PDA

View Full Version : What to Charge?

Fubba
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
I have a great customer that I've been doing business with for a little while now. Well, he had a dead pine tree fall in his yard and has hired me to cut it up for him. I haven't really done chainsaw work for a customer before and was wondering what you guys usually charge. Do any of you do this kind of stuff too?

olderthandirt
09-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Charge by the hr. at the same rate as mowing and have a min. of x amount of $$$$ for tree work. What size tree, hauling away, stacking wood, what length does it need to be cut ??
BTW-- does your INS. cover tree work?

Fubba
09-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Tree's not that big. I would guess about 30 or 40 ft. total. Maybe 15" around at the stump. I'm cutting them into about 2 ft. pieces and stacking it about 3 feet away from where it fell. The limbs are being piled about 20 feet away to be burned when I'm done.

olderthandirt
09-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Tree's not that big. I would guess about 30 or 40 ft. total. Maybe 15" around at the stump. I'm cutting them into about 2 ft. pieces and stacking it about 3 feet away from where it fell. The limbs are being piled about 20 feet away to be burned when I'm done.

My region I can get $150 - $200 depending on how many branches there are to be piled. I'm figuring 1 hr or less for the whole job

Fubba
09-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm figuring about that same amount of time as well. I worked for about 10 minutes on it today until my chain got a little loose and I didn't have the right size socket with me. I got about half the tree cut up and got a few of the limbs up that were in my way.

LwnmwrMan22
09-28-2005, 12:15 AM
If it's less than 20 minutes, and they're a decent paying customer over the years, and it's a good account, I'll just do it.

Really, what do I care. I know that my competition is going to be cheaper than me when it comes to a mowing bid, but my customers know that they've got a working relationship with me that they'll scratch my back, I'll scratch theirs type deal.