PDA

View Full Version : Exmark mower question

LwnmwrMan22
09-29-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm looking at a new XS, 31 hp / 60" Ultra.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone taken the anti-scalp wheels off the front of their deck, brace and all, and either welded or bolted a different brand mower's swivel casters?

This is close to the only thing that's keeping me from buying this mower.

Thanks.

tacoma200
09-29-2005, 04:06 AM
No but I have owned two of the 60" ultra cut decks and have had no problems. Not sure why you want swivel scalping wheels but I'm sure you have your reasons. Maybe you should elaberate futher about why you want them to swivel. If they are set to the correct height they don't tear up a lawn or anything. They can be replaced for about $5 a piece if needed. I did notice they are placed where they will not hang up as bad as the Grasshopper midmount I owned. The grasshopper's were so far on the outside of the deck they would constantly hang in chain link fences when trimming close. No such problem with the Exmark deck. Good luck

FLD
09-29-2005, 06:41 AM
We did that to our 72" DC, put Ferris anti-scalp wheels on it.

LwnmwrMan22
09-29-2005, 07:46 AM
The reason that I'd like to change over, is because if you're mowing at the bottom of a ditch, or on a hill, and when you turn into another either flat or uphill, that wheel will just catch and leave a divot.

The last 3 mowers that I've run, 2 Ferris and a Kubota, have had swivels on the front of the deck, so they just turn and run up the hill, usually. There are still times when I'll catch them just right and they'll still dig in a little, but not as much as the Toro used to do.

EXspyguy
09-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Wait and get the rollers off an "06" exmark. They are more coned shape, less chance of digging in. Check out my thread (w/pics) "06" exmarks

dvmcmrhp52
09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
So, anti scalp rollers are going to decide wether or not you buy a $10,000 mower?

Kelly's Landscaping
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Only time I ever had a problem with scalping with the anti scalp wheels was because the rear right side hanger bracket that holds the chain the deck is attached to was bent. It was rare defect Exmark had not even seen it before but when it came out my last dealer had not picked up on it and it was my second time complaining Exmark not only fixed it they covered it under warranty. If the deck is level the anti scalp wheels should not even be a concern I like the look of the new Ferris wheels but that is not going to sway me from my 4th lazer next spring.

LwnmwrMan22
09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
So, anti scalp rollers are going to decide wether or not you buy a $10,000 mower?

Well, honestly, no.

I've kind of decided to try one, but I'm at that point in my life where I'm tired of spending money too.

If people have read my previous posts, it's been said that I REALLY believe in tax breaks. :D

So, anyways, I would like to buy one, but it's one of the reasons that I quit running Toro mowers. Also, I know that Toro and Exmark are in bed with each other, so you don't really have to make that point.

My Kubota has swivel casters, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $1.5k to get the diesel engine again.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone's tried pulling Ferris' swivel casters like the previous poster said, maybe I'll have to look into that.

Tonyr
09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Ya know how with the bigger decks sometimes when you turn the deck bites in a bit, or a anti scalp wheel bites in....try at the end of each run when you're turning put ya foot on the deck lift pedal and just lift the deck slightly.

problem solved.

then at the end of the job do a lap or 2 around where you turned to mow the uncut areas.

this works....it becomes habit after awhile.

dvmcmrhp52
09-29-2005, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=LwnmwrMan22]Well, honestly, no.

I've kind of decided to try one, but I'm at that point in my life where I'm tired of spending money too.

If people have read my previous posts, it's been said that I REALLY believe in tax breaks. :D

QUOTE]

Tax breaks are always good.......... :waving:

The xs is a good machine, we've got a 60" and will probably go to a 72" next year. I don't believe it's too much of an issue on the 60" but I do understand what you're talking about. The 72" however, I'm sure it will be more of an issue.

TLS
10-01-2005, 01:59 PM
As Tonyr says, just a little pressure on the foot lift will correct this.

You have to finesse a mower to follow sharp contours. Likely, in the situation you mentioned (turning into a berm), a swivel caster will do the same damage.

You don't need to have them so low. Especially if your talking about a 60" deck.

Plus, eXmark has the BEST mount for their anti-scalp rollers. VERY beefy. Look at some other mowers with a couple thousand hours.....their roller brackets are bent and broken. Not on an eXmark.