PDA

View Full Version : Kohler EFI service in Central Florida?

Keith
09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Who is the EFI guru within 75 miles of Orlando? I went through a living hell with this Exmark two years ago. Some of you may remember that. Anyway nearly the same problem is back. It started stumbling a few weeks ago. I blamed it on the o2 Sensor that had a minor cut in it's lead. Finally a week ago it was dead. I took the o2 out and it looked like it had felt growing on it. Same with the spark plugs. I got a new o2 sensor and plugs and it ran pretty good for 20 minutes of so. Now it is back to the intermittent stumbling and loading up. It goes for about 30 seconds or so then loads up. Apparently the o2 sensor was not the problem, it was merely a result of whatever else is going on.

Brianj
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
might be your ground

palm boy
09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
look up Commercial Lawn Equipment in Lakeland. They are a major Exmark and Hustler dealer. Ask for Clint. Chances are good he can help.

iluvscag
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
look up Commercial Lawn Equipment in Lakeland. They are a major Exmark and Hustler dealer. Ask for Clint. Chances are good he can help.

We need more people like you on LS, guys like you that know your ****. :waving:

Precision
09-27-2005, 09:40 PM
the guy at rockledge mower does a lot of exmark business. I personally don't shop there but a friend does and loves the service there.

But if it is out of warranty can't you take it anywhere. My shop Bucks in Titusville always treats me right. 321 267 4170 If you call them, ask for Jeff and tell him John from Precision Lawncare sent you.

Keith
09-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Commercial in Kissimmee worked on it before. There was a guy there named Danny, I need to call and see if he is still there and remembers the mower and the problem. He got it fixed the second go around. Just with the cost of fuel and having to drive round trip 100 miles, and since the fix will be coming out of my pocket this time, I need to know it's fixed. I don't think Exmark ever gave me the whole story about what was found. I know they replaced and oil temp sensor, but there was also a chafed wire or something somewhere in the harness.

Cobra Jock
09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Who is the EFI guru within 75 miles of Orlando? I went through a living hell with this Exmark two years ago. Some of you may remember that. Anyway nearly the same problem is back. It started stumbling a few weeks ago. I blamed it on the o2 Sensor that had a minor cut in it's lead. Finally a week ago it was dead. I took the o2 out and it looked like it had felt growing on it. Same with the spark plugs. I got a new o2 sensor and plugs and it ran pretty good for 20 minutes of so. Now it is back to the intermittent stumbling and loading up. It goes for about 30 seconds or so then loads up. Apparently the o2 sensor was not the problem, it was merely a result of whatever else is going on.

Lots of luck finding a EFI guru. Might be your ground, your injectors, your fuel pump, your computer, intermittent coil, bad camshaft, etc. I listed those things as an example of why it can be very frustrating :angry: to own an EFI. As much as I like the smooth, quiet running EFI engine, my next mower is definitely going to have a carb hanging on the side of it!

Greg

Keith
09-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Greg, I don't think I'll be doing an EFI again anytime soon :cry: The mower is still shy of 700 hours. I have paid nearly $7700 so far in payments. It left me stranded, kinda forcing me to buy another new ZTR when the Exmark was just 5 months old and basically I have never felt comfortable with it. Do the math, the 20-25% fuel savings vs. my carbed Super Z will never pay off. Anytime I hear anything strange out of it, or a hint of half-burnt fuel, I get the sinking feeling the EFI demons are about to show up again.

ProMo
09-28-2005, 07:51 AM
http://www.trailsaw.us/home.asp This is one of the largest dealers in the orlando area

Cobra Jock
09-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Greg, I don't think I'll be doing an EFI again anytime soon :cry: The mower is still shy of 700 hours. I have paid nearly $7700 so far in payments. It left me stranded, kinda forcing me to buy another new ZTR when the Exmark was just 5 months old and basically I have never felt comfortable with it. Do the math, the 20-25% fuel savings vs. my carbed Super Z will never pay off. Anytime I hear anything strange out of it, or a hint of half-burnt fuel, I get the sinking feeling the EFI demons are about to show up again.

That's exactly the same way I feel. I hear things and I think the EFI is about to act up again. They are a money sucking pos imo. The problem is that most dealers don't pay their mechanics anywhere near a living wage and there is no incentive for a young guy to become a mechanic on lawnmowers today.

