PDA

View Full Version : ? what to charge on this?

Brianslawn
09-29-2005, 12:00 AM
how much would you charge for a square mile of open finish mowing with no trimming or blowing? weekly price? :help:

Metro Lawn
09-29-2005, 12:13 AM
$19,200 (or $30 an acre) Around here there are companies that only do this type of work and I have seen the price as low as $8 an acre. You would need some serious mowers for that job. It would take 2 60" Zs working 10 hours a day, 7 days to cut this. give or take (640 acres)

Killswitch
09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
25000 a week.

Keith
09-29-2005, 12:17 AM
How many employees are you going to be able to put on this one job? I guess you could assume one man and machine could do 3 arcres an hour? That may be conservative, it may be too high, I don't really know what you would be cutting.

mcwlandscaping
09-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I dunno about a price but a job like that IMO opinion would be really cool! You just need a big ass mower if you are a small company and thats what i like, to stay a small company but big enough that this is my full time job. And an account like that would really keep me in business if i had the big mower to do it! Srry about this out of place post but, THATS HUGE and i think its awsome!!!

Keith
09-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Obviously you would handle this one of two ways. You would have large tractors with finish mowers and put a couple guys on them and send them out for the week. How many acres can you cut with a large tractor and big finish mower a day? I have no clue myself. But I am guessing two large pieces of equipment could get it done in a week. But then you have the problem of having them there all the time. They are right back mowing the next Monday, so this is permanent duty for them. Of course, you could throw another couple large tractors and finish mowers at it and probably finish it in two days or so. Again, I am just guessing at what the actual production with a 10' finish mower might be. Any way you look at this, you are going to have a rather large investment in equipment for one job.

The other route, which I can't see anyone taking, would be to throw 5 or 6 72" ZTR's at it. Again, they would probably be on site 5 days a week, every week mowing the same 640 acres. This would be pretty rough on employees in a number of ways. Obviously the tractor thing would be the logical choice.

Anyway I look at it, I would have already had to have stepped into this kind of market before to ever consider it. I would not go out and get the amount of equipment required to do it for this one job. In other words, if I had something like this, I likely would have had 5 or 6 this same size already or small ones at least equaling 5 times this one. I would hate to be making a large portion of my income on one job. Same goes for the equipment. You don't want that stuff sitting around unused. Then their is the employee issue. I think I would be hard pressed to let one job be responsible for that much of my total gross income. I think if it were any more that 20% of my total work load, it isn't the job for me.

Brianslawn
09-29-2005, 02:32 AM
2 things.

first of all, ive heard about guys that do stuff like this and was curious if anyone else on here did similiar and what they charge.

second, i got ask to give a bid on the largest biz proberty in town. waiting on papers to be faxed and will have to ask how many acres exactly. lots of open mowing, there is lots of edging if they want it current guy not doing much though, mile of chain link fence they been spraying with round up. about the only trimming is around building which me may be able to spray, few bushes to trim if they specify. to drive around the block its on is about a mile and a half total, but actual grass is probably only 100-150 acres (rough guess). current guys got tractor with big finish deck for open field areas and big Z for smaller areas.

i'll let you know actual size and what i bid.

Tonyr
09-29-2005, 02:38 AM
lease 2 or 3 tractors with linkage mowers, have them full time cutting that one job, don't buy the gear, and don't have the machines idle, least amount of machines, max amount of hours. imo.

wish I could land that type of work here, beats racing around lots of individual jobs pullin' trailers around and hoping you get paid promptly and dealing with a lot of smaller accounts, less very big ones interest me the most. hurts more when you lose a biggie, but.....

budracin
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
$45.000 a year. there is enough there to make it a full time job

Tonyr
09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
I dunno about that method of thinking.....it is people who go cutting grass to supplement or replace a wage that lower what the industry average is trying to sustain from people who do this as a business, not to just replace a job.

I don't agree with how you see this job, I will admit I haven't done the math to see if you are going to be earning the same as a business price, or whether your price is what is average for a wage in your country.

don't forget machinery costs etc.....

