PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Bermuda

Something D
09-28-2005, 08:09 AM
I just bought a house that need some work done on the yard. There is a patch about 15'X10' of bermuda that would like to take over my new yard. I personally hate bermuda. In east Tn its more like a weed/pest. What would you all recommend in getting rid of this stuff. It has been my little experience with bermuda that it is hard to kill with weed killer. It always comes back. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I need to do to get rid of it.

ThreeWide
09-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Search the forums for Fusilade, Turflon, or Acclaim.

You should find all the info you need, as this has been discussed many times.

Something D
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I am not a licensed pesticide applicator and I am aware of the laws regarding the use of pesticides in the state of TN. With that being said I am sure I will not be able to purchase Fusilade II from a store without a pesticide license. Does anyone know what I can do to get this product or one similar for my own use on my own property. I will be working to get my license next year. but in the state of TN it takes and act of congress (sort of speak) to get this.

Any suggestions?

ThreeWide
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't think Fusilade is an RUP (restricted use pesticide)

If that is true, you can purchase it without an applicator license. Don't expect to find this at a retail store. Landscape suppliers will have it.

Az Gardener
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Its probably too late to kill it this year anyway It takes a few applications and it needs to be actively growing. Here in Phx. its our primary turf when people decide to switch to xeriscape the routine is fert and water and don't mow for a couple of weeks get it as tall and healthy as possible and then apply round up with a surfactant. The theory being the more leaf surface the more product will be taken in and the better the root kill will be. Even at that it takes at least 3 applications and the whole time you are watering it between applications trying to get it to exhaust its energy stores putting out new leaves for us to kill. Only after 6 weeks of every other week applications in the growing season do you stand a chance of really killing it. with all that said in your climate it may just be an annual weed and you may not need to go to those extremes.

Something D
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
In East TN, I think it is the only thing growing right now. We have had very little rain in the month of Sept. All that is growing is Johnson Grass, Weeds, and Bermuda.

Thanks for the information you all.