PDA

View Full Version : Another Fatal Accident

mowtech
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Take a look at this . . .

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050928/NEWS/209280348/1001/news01

Cigarcop
09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Very sad to hear about these accidents, I feel bad for his family.

AtlYardWorks
09-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Very sad indeed, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Jerry and Sons
09-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes it is very sad that this incident happened but, the fella was only working for a few months useing this machine. Was he properly trained? were all of the mowers safety features working AND in use? This should be a learning experience for all.

Mr. Magpie
09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Guys, this is a reminder to those mowing similar terrain: No job is worth risking your life or limb. Work with a clear head and a careful mindset. Pass the word on to all fellow workers.

dcondon
09-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear the news, my prayers and thoughts go out to the family. Try and be safe Guys and Girls. :angel:

TClawn
09-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I wonder what osha will say about no rops... or at least it sounds like he wasn't using rops.

PMLAWN
09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Very very sad. Everybody, PLEASE use the ROP.

Envy Lawn Service
09-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Sad story indeed.

However, I have very heavy doubts that the accident actually happened as they "theorized" it did.

In fact, I imagine it happened the way I am terrified a ZTR might one day end up on top of me.... ZTR breaks traction... becomes a runaway down a short steep hill that ends at a very abrupt transition.... \__ .

You know... the abrupt transitions we encounter on a lesser scale all the time that our castor tires wedge against and do not cross easily. I imagine that has already killed a few good men... and so has the mow up forward and back down method. Let it slip traction, speed up, then grab.... it's on top of you before you can blink....

Be careful out there guys.
These ZTR's are particularly dangerous mowers.
Nuff said...

BladeRunner1967
09-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Had a kid get mangled here last year at an Alcoa plant. Osha found out the LCO was subbed through another LCO and was not trained to be on site. It was the kid's last week working for the LCO. I don't see that LCO's truck on the road anymore. Please be careful guys.

brucec32
09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
I canned my last couple of steeply sloped lawns this summer. Just not worth the risk of injury. Plenty of relatively flat lawns to mow. My own front slope at my new house is steep. I mowed it this summer up/down very carefully, using a trimmer on the worst spots. But it will be converted to mulched areas in a few weeks and no more steep slope to mow there either.

mowtech
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Sad story indeed.

However, I have very heavy doubts that the accident actually happened as they "theorized" it did.

In fact, I imagine it happened the way I am terrified a ZTR might one day end up on top of me.... ZTR breaks traction... becomes a runaway down a short steep hill that ends at a very abrupt transition.... \__ .

You know... the abrupt transitions we encounter on a lesser scale all the time that our castor tires wedge against and do not cross easily. I imagine that has already killed a few good men... and so has the mow up forward and back down method. Let it slip traction, speed up, then grab.... it's on top of you before you can blink....

Be careful out there guys.
These ZTR's are particularly dangerous mowers.
Nuff said...

Envy, I would predict that you are exactly right as loss of traction and control is the cause of a vast majority of these accidents. Sometimes the slopes involved are not that steep too.

Guys, please heed Envy's warning--be careful on any slope, but especially those near water or drop offs!