PDA

View Full Version : aerator attachment for walkbehind mower?

Appalachian landscape
09-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Is there an areator i can mount to my walk behind mower? I know there are plenty that can be mounted to the front of a Z, but I 've never seen one for a walkbehind.

GreenUtah
09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I actually have seen one that you stand on top of, trying to remember if it was called the hooker or something along those lines, pulled behind the machine like a velke or similar objects. Had short tine hubs with a curved tine...anyone else seen this? lol

turfcobob
09-29-2005, 03:36 PM
To my knowlege one that will do a decent job has yet to be developed yet. Most walk behinds do not have the drive train or power to pull an aerator. It takes a tractor of 12 hp or more just to pull one and that does not include mowing.
Turfcobob

GreenUtah
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
actually, most hydros would easily pull something along these lines and anyone who has pulled out one of their stuck riders with a wb recognizes this. The drum styles rarely have bigger than a 6 hp motor after all w/ many being 4.5's, so it's not really hp that's the issue, it's weight. With a deep, straight tine, overcoming that leverage with a light(what's a hydro run, 450 lbs or so?) machine that may lift the back (drive)tires from the the ground becomes the issue. Thi sis why I think they were making the claw shaped, hooked tine and I cannot remember for the life of me exactly what it's called, esp. after reading the comments on the hooker front spikers elsewhere in this section.

turfcobob
09-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Yer right HP is not the issue...it is what is between the hp and the ground that is the problem...smaller engine smaller drive line...usually belts..We are not talking a self propelled aerator here. He is asking about towing one with a walk behind mower..

weedwoop
10-01-2005, 04:22 PM
JRCO makes the hooker aerator, I think. One of several attachments that attach to their tool carrier. I have their tine rake and it works very well. I haven't tried the aerator, but after running around behind a Bluebird yesterday, I might look into one.

JohnnyRocker
08-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Bump for this question.

lawndesigns
10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Not an attachment but a solution for those on a budget

http://www.eckman.co.uk/p735~3-in-1-Hand-Push-Lawn-Mower-Scarifier-AND-Aerator.html#prettyPhoto