaper. Runs great, PLENTY of power. Id recomend cummins to anyone who asks. You cant go wrong.

GreginAlaska
09-29-2005, 02:09 AM
The duramax in our company truck just went down at about 600 miles. The pool vehicle guy said the turbo went out. (whatever that means)

mrusk
09-29-2005, 07:58 AM
I have a 05' Ram 2500 cummins work truck. I love this thing. I had a 03' chevy 2500hd before, and i like the ram more. It rides like a truck. I will never buy a truck again that is not a diesel. This truck just has so much power. I want to chip it and do all that cool stuff to it, but it just don't make sense since i will proably send a crew out with this truck next year. Thats all i need, two knocklehead lawn jockies in a hot rodded truck.

I put 9k on the truckin 6 months and not one proablem. I wish i went stick. But i figured i'd have less proablems overall with an employee driving a auto.

Matt

Travis Followell
09-29-2005, 07:30 PM
We do good to get 17 empty with our Duramax.

UNISCAPER
10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
The 2006 Duramax will have three things new. Nipondenso injection, bulletproof in European isuzu diesels. 50 more horse power, puitting thaem at 375, and 72 more foot pounds of torque.

I don't think they needed any of the above because in the never ending quest to see who has the longest, fattest unit, these manufacturers fail to realize that the trucks these engines occupy are only so heavy and can only stop so fast. With the 2004 Dmax I can pull our 257B, dozer blade and forks on a flatbed up a 6.5° at 80MPH without dropping speed. My buddy can do the same in his 2005 Ford F-350, as can another friend of ours with the new Dodge 600.

Smalltimer1
10-02-2005, 10:49 AM
The 2006 Duramax will have three things new. Nipondenso injection, bulletproof in European isuzu diesels. 50 more horse power, puitting thaem at 375, and 72 more foot pounds of torque.

I don't think they needed any of the above because in the never ending quest to see who has the longest, fattest unit, these manufacturers fail to realize that the trucks these engines occupy are only so heavy and can only stop so fast. With the 2004 Dmax I can pull our 257B, dozer blade and forks on a flatbed up a 6.5° at 80MPH without dropping speed. My buddy can do the same in his 2005 Ford F-350, as can another friend of ours with the new Dodge 600.

It has reached the point where you ask yourself the question: "How much power is too much power?"

Sure, power is great, but at what cost? Adding another $1000 to the cost of the engine? 2 less MPG's? Less overall life out of driveline components?

I'm not real sure about this, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that power is the only reason a person buys a diesel, not to pull, work or otherwise utilize that power in a productive/logical manner. The market is flooded with more and more products for diesels and pretty much all of them say you can't tow beyond x level. What is the purpose of adding all this power if it can't be used??

UNISCAPER
10-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I would be more in favor of seeing manufacturers keep the same power they have and work on fuel milage. Get me 30MPG on a one ton truck first, and as long as the truck does what we are doing now, I don't need more power. That's why nothing we own is going to have chips, or stoopid looking tires with suspensions jacked up 18" in the front, or anything of the above.

outlaw1960
10-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Humm who makes the powerstroke motor?????? International!!!!! Ford owns cummins, 2007 Ford is going to have a twin turbo Cat

efaubert1
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM

First off I don't know what year model you have, but something is wrong. Do you have a cat converter on this truck? I don't use my truck to haul light loads often, moreso 11,000 pounds and up. 1999 7.3PSD 4x4 hauling 11.5k horse trailer 280 miles average of 13.2mpg. Regular mixed driving I can get upwards of 17mpg. 1997 Crew Cab F350 4x4 7.3 PSD hauling 10K+ to Jackson,MS from Indianapolis averaged 14+mpg, but it had a full Banks kit and averaged over 20mpg empty on a daily basis. I've been driving 7.3's since they introduced them in the early nineties and never had an issue. 1997 had 180,000 miles on it when traded and the only thing I ever replaced was the cam positioning sensor, which is the weak link and cost about $60, a 10mm allen wrench, and 10 minutes of my time to fix.

efaubert1
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Humm who makes the powerstroke motor?????? International!!!!! Ford owns cummins, 2007 Ford is going to have a twin turbo Cat

FORD DOES NOT OWN CUMMINS. It is an urban legend. They owned stock in Cummins in the early 90's and sold it in the mid 90's. Check the facts.

efaubert1
10-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Time to buy a truck I want a diesel this time, shopping late model (99-02) used crew cab for the crew pulling a light 16ft enclosed trailer. No riders or walk behinds just 25"-27" reel mowers and typical pruning tools etc. In the Phoenix heat (97 and cloudy right now). I'm going to post this and get back out in the field. I Look forward to some direction from you old school guys when I return this afternoon. PS. I'm sure this has been gone over before but after 2-hours I can't find it.

