PDA

View Full Version : shelf life for 2 stroke oil?

AtlYardWorks
09-28-2005, 09:39 PM
I had a customer give me an unopened gallon of 2 stroke oil today because he was cleaning his basement out getting ready to move. I asked how old it was and he said a couple of years old, so I took it to be polite, but I don't think I'm gonna take a chance on using this oil. This stuff doesn't last forever, right?

lawnmaniac883
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Not completely sure about this one...what brand of oil is it? I wouldnt run it myself even if it were a decent brand due to the fact that I wont risk ruining 1000's of dollars in equipment by saving pennies on oils.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Maybe 15 years ago Pennzoil 2 cycle was bad about getting lumpy and seperating out. That was the old TCWII oil. I saw a few boat engines bite the dust because of that. If you have a clean and empty gallon jug, transfer it to the clean jug and watch as you pour it, if it isnt lumpy I think it would be ok. What brand is it by the way? It may be a water cooled 2 cycle oil for a boat

AtlYardWorks
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
the brand is tech 2000 oil, which I've never heard of it before. Would water cooled vs. air cooled engines make a difference? My friends and I used to share 2 stroke gas for our dirt bikes and one guy had an older bike that was air cooled and he used our gas and never had a problem that I knew of. Didn't even think about that.

mkwl
09-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't risk it! Being polite is one thing...putting your business on the line is another.

AtlYardWorks
09-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I was weary about it from the start, but figured I'd ask. I'll just drop it off at a garage to let them to dispose of it.

lawnboy dan
10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
tech 2000 is from wal-mart -its low quality oil -fouls plugs etc . i wouldnt use it either. i tried some once-it sucked

topsites
10-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't risk it! Being polite is one thing...putting your business on the line is another.

First off, I agree with you as far as running some 'other' oil, if you're not sure and you have to ask, then don't use it.

Secondly, I really kinda dread it the moment a customer thinks they have something great to give me, LOL, thou I must admit I did get a cool Honda riding lawn-mower once which I fixed back up and sold for 300 dollars :) Most the time, thou, it makes me feel like Sanford & Son, heh.

Now for shelf life, I use Stihl 2-cycle mix for ALL my 2-cyclers and I buy it by the flat, which is 48 bottles at a time, makes 120 gallons. As things stand, a flat of 48 bottles lasts me close to 3 years and the last bottle is as good as the first. Same with motor oil, I have close to 100 quarts stored because I buy my oil in quantity... It's all various grades and again I have 2-3 years worth, maybe more - The trick is to keep proper rotation (oldest gets used first) AND to make sure the oil bottles stay sealed, in a cool environment and out of direct sunlight IF the bottle has transparency to it.
Other than that, shelf-life wise...I don't see 5 years storage hurting a thing but again, if in doubt as to the quality, don't use it. Too bad it's 2-cycle mix, sometimes with standard motor oil when I'm not sure about the quality, all straight 30-weight AND 20w-50 oils make an excellent chainsaw lubricant :)
Also I've had my hand on some 'other' 2-cycle oil myself and I wasn't sure so what I did is I mixed it 10% other to 90% Stihl oil but then I only had a quart of it to dilute and still it took me the better part of 30 minutes to spread it all out and find the empty bottles, etc, etc...

Gizmo_019
10-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Dump it on your trailer floor and mop it in. That's what I do with used oil that I get when I change oil in something. Cheap sealer. :p

jgc8fan
10-16-2005, 11:41 PM
tech 2000 is from wal-mart -its low quality oil -fouls plugs etc . i wouldnt use it either. i tried some once-it sucked

Agree... Tech 2000 will ruin your equipment when it's new let alone after sitting in a basement for who knows how long.

My brother had to have the fuel system and carb on his boat motor replaced after using that junk.

Runner
10-16-2005, 11:49 PM
I've got a gallon of Pennzoil 2 stroke oil that I bought early this year and haven't used it. It will go in the basement this winter and you can bet it will be used next season. I've used left over oils from the seasons before, and I'm confident this will be alright.

lawnwizards
10-17-2005, 11:31 PM
tech 2000 is from wal-mart -its low quality oil -fouls plugs etc . i wouldnt use it either. i tried some once-it suckedif you used it only once how do you know its low quality and fouls plugs? you state that it sucks, please elaborate as to why it sucks. got any "real life" examples?

grass_cuttin_fool
10-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Im thinking the Wally world (tech 2000) oil is penzoil or either Qauker State oil. Dont qoute me but I think I saw in another post, not sure if it was here or another forum, that there are only 3 manufactures of 2 cycle oil and then additives are added to it to conform to the manufacturer'e specs

wriken
10-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Im thinking the Wally world (tech 2000) oil is penzoil or either Qauker State oil. Dont qoute me but I think I saw in another post, not sure if it was here or another forum, that there are only 3 manufactures of 2 cycle oil and then additives are added to it to conform to the manufacturer'e specs

Made from Mobile, this year.
I use super tech 2-stroke and 10-30 supertech syn in the Mowers.:)

lawnboy dan
10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
ok i will further eloborate for the mentaly challenged. i bought a quart of it and mixed up a batch (at 40/1) every machine smoked and several fouled plugs. if you want to use cheap low quality oil in your expencive machines -thats up to you. if you are looking for low cost but high quality oil buy mercury quicksilver. 11.50 per gallon at sams club

grass_cuttin_fool
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
ok i will further eloborate for the mentaly challenged. i bought a quart of it and mixed up a batch (at 40/1) every machine smoked and several fouled plugs. if you want to use cheap low quality oil in your expencive machines -thats up to you. if you are looking for low cost but high quality oil buy mercury quicksilver. 11.50 per gallon at sams club

NOt to start a fight Dan, but did your equipment call for 40:1? All of mine call for 50:1 except the lawnboy and its 32:1. If the equipment was meant to be run on 50:1 then 40:1 would make it smoke more and foul plugs quicker because it is more oil than specified.

Yamahauler
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Its junk throw it out.
I use Maxima racing 2T or Motut 800 or any quality racing oil. A ratio rite mixing tool is very handy.

Jason Rose
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Oil a few years old????? I'm gonna bet it's a little older than that... A few MILLION maybe! lol! Let's ask that dinosaur whos decomposing down there making all this oil how old he is...

As for the question... I wouldn't let anything "tech 2000" go into anythig I valued. Now if you know anyone with old stuff that dosn't care throw it their way.

lawnboy dan
10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
no problem grass cuttin fool- i should have explained further in my eailer post. i have lots of older equiptment that calls for 32/1 and even 1 that wants 25/1 in addition to the newer stuff that calls for 50/1 . rather than have several cans of different mix to carry i mix at a democratic mix of 40/1 to cover all my bases. with good quality oil (like quicksilver) going up or down on the mixing scale just one mixture makes little difference. none of my equiptment liked the tech 2000 oil . it was the 32/1 robin engines that experienced the most problems on it -heavy smoke and fouled plugs .(these engines are very fussy about oil quality and i use these engines as a benchmark of oil quality) . i use about 5 gallons of mix a week so i would much rather mix one big batch at a time. i do have a seperate mix of lawnboy oil at 32/1 for my fleet of lawnboys.