PDA

View Full Version : .95 Echo crossfire trimmer line

FERT-TEK
09-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Is there a better line out there?

soutwestlawns
09-27-2005, 10:46 PM
i prefer gator line, echo line is junk, just my opinion.

lawnwizards
09-27-2005, 11:12 PM
i buy the craphole line from wal-mart.... 4 times the string for the same price. it may not last aslong but i'm sure its not a 4:1 ratio for the premium string.

TClawn
09-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I used to run echo crossfire in my bumps, but got tired of having it bog down in the grass, so I switched to .130 shindaiwa quiettwist. I run it in my bump heads, and it wears forever. a bit hard to get through the holes while winding, but other than that, it is great. never had it weld once. you could probably go with .105 and be ok too. unfortinatly, my dealer doesn't stock it, or I would use .105

dcplace2004
09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
I tried echo crossfire and did not like it at all...a true monster line trimmer has to have a line that will hold up and gator with the aramid material is STRONG and abrasion resistant...echo is good for for wacker from wally world but that is it...Stihl's commercial green round is pretty good...it does NO good to have a powerful trimmer with huge torque when the line is junk...

Keith
09-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I used Crossfire for a while several years ago. I actually prefer the Gator Magnum line though. It's all personal preference.

About a year ago one of my customers, who lives on a corner lot, and kind of on a small hill, gave me an almost-full 5lb spool of .095" Crossfire. He had found it in his yard a few days before. Someone must have come down the hill, rounded the corner and the Echo line just rolled off. At least that's what we figure must have happened.

Envy Lawn Service
09-28-2005, 12:59 AM
As I've said over and over, I like the Sufix Mega Twist line best.
I'd bet the Shindawia and Tanaka twisted lines are good too.

I'm currently testing another line nobody runs here.
Once I'm satisfied with my field use of it I'll post a review.

TClawn
09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
and what line is that, envy?

LwnmwrMan22
09-28-2005, 01:12 AM
I needed some line the other day, didn't realize I was almost out of my Echo line.

I ran into a mower shop and the only thing they had on a spool of any size was some Husqavarna line, the stuff that says it actually has Titanium in it.

Anyways, I've been running it about a week now and actually lasts longer than the Echo stuff. However, it doesn't seem to cut as well. It is however quieter than the Echo.

Guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I do alot of chainlink fencing in the schools and parks that I maintain, so it's good there.

TClawn
09-28-2005, 01:18 AM
I hate, and have always hated smooth round line. it just doesn't seem to slice through the grass like square or twisted line does. the tanaka line if very wear resistant, even more so than the shindaiwa, and I would use it if 1. it was easier to get. and 2. if it was a different color than black.

Up North
09-28-2005, 01:31 AM
I needed some line the other day, didn't realize I was almost out of my Echo line.

I ran into a mower shop and the only thing they had on a spool of any size was some Husqavarna line, the stuff that says it actually has Titanium in it.

Anyways, I've been running it about a week now and actually lasts longer than the Echo stuff. However, it doesn't seem to cut as well. It is however quieter than the Echo.

Guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I do alot of chainlink fencing in the schools and parks that I maintain, so it's good there.

That's the exact same thing I found out. I also use the Echo line and tried some of the Husky Titanium earlier this season, but found that it didn't cut nearly as well after running it for a while. But...I did like it better around the chain link fences. One other thing I liked about it was it didn't kick up pebbles, gravel, etc. nearly as bad as the Echo line. But I went back to the Echo line purely because it cuts better, and cuts better for a longer period of time therefore lasts longer for me. But now I have the little dings and scrapes on my legs again... :rolleyes: (I know, I know, I need to buy me a pair of $30 WE Chapps.)

Buck

topsites
09-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Once you realize that you should run .080, you'll wonder at the insanity of the rest of the world and you'll NEVER run a thick line again. All the .95 does is bog down the rpm's and it doesn't cut as good because it's so thick, the .080 gets at least 20% more rpm's and slices like nobody's business, shape is of no consequence, price and pleasure is.

FERT-TEK
09-28-2005, 08:30 AM
I used Crossfire for a while several years ago. I actually prefer the Gator Magnum line though. It's all personal preference.

About a year ago one of my customers, who lives on a corner lot, and kind of on a small hill, gave me an almost-full 5lb spool of .095" Crossfire. He had found it in his yard a few days before. Someone must have come down the hill, rounded the corner and the Echo line just rolled off. At least that's what we figure must have happened.
or maybe the LCO threw it out his window! HAHA!

naturescape
09-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Once you realize that you should run .080, you'll wonder at the insanity of the rest of the world and you'll NEVER run a thick line again. All the .95 does is bog down the rpm's and it doesn't cut as good because it's so thick, the .080 gets at least 20% more rpm's and slices like nobody's business, shape is of no consequence, price and pleasure is.

SOOO right! I have posted comments to that effect for years here as well. I use Sufix .095, but that is actually even narrower than most brands' .080.

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 02:49 AM
and what line is that, envy?

Playing late night catch-up....

I decided to test a line from Cub Commercial that is more readily available to me than the Sufix.
Still field testing.....

GarPA
10-08-2005, 05:47 AM
I've never really liked Echo Crossfire given the cost of it and that it does not last very long. As someone mentioned above, I get better results with the off brand stuff from Lowes/Walmart giiven its low price compared to Crossfire.

I agree that round line just does not cut as well as square or triangular

lawnboy dan
10-15-2005, 10:39 PM
i think the echo line is a good compromise between round and square line. husky ti line is useless -poor cut and fragile . any one using .80 instead or .95 is nuts or just not experienced enough with a weedeater. the best line i have found is roatry red and white square line. i cut 99% st aug so i need sharp long lasting line. square line can ruin the eyelets in some heads . in these i use echo cross fire .95. i worked for this guy who made us use .80 line and would ration it! i kid you not! we would have to re-string the weedeaters every 2 days cause he would only give us each a 10 foot peice. :angry:

jgc8fan
10-15-2005, 11:01 PM
We just got some new line the other day that we are impressed with. The dealer was out of Echo so we got a 1lb spool of the .095 off brand stuff they carry. It's red and cost about $12, but it feels like heavier line, and doesn't wear as fast. It's so stiff that it doesn't curl around the head either. We used it the whole day and only had to bump feed once at the last job we did when we found out it feeds easier in our Stihl too.

Howard Roark
10-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Absolutely 100% true!!!

I got the chance to visit Travis up at Waco Landscape Supply, and after buying two toro prolines and other accessories, he suggested I try the .080 Econo trimmer line. The price was great so I went for it. This was about 3 weeks ago, and normally on the 3lb. spool of gator or whatever expensive line at .095 I'd be almost through with it. The econo .080 is still 3/4 full on the spool.
I feel like an idiot for going a whole season not using this stuff. RPM's stay crankin' with no bog.

Now, it doesn't edge quite as good as .095, but it's not so bad that people have complained, in fact you can easily get away with it. I plan on switching to stick edgers completely next year so this won't even be an issue.

Bottom line is, try out the .080 and stop wasting your money!!

Envy Lawn Service
10-16-2005, 02:48 AM
The .95 Sufix is like that.

lawnboy dan
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
if your trimmers are bogging w.95 then you are running with too much line out. .80 is for homeowners pros use .95 -and stick edgers

naturescape
10-17-2005, 12:51 AM
if your trimmers are bogging w.95 then you are running with too much line out. .80 is for homeowners pros use .95 -and stick edgers

No. You're running with larger line and cannot HAVE as much line out. ANOTHER reason smaller diam. line is more effective.