PDA

View Full Version : winch for trailer tailgate

aclassic
09-28-2005, 11:02 PM
has anyone tried to rig something up that raises their tailgate w/ some sort of electric winch. so instead of bending over and lifting the gate (even w/ gate assist) you could just stand on the side of the trailer and flip a switch, and up it goes.
if anyone has ever done this please let me know where you can get a really small winch (cheap also) i cant find much under $50 and they are all for boats, i'd like something smaller,
let me know,
thanks

ToroLandscaper
09-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing about a week ago

grass_cuttin_fool
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I have pondered the same idea, but it seems so slow. I have 2 garage springs and a handle about waist high on my gate, I grab the handle and walk forward and up comes the gate

cochino12
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I have 2 garage springs and a handle about waist high on my gate, I grab the handle and walk forward and up comes the gate

Can you post some pics of that?

grass_cuttin_fool
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I will try and take some tom and get my wife to post them here tom night

mcwlandscaping
09-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I agree, it would be too slow. And it would probably be faster and most likely cheaper than a winch too. Also, whats cheaper, replacing a winch part or entire unit or a garage spring if something breaks? Not only cheaper but easier to fix. Just my opinion but my vote would be for the springs!

kimberjim
11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Here's a pick of my 125hp Toyota Dyna.

I made up this folding gate a month or so ago and fitted a 5500lb winch to raise and lower it.The gate weighs about 250kg and is somewhat over engineered but will take a Bobcat and my frontmount mowers easily.

It takes about 2 minutes to plug in the remote,unclip the latches and to get it down...

Maybe it's abit slow for some operators but I usually only stop once or twice a day so it works well for me and the properties I maintain.

All I gotta do now is get some paint on it and letter the truck.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kj58/truck.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kj58/winch.jpg

jim