PDA

View Full Version : Guys, are we going to put away enough $$ for the off season.

TMlawncare
09-28-2005, 07:24 PM
This season has been both good and bad. Up until five weeks ago the weather had been kind to us. Now going into our sixth week with only about 1/100th of an inch of rain thing are really going to cr_p. I usually use the months of Sept, Oct, and Nov to help get us over the off season. But just by looking out my window in looks like we are going to be down several thousand dollars compared to years past. I know leaf season (and snow removal) is coming up in a month but it won't be enough to compensate. Anyone else worried about the off-season.

Sir mowsalot
09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Looks like im going to just make it by the skin of my teeth.

Green-Pro
09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
two words...well fare

jk lol we will be good this winter in fact on these last two jobs a two week fishing trip to the keys in Jan. may be in order payup

ed2hess
09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Don't you have any commericial properties that require year round service up north? We start planting rye grass the next couple weeks and then we get to mow that straight through to the spring. We probably run around 45 cuts a year.

Green-Pro
09-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Don't you have any commericial properties that require year round service up north? We start planting rye grass the next couple weeks and then we get to mow that straight through to the spring. We probably run around 45 cuts a year.

Pretty much only if your blading snow and snow don't grow it falls and only when it wants to :) My gameplan has been al along work like the devil until the ground freezes then go someplace warm for a few weks of R&R

:cool2:

Jpocket
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
You guys outta start saving for winter at the start of the spring. I figure what my expenses will be over the winter and try to have that number saved by August 1 No matter what that way any money after theat is a plus. You shouldn't have to worry about how you're gonna make it this late in the season.

topsites
09-28-2005, 09:05 PM
You guys outta start saving for winter at the start of the spring. I figure what my expenses will be over the winter and try to have that number saved by August 1 No matter what that way any money after theat is a plus. You shouldn't have to worry about how you're gonna make it this late in the season.

You're a smart person, I learned this lesson after my first year, it not only helps to save the money when the getting is good (spring) but it also helps during slow times - ALWAYS save money, always (more is better)... I had mine saved around august 20th (whew) and it really WOULD be nice to have the money saved by end of June (which is when the first real SLOW DOWN hits), but optimal is one thing and reality is another.
If you have NOT saved your money, then you're going to clean up a LOT of leaves and that is actually the number ONE reason why I like to have my money saved asap so come leaf season, I could care less. ONE bad year is all it took to convince me, thou I did take a refresher course last year... Don't feel bad, I've been through it twice myself.

Another way to say it is, remember back when we went to school how if you didn't do so good throughout the year, you had to go to summer school? Well, in Lawncare if you don't do so good throughout the year, you have to do leaves ;)

TMlawncare
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
This year one of our main focus areas was to attack our debt. Well we stuck to our goal and really went after it. Did the company a lot of good. Going into Sept. everything looked like it was going to go as planned. I think were going to get through without a huge loan but things will have to be very conservative. Were going to have to live like we are on the verge of bankruptcy.

lasher66
09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
In the beginning of the season, estimate way less than you think your going to make (in case of drought , etc) in a year on your net income. Divide by 12, and pay yourself that amount every month. If you happen to have a good season, you will have money left at end of year to reinvest in your business or give yourself a nice bonus. Thats what I do and works out pretty good. To many people spend it as they get it and they are the first to go out of business on a bad season.

Lasher

mrusk
09-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I have had my winter money saved since mid july. Ofcourse i plan to get a job this winter, and if all goes well i won't even half to touch the money i have saved. Thats the game plan.

Matt

sanfordandsonfan
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
I am a bit nervous. This year was a huge step for my family. My wife stopped working to go back to school. Tuition is costing me through the nose but at least we do not have any student loans. We had to raise the deductible on our health insurance and wouldnt you know it, I have to have a surgery in december. Mr. Hernia paid me a visit, and I need to get it taken care of. The weather in St. Louis was dry, but we still made some money. I just hate to use my savings to pay bills, but this may be the first in five years that I will be dipping in. Good luck to everyone else.

Runner
09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
As long as they keep sending my check on the 3rd, and keep giving me more foodstamps, I'll be alright. The bottle business is slowing down a bit, though. The ditches have just been empty, lately. As long as they keep sending my check on the 3rd, and keep giving me more foodstamps, I'll be alright. I DID find a couple nice pieces of cardboard, though. I'll probably have a pretty nice Christmas with my "Will work for food" signs!

promower
09-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Tough winter is ahead for me. With all the dry weather I lost just over 30% of the season in mowing income. Bought a house this year, and paid for a wedding. Needless to say, hoping for a great fall for cleanups, and aerating, and a decent winter for snow removal.

PMLAWN
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
As long as they keep sending my check on the 3rd, and keep giving me more foodstamps, I'll be alright. The bottle business is slowing down a bit, though. The ditches have just been empty, lately. As long as they keep sending my check on the 3rd, and keep giving me more foodstamps, I'll be alright. I DID find a couple nice pieces of cardboard, though. I'll probably have a pretty nice Christmas with my "Will work for food" signs!
ROTFLMAO!

Plan ahead, but if your failed to plan this year just pick up some winterwork
Most stores hire winter help (some even to work as a Santa)
Do handyman work
Buy a fixer up house and redo it over the winter. I keep guys full time because I do that.
Contact the camper or boat dealers and see if you can pull units to the winter show circuit or even work the shows as a salesman.
Hang Christmas lights
So many ways to make money out there. Just remember to spend some time PLANNING for next year.