PDA

View Full Version : Tarp size?

lawncuttinfoo
09-28-2005, 06:49 PM
If you use tarps for leaves what size do you use so that you can get enough on and stay on yet not be too heavy to strain your back pulling?

lawncuttinfoo
09-28-2005, 06:55 PM
how about style also, are the cheap blue or green tarps strong enough or do you go with the heavy duty type?

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
40' X 60' lol :)

gman44
09-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Before I haul leaves on a tarp I grind them up with a 21" mower . This reduces the overall size of the pile to a fraction of its original size. Easy to handle , easy to load to the curb or truck. Blue tarps have been fine, 20' x 20' seem to work for me. This method works if you dont have a clear shot to the curb with your blower .

BSDeality
09-28-2005, 08:47 PM
i use an 11x16 if i'm by myself, 15x20 if 2-man. any bigger is just too much tarp to trip over.

Jerry and Sons
09-28-2005, 08:48 PM
The blue tarp is fine just avoid going over the driveway and any other hard concrete or black top area. Play around with thei size but get ready leaves especially wet ones weigh a ton. It is all trial and error.

ealbertson
09-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I use something like a 20x30 but I don't drag them by hand. Fold it up like a taco, tie a rope around one end and drag it with a z or hydro walk behind. If you are dumping in the woods where the z won't go chain a block and tackle to a tree in the woods use a long rope and pull it in the rest of the way like that.

lawncuttinfoo
09-28-2005, 09:28 PM
how about those large green buckets lesco sells, or the large 200 gal soft lawn bags. Anyone have experience with both?

hole in one lco
09-28-2005, 09:32 PM
The bigger the better for me.
1 big yards 30-30 blow all beds out and a the patch ware the tarp gos. Lay tarp out pin the corners then start on the out side discharging towards the tarp.
My large tarp has a pipe in it that hooks to my mower
2 small yards i bungee a 55 gal bag to my cacher

3 medium yards 20-20 fill it and grab the tarp in both hand and rid it like a sulky

My mower dose all the work not me
I dont even carry a rack unless one of my guys pisses me off.

hole in one lco
09-28-2005, 09:38 PM
how about those large green buckets lesco sells, or the large 200 gal soft lawn bags. Anyone have experience with both?
the buckets are not big enough . The bags rip but are good if you leave them in the truck and dump in them it keeps the bed clean you can use dental floss to sow the bags or cloth catchers

dcondon
09-28-2005, 09:44 PM
i use an 11x16 if i'm by myself, 15x20 if 2-man. any bigger is just too much tarp to trip over.

Thats about the same size we use also. They get dumped from the mower onto a tarp if we have to. Most of the time they get sucked up into a dump trailer. :)

Runner
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
I think we're at 12 x 16, if I'm not mistaken. You start getting biggere than this, and there is just too much tarp to handle, fold over, and lift. Plus, if you shred the stuff up as much as we do, it is just too heavy, even for two. It helps with this size, so there is always a little extra room to play with. This way, you don't have material falling off the sides all over. I MADE the mistake of having a big tarp one year. We were CONSTANTLY overloading it.

Roger
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I work with my wife most of the time, and transport the tarps myself all the time. She is great help in getting the leaves loaded onto tarps, but I do all the heavy hauling. I use 8X10 because I can carry them over my shoulder. Any larger -- too big to get off the ground and carry. Sometimes, I'm able to dump on customer's property, but most of the time, I'm hauling away in a 5X10 trailer (36" sides). The 8X10 is small enough to roll over to dump in the trailer -- not efficient to drag in the rear of the trailer and try to dump.

If the leaves are wet, I cannot fill the 8X10 -- too heavy to swing over my shoulder. I'm small (5-9, 165), and 64 years old, so don't have the strength and capability of many of you stronger and younger guys. I have to deal with these matters as best I can.

If I can drag to a dump pile on the customer's property, and the distance is far (e.g. >100 ft), I use my w/b with BullRider. I put two corners on the standing platform, and have a hook holding together the other two corners. Usually, I can drag 2-8X10s this way. Again, the 8X10 are managable when I get to the pile, usually having to carry them the last few feet, and dump, to make a compact pile. I'm sure a larger tarp would work for this w/b dragging operation, but managing it at the dump end may be a problem.

proenterprises
09-29-2005, 10:07 AM
I can handle a 10x12 myself, and have a slightly larger one if I have a helper....works well.,

Cigarcop
09-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Roger,

I gotta hand it to you Roger, 64yrs and still swinging a 8x10 over the shoulder. I hope I'm able to do that when I hit that number!!!!

AL Inc
09-29-2005, 10:41 AM
One thing I started doing years ago is finding old pool covers that people are throwing away, sometimes in the spring ,or in fall when people are covering the pools for winter. They are big, so we will cut them into 4 pieces which are usually a good size. And the material is much more durable than the blue tarps from the hardware store. Not that tarps are a big expense, but hey, I try to save $ where I can. :)