PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching spring or fall

DJ Contracting
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey guys and gals is there a specific time you thatch your lawns? somebody told one of my customer that thatching should not be done in the spring and she wants me to do it now in the fall.

HighGrass
09-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Hey guys and gals is there a specific time you thatch your lawns? somebody told one of my customer that thatching should not be done in the spring and she wants me to do it now in the fall.

I was always inder the impression you thatched in the spring. Takes care of all of the dead grass from the prev year and winter.

DLS1
09-28-2005, 03:14 AM
You can do it in the fall. I would wait two weeks to mow after dethatching since it yanks up the grass real good and this will give the grass time to recover before heavy mowing equipment is on it. Good time to put down grass seed since you will be off the grass a few weeks if it is not to late in your area.

If you have never done it before you will be surprised how much dead grass you will be raking and hauling off so price accordingly.

DJ Contracting
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Well it looks like i can do in either season thanks guys.

turfcobob
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
DJ Contracting..

You should only dethatch when absolutly forced to by the amount of thatch or the customer. The damage you do to the grass plant by a quality dethathing job is worse than the benefit. If you are working with northern grasses which I have to believe you are then leave the thatch alone if it is less than 3/8 inch thick. Thatch becomes harmful after it goes north of 1/2 inch. Get your customer to aerate more often and it will do a much better job for the grass and help break down the thatch layer naturally.

If you really must dethatch do it just before prime growing season so the plants have time to heal before bad weather, hot or cold. When you do dethatch use a quality machine with good blades so you do not beat the crown of the plants to death trying to get up thatch.
Turfcobob