PDA

View Full Version : Exmark...now a Scag!

HighGrass
09-28-2005, 01:11 AM
I had a 2002 Exmark LazerHP with a 23HP Kawasaki. I liked it but service and parts support where I am have been a problem. Since I work solo, I decided to make a switch to a Scag based on several factors the main being support.

Having said that, here are some observations that I've made and some comparisons. Understand that the Exmark is a 2002, and the Scag 52" Wildcat is brand new.

Deck-
I really like the access to the deck on the Scag. Wings nuts allow for quick access to pulley areas where the the Exmark needed a wrench.
Although both decks are pretty hefty, the Exmark does win the "Most reinforced deck" award with all of the extra beef-ups on the edges. I like that as it has saved my hide on a few rocks.
Blades are pretty easy to change on both machines although the Scag should be easier as the nuts are taken off from the top as opposed to the bolts from the bottom on the Exmark.
I was surprised to notice the deck "hang" chains are angled on the Scag and straight on the Exmark. I would think the side stress would be an issue but I have never heard of one of these failing.
deck adjustment for me was harder on the scag than the exmark. The height holes are so far apart, it takes a few tries to make good where as the Exmark seems easier. This could be just something to get used to.
One thing that did bother me was when you're mowing, if I wanted to step on the deck raise "pedal", I couldn't so it without banging my right knee into the front side of the right operator lever. The Exmark pedal seemed to require a tittle more effort to raise, but then there was plenty of leg room

Motor-
Scag Wildcat--25HP Kawi
Exmark Lazer--23 Hp Kawi

Both are great motors in their own right. I will thank Scag though for making oil changes a bit easier than th exmark by making access to the filter a bit easier.

The Cut-
Both machines did well. When either has sharp blades, they both cut super. Now that's true here where I am, your grass may be different.

Comfort-
The Exmark tends to have more leg room. As I mentioned before, when ever I tried to raise the deck with my right foot, I usually brushed the top of my knee against the front of the right turn lever. Undertand I am 6'2" but still, more than enough room on the exmark.
The control levers on the Scag are alot closer to you than on the Exmark. I'm not sure how this will be over the long haul but so far, it's just different.
The seat on the Wildcat...IS AWESOME! Lots of comfort and enough travel even for a big dude like me. The Exmark seat is...Ok.
The Scag seemed to ride better...or at least smoother than the Exmark. Could be because those huge front caster tires.

Workmanship--
The exmark is pretty well made. Heavy duty...solid. But the Scag goes one or two better. It's not only solid but when you start looking close, the finish work on the Scag is awesome. You really get the sense that who ever designed this mower....mowed for a living. Grease fittings (all over) switches, filters, wiring, adjustments, everything is easy to get to. Putting half inch ratchet slots on the pulleys for belt changes...thanks guys! How do you grease your exmark mower spindle....Ehhhhh. Sorry. Scag not only has grease fittings...but an over board grease vent is case you put too much grease in. These fittings are in the blind, but at least they are there.

Summary. Mowing with the two is where Scag really wins out. It's just easier to control and the hydros feel smoother than the Exmark ever did. For me, this was a smart choice. I'll be keeping my Exmark until spring (or whenever I sell it) but for me, the Scag, IMHO, is a step up.

JCee
09-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Dont know if you know, but I am looking at a 19hp Tiger Cub ztr. Is 19 enough hp for that machine? Any other comments? Thanks

mmacsek
09-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Dont know if you know, but I am looking at a 19hp Tiger Cub ztr. Is 19 enough hp for that machine? Any other comments? Thanks
Yes. I have a Scag Cub about 3 years old. When it used to rain and the grass was high in the springtime slow a little. Overall great machine. Matt