I just can't see how you can really benefit being so cheap after expenses.

And why?

we are here doing this to make real money....not work for wages, imo.

MOW ED
09-29-2005, 09:28 AM
That could be a good job with a long term contract. 5 years with increases every year and hope they like you at the end of the contract.

But landing the job can also be a bad thing. These people are obviously looking for someone new, that means someone that has all the eggs in this basket is gonna be without work. The only thing he is gonna have is machinery and a lot of time on his hands. Tough call for a smaller operator. I can see a big company taking it on because they can more easily handle the job and take the hit if they get canned. I personally could not take on that type of job unless they guaranteed me 10 years of work at my price of course.

Runner
09-29-2005, 01:21 PM
$45.000 a year. there is enough there to make it a full time job

Yeah, now THERE'S a good idea! :rolleyes: Let's see....640 acres, x 30 cuts a season....that brings us to $2.34 per acre. What does YOUR machinery run on? Because obviously, I'M using the wrong stuff!

Let's add in insurance, taxes, maintenance, depreciation on some rather LARGE equipment, and let's see.... Heyy guys, let's figure out how much it would COST us to do this like this! LOL

olderthandirt
09-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Right tractors and mower you can mow over 100 acres and up in 8 hr day, so it depends on what equipment you want to use on it. 1- 80 HP tractor pulling a 21 foot gang at a 10mph average can cover some ground. 1-200 Hp tractor pulling a 30 ft. gang at 12 MPH , well you see where I'm going. It all depends on the equipment and the terrain. But mowing 1 sq. mile is a full time dedicated job.

olderthandirt
09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, now THERE'S a good idea! :rolleyes: Let's see....640 acres, x 30 cuts a season....that brings us to $2.34 per acre. What does YOUR machinery run on? Because obviously, I'M using the wrong stuff!

Let's add in insurance, taxes, maintenance, depreciation on some rather LARGE equipment, and let's see.... Heyy guys, let's figure out how much it would COST us to do this like this! LOL

Listen to the man Joe he's been in "business" 12 yrs :D

I think budracin just got caught :D

Remsen1
09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't bid on this unless I could either get a 5 year contract and/or had a large enough operations that I wouldn't depend on this account to be in business.

The second issue I have is, this customer would be better off hiring two full time employees and buying the equipment, than hire me for $20,000 per mow.

Another option I would try for is $10,000 per mow, mow half of the property one week and the other half the next week, kind of a rolling bi-weekly schedule.

I wouldn't expect me or an employee to work 10 hours per day 7 days per week and do this all using one resource, so I would probably need to do a portion of the mowing myself or hire a second employee. I would put them on the biggest commercial mower available and I would also consider auxillary pull behind mowers to increase the width of the cut so the work could all be done within the time allowed.

I think the price considers this but at 70 hours per week and 25 week season is 1750 hours on the mower. The mower will be pretty much "used up" by the end of the season. Also would have to plan down time for daily blade sharpening, greasing, belt inspection, weekly oil changes etc. Best bet would be to have one extra mower to rotate in.

It's cool to think about a job of this scale. Thanks for the fun on a rainy day.

CutNLawns
09-29-2005, 04:17 PM

I was thinking he had to have left a "0" off...but still low IMO!

JMB
09-29-2005, 07:18 PM
I used to do this type of work when I lived in Colorado. I also did final grades around new construction.
For mowing acreage, I got $50.00 an hour. I had a 6420 JD with cab and front wheel drive, and two decks, a 10 foot and a 21 foot. The 6420 JD cost in the neighborhood of $70,000.00. A good deck will cost you at least $15,000. Trailer for the machine, another $15,000.00. Unless you want to burn the brakes out of your 1 ton pickup, you have to have a truck to pull all that with and that will mean a CDL (commercial driver license). Unless you have experience driving a truck, a CDL is very difficult to get.

