PDA

View Full Version : How late is too late?

nate1422
09-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering how late is too late for aeration? I am not overseeding, just have a few people that I plan to aerate and fertilize the lawns. We have been so dry but are starting to see rain in my area. I plan to do some aerating in 2 weeks but if we wouldn't see much rain, I want to wait until the soil is moist enough to penetrate. Is late Oct/Nov too late?

Also, some neighbors of mine are looking for a lawn service. I am just starting out doing this on the side and I am doing the aeration for them. What is everyones experience, is it usually a good or bad thing when it goes from a mowing or small job here and there to something bigger?

sheshovel
09-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I would say Nov is a little late,and it's usually a good thing when you learn new things and expand your business.

turfcobob
09-29-2005, 03:59 PM
There was a study done by Michigan State I believe that states you can aerate unitl the ground freezes. When you are doing a late season or fall aeration all you want to do is get as many holes in the ground as possible. If you do not get snow cover and get freezing winds you may (I say may) get some plant damage but you will get that freeze burn without the aeration.
Aerate till the snow flies if you like just explain to the customer why and that they will not see the benefit till spring.