Greg

South Florida Lawns
09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
My buddy at Royal Edger knows some sh*t about eXmarks, one of the biggest dealers in our area. They take care of Rinker commercial mowing which have close too 60 EFI Z's. They mow miles upon miles of medians around Pinellas county. If you need help with anything it might be worth the drive to Royal Edger. Good luck.

BTW email me if you need directions and an address.

Keith
09-28-2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.trailsaw.us/home.asp This is one of the largest dealers in the orlando area

They are on the short list of dealers to take it to. The only reason I did not buy the mower from them was because, well, they told me they did not recommend the EFI engine :o

Richard Martin
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Keith, you need to see if the wiring ground kit has been installed on your mower. Kohler # 24 755 134S The service manual for the Kohler EFI is downloadable from Kohler's website. It includes trouble-shooting guides.

Keith
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I actually have a printed copy of the manual and troubleshooting guide that Kohler sent me two years ago. I will try to figure out what is wrong with it in the next few days, but if I don't have it fixed by Monday, it's gotta go somewhere. I think between Exmark, Kohler and myself we figured it did have the ground kit. I am going to go back over some old emails, that luckily I saved way back then.

twindiddy
09-28-2005, 10:40 PM

trail saw is one of the nicer shops i've been in.

Keith
09-29-2005, 02:47 PM
I emailed one of the guys at Exmark that was involved in this whole mess the first time and asked if he could pull up the warranty info and tell me exactly what was replaced. Since the mower is acting pretty much the same, I figured it would be a good place to start. He said that there were no warranty claims on the mower, and if the dealer does not file it, there will be no knowledge of a repair ever being made.

I actually am shocked by this. Well, maybe I am not. Being it was at one dealer for over two weeks, then at another twice for several days, I would have thought someone would have gotten paid for this work. Then after talking with Exmark here when they had a forum, and on the phone several times. And them talking to the distributor about the best dealer to fix the problem, you would think there would have been some documentation of what was fixed. I even had another Exmark guy email me a month or so after this all happened and wanted to know the exact sequence of events so maybe they could figure out how this became so drawn out.

Restrorob
09-29-2005, 07:24 PM
The problem is that most dealers don't pay their mechanics anywhere near a living wage and there is no incentive for a young guy to become a mechanic on lawnmowers today.
Greg

Greg, You hit that nail square on the head, I took a beating when I left the automotive field some 14yrs. ago due to medical reasons. I'm still with the same company all this time and still not making what I did way back then working on cars. The only reason I've stuck to it this long is I enjoy spinning wrenches and it isn't really that hard. But the pay really does suk.

Cobra Jock
09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Greg, You hit that nail square on the head, I took a beating when I left the automotive field some 14yrs. ago due to medical reasons. I'm still with the same company all this time and still not making what I did way back then working on cars. The only reason I've stuck to it this long is I enjoy spinning wrenches and it isn't really that hard. But the pay really does suk.
We have a shop here in the local area that starts his mechanics at 7 dollars per hour for the first month! Can you believe it. 2005 and people still think that their employees can make it on 7 per hour. I know another guy that has been there for 6 years and gets 9.50 per hour. And to top it all off, the dealer doesn't even get his mechanics school trained so they know something about what they're doing! Unreal!

Greg

Restrorob
09-29-2005, 08:41 PM
We have a shop here in the local area that starts his mechanics at 7 dollars per hour for the first month! Can you believe it. 2005 and people still think that their employees can make it on 7 per hour. I know another guy that has been there for 6 years and gets 9.50 per hour. And to top it all off, the dealer doesn't even get his mechanics school trained so they know something about what they're doing! Unreal!

Greg

I checked at a couple other shops a few years back and even with my training and years experience wouldn't even match what I make, And just to give you a idea I have a lady friend that works as a cook at a mom & pop restaurant and makes more than me. It really is ridiculous :realmad:

Albemarle Lawn
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Plenty out there now that they go into Craftsman, Cub Cadet, etc.

I bought a Kohler 27 to repower a Kohler 25 in my Gravely 260Z. The 27 came out of a Craftsman that was damaged freight. That was 1100 hours ago, it has been flawless. I had to cut 1" off the crank since the Crapsman had a longer crank.

Keep your 28 EFI as a potential shortblock.