I don't know the particulars about the job that you are talking about, but most people with that kind of acreage only want (or can afford) it mowed once or twice a year; usually in early summer and then again in late fall. The largest one that I mowed was 125 acres and I could cut it in two or three days. I used the 21' deck for the open areas and the 10' around trees and other obstacles. A 72" ZTR would have been better than the 10 footer for mowing around the obstacles, but I didn't have one then.

mcwlandscaping
10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Just a quick question then, is this a real client opportunity or just another "what would you do in this situation?" posts. Not trying to sound critical, but one square mile is HUGE!! Would be cool though!

MOturkey
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Our son is over the grounds maintenance at a Federal prison. Total area is 1,100 acres, basically flat, and it is all mowed except for the buildings, pond, and other facilities, so I'm guessing actual mowing is in the neighborhood of 1,050 acres. It is supposed to be kept at a height of no more than 5 inches, I believe he said, and his crew of trustees has it done by Wednesday of each week, weather permitting. He has told me how many he has mowing, and using what equipment, but I forget now. I can ask him, though.

Brianslawn
10-01-2005, 11:02 PM
got the bid papers. all 12 of them. and a map. total property is 1/2 mile x 1/4 mile. bit smaller than what it looks driving by. 10 acres bagged weekly and another 60 open cut bi weekly. plus some trimming and edging, tree and shrub, fert, round-up, mulch, 25 hours of planting twice a year, snow (almost forgot what that is), and one or two other things. 32 weekly mows, 16 field mows. and a lot of payup payup payup payup payup payup !!!

Brianslawn
10-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Just a quick question then, is this a real client opportunity or just another "what would you do in this situation?" posts. Not trying to sound critical, but one square mile is HUGE!! Would be cool though!

wanna help? :help:

mcwlandscaping
10-01-2005, 11:09 PM
h*** ya, that would be awsome!!! Honestly, thats something i dream about! I assume you'll be paying roundtrip airfare every weekend and for hotel!!!!

Pecker
10-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Not being skeptical, but who or what company would have the need and be able afford to pay that much to keep acreage mowed? It must be a company that needs grass cut for a reason (like the prison example earlier - I can see where it would be necessary to keep a wide area in that case and the state can foot the bill).

To answer your question though, I have no idea what to charge but you might consider hiring an employee dedicated to this particular job and buy specific equipment for the job (i.e. good used WAM and ztr with dump-from-the-seat-bagger; not sure how you would dispose of 10 acres of waste though. Perhaps put a dump bed on your truck). Although it would be a major investment, this type job would be worth it if its the real deal. . .This would allow you to continue current operations. That way if it goes belly up, you could let the employee go (not to sound harsh) and liquidate the equipment and hopefully not loose the rest of your business.

The classic mistake in any business is to let all the small accounts go in favor of the big one; then the big one tanks and you have nothing to fall back on. Good luck!

Brianslawn
10-02-2005, 10:05 PM
its a belgium owned corp. i heard its real hard to get a jop there, and everyone wears white cotton gloves. they do metal work, not sure exactly what. lots of robots and inside i hear is spotless. property is right along the highly traveled I-540 coridor.

hey mike. hurry and graduate so you can just move hear and work full time! payup payup payup

Runner
10-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I worked for a Belgium owned company once. They made waffles for the Waffle House chains. :D

QualityLawnCare4u
10-03-2005, 02:18 AM
got the bid papers. all 12 of them. and a map. total property is 1/2 mile x 1/4 mile. bit smaller than what it looks driving by. 10 acres bagged weekly and another 60 open cut bi weekly. plus some trimming and edging, tree and shrub, fert, round-up, mulch, 25 hours of planting twice a year, snow (almost forgot what that is), and one or two other things. 32 weekly mows, 16 field mows. and a lot of payup payup payup payup payup payup !!!

Dang! I would hate to know I had to bag 10 acres!! I can not even come close to guessing an estimate for this job being there is no way a solo operator could do it. Good luck though, this would be just a little out of my league.