PDA

View Full Version : 23 hp Kawasaki Oil Leak

denco5
09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a 23 HP Kawasaki with 500 hours on it. It appears to be leaking oil where the govenor shaft enters the lower portion (sump area) of the engine. Has anyone had this before. The mechanic stated that the entire sump casing would need to be replaced to correct the leak.

lawnmaniac883
09-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Post this in equipment servicing and repair, I recall someone saying there is a seal around there that goes bad, you dont have to replace the entire casing but a extensive tear down will be necessary.

TClawn
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
sump casing? you sure he didn't mean the oil pan gasket? that is what it sounds like to me.

FinalCut05
09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
the same thing happened with my 19HP Kaw. on my lesco WB. Its a gasket problem. The only thing that sucks though is they have to take the whole top of the engine off to get to it. Cost me maybe $80 or so.

TClawn
09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
is it under warranty? if it is not, you can change the gasket yourself. if it was anything like the kohler that I had the same thing happen on, you can be done in an hour and a half. all you have to do, is take off the engine, pull off the sump, replace the gasket, and you're golden. I am sure there is a kawasaki repair manual floating around on the internet.

edit:

before you take the sump off, check and make sure the bolt are properly torqued. the bolts on my kohler vibrated loose, causing a massive oil leak for the oil pan gasket. it is not very likely, but is possible, and will only take about 2 minutes to check.

Restrorob
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
I have a 23 HP Kawasaki with 500 hours on it. It appears to be leaking oil where the govenor shaft enters the lower portion (sump area) of the engine. Has anyone had this before. The mechanic stated that the entire sump casing would need to be replaced to correct the leak.

If you have the 23 hp FH680V engine there is a replaceable seal for the gov. shaft and can be replaced without removing the sump. The part # is 92049-7005 and the MSRP is a whopping 0.60 cents.
If this is not your engine number post it and I'll check it out.

DLCS
09-28-2005, 10:27 PM
If this is a horizontal engine you need to remove the sump cover to get to the seal. While you are at it replace the out put shaft seal too. If it is a horizontal should only take you a hour or so.

Restrorob
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
If this is a horizontal engine you need to remove the sump cover to get to the seal.

The horizontal engine has the same part # seal as the vertical and BOTH are easily accessable from the outside by removing the governor arm from the shaft. The Service Manual states; It is not necessary to remove the governor shaft unless it is being replaced, So no need to remove the sump or crankcase cover.
Done Many.

lawnchopper
10-01-2005, 09:53 AM
we had the same problem on our 23 kaw however it was the head gaskets that were leaking