Ok, first thing he says is he wants a CREW CAB from 99-02. Dodge does not now, nor did they then make a TRUE crew cab. The back seat of an 05 Dodge is no bigger than my extended cab Ford. Chevy and Ford are the only two options he has for crew cab. Me, I just don't care for Chevys interior or hip room at 6'2" and 275. The Durajap diesel is a good motor and the allison tranny is fine too, but I still won't own one. As for Fords, I have owned more than enough 7.3PSD and no turbos to know I like them. I generally don't haul anything that weighs in under 9000 pounds other than my ZTR on a 5x8, and avrage 13+ towing and at LEAST 15+ empty, and I am not an economy driver by any means. Take the muffler off, run 4" pipe straight back to drop the egt and pick up some mpg, not to mention it sounds better. I would say go with the Ford 7.3 or the Chevy with the Allison tranny. As you can see below I am a Ford guy, that loves to tow crap.

http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/03Blue250/602378.jpg
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/03Blue250/213718.jpg
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/03Blue250/284971.jpg
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/03Blue250/599469.jpg
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/03Blue250/296133.jpg

DBL
10-04-2005, 12:24 PM

ford does not own cummins and international doesnt own ford its the other way around and i always did think it was funny why some of the f650s and 750s have a cat in them instead of an international

K&L Landscaping
10-04-2005, 01:14 PM
I also was in the market for a new 1 ton truck this year. I thought I would drive something a little nicer and also get a nice tax incentive. I drove them all 3 and they each had great attributes and poor points. I really liked the Dodge engine but 1 big problem, no chassis truck is available through Dodge. Unfortunately, that eliminated them early. Between the Ford and Chevy I thought was pretty close. I was able to bring both trucks home and put them through a real world test. I loaded the trailer to the gills with everything I could get on an 18' and I started going up mountains. To me, the Duramax felt stronger than the 6.0 powerstroke and the Chevy I tested was a '05 with the 310HP engine ('06 Duramax will have 50 more HP). Ultimately, the Allison transmission was the deciding factor. I ordered the '06 Duramax 3500 and can't wait to get it. By the way, I was able to get everything that was important to me option wise for $3200.00 cheaper than a F-350.

cward76
10-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Seems everone where I live drives a diesel. Most drive ford and dodge. A few chevy's. Seems to me that dodges bigest problem is their wiring. I've know several to burn and I have had a recall myself. I can think of about 20 powerstrokes that the injectors have gone out at about 175,000 miles, including the one I had before my dodge. The story seems to be that you could need a new engine at about 85K to 136K if you buy the duramax. Know of several engines that have had to be replaced, but these guys like power and miliage the have.

UNISCAPER
10-06-2005, 09:45 PM
CWard:

That's interesting, seeing as how the newest Duramax I have added to the fleet has a 400,000 mile engine and 250,000 transmission warranty. 100,000 mile warranty on all other truck components.

In contrast, I lost 4 transmissions in 40,000 miles (give or take a few) with the last F-450 we had, 3 were warranteed, the last was $2,800.00 out of pocket.

cward76
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Well i guess their are good ones out there. I've just been around a lot of bad.

I believe you on the ford. My dad has a F550 that he has had a lot of tranny problems with. The truck has about 155,000K on it and is on his third tranny. However, he has not replaced any of the U-joints.

I would like to see chevy put the duramax in the suburban. I talked to a guy at chevy that said they were looking a smaller diesel for them.

UNISCAPER
10-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Funny you mentioned that....Next year there will be a V-6 Duramax coupled to an Allison in suburbans, at least so the stories go. When I see it I'll believe it.

Guthrie&Co
10-08-2005, 02:55 AM
when chevy gets a real allison i will belive it. chevy coudlt afford to use the version allison sigested to them. so chevy exchanged a few parts out for some cheaper ones. not to mention a cast iron block with the aluminum head on a diesel. which loves heat. sounds like a match made in heaven

UNISCAPER
10-08-2005, 10:26 AM
"not to mention a cast iron block with the aluminum head on a diesel. which loves heat. sounds like a match made in heaven"

As does Caterpillar, Hatz, Cummins on many engines running the mountains, Perkapillar, Kubota and I can name alot more. The entire engine on my Bomag pad foot vibratory roller is aluminum, and diesel, to lessen the top heaviness of the machine and keep it working upright rather than rolling off slopes. Ever had to remove a cast iron diesel head? It's a nut wrenching adventure. We pulled the heads off a buddy of mines 557 cubic inch Hemi one night and I tought I was going to die....We installed aluminum heads and saved 300 lbs.

Aluminum is used to lighten the load. And GM has placed their money where their mouth is by including a 400,000 engine warranty.

As far as the Allison in a GM pick up not being an Allison, remember the 350 cubic inch engine lawsuit? Where GM placed 350 chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and sold them to the public thinking they were Olds engines??

I can assure you the transmission is a real Allison or there would be yet another lawsuit. If I have cylinder head troubles in the future, I'll change my tune about aluminum, but to date, have not had any problems, and with a 400K warranty, I don't anticipate any.

Grassmechanic
10-08-2005, 05:47 PM
The problem with aluminum heads on cast blocks has to do with heat and expansion. Cast iron and aluminum expand and contract at different temps. On early duramax engines, they had head gasket problems due to this. They have since put in better head gaskets. All aluminum engines or all cast engines would be ok as all the parts expand and contract at the same temps.

Guthrie&Co
10-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I was not aware of the gasket change. And chevy has a 400k engine warranty? thats incredible if it is so.

superbee
10-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Buy the Dodge/Cummins. That way, when the truck falls apart, you can still have an engine with about 750,000 miles left on it.

Smalltimer1
10-13-2005, 09:01 AM
I was not aware of the gasket change. And chevy has a 400k engine warranty? thats incredible if it is so.

The 400k warranty is probably on that 6500 truck he's been talking about--I highly doubt we'll ever see this many miles on a pickup warranty--unless someone is paying out the rear for extended warranties.

M RASCOE&SONS
10-14-2005, 07:54 PM
i have the 3500 chevy silverado with a mason dump 4wd and a 6.0 gas and it has plenty of power underload and not too bad on fuel compared to my buddies new dmax 3500 i think for the money i have the best bang for the buck..signed matt