PDA

View Full Version : Walker Model T or Exmark Navigator?

Sharp Services
09-29-2005, 05:38 AM
In my quest to get information on a new mower for next year I think I have come up with my two favorites so far. These will be used on small to medium residential yards that I always bag.

Mower #1:

Walker Model T
- 42" Deck
- Kohler OHV V-Twin 20 hp
- 9.5 Bushel grass catcher
- Dual tail wheels
- 5 gallon tank - reg.
- Splined PTO
- Low profile tires
- Curb weight - 910 lbs.
- $9515.00

Mower #2:

Exmark Navigator
- 42" Deck
- Kohler Command SP 20 hp
- 9.5 Bushel grass catcher
- Single tail wheel
- 7.5 gallon tank - reg.
- PTO information unknown
- Low profile tires
- Curb weight - 1140 lbs.
- $9525.00

I would like input on these to tractors. They cost about the same. The Walker has been out forever, but the Navigator has only been out a few months. Both mowers look similar.

Which is the better mower?

Mowingman
09-29-2005, 08:39 AM
That Walker machine is a really dependable workhorse. I had one like it for 6 years, and it never let me down. The Exmark is a new machine that is still unproven longterm. I don't believe those Exmark machines are selling very well. I would be surprised if they continue production very long unless something dramatic happens to their sales figures. I suggest you go with the Walker. Walker has a long track record of dependability, and also has many decks to choose from if you want to add attachments. The previous Exmark Navigator was not a success, and it is way too earily to tell if these Navigators will be any good.

Mr.Mow-It-All
09-29-2005, 08:44 AM
That Walker machine is a really dependable workhorse. I had one like it for 6 years, and it never let me down. The Exmark is a new machine that is still unproven longterm. I don't believe those Exmark machines are selling very well. I would be surprised if they continue production very long unless something dramatic happens to their sales figures. I suggest you go with the Walker. Walker has a long track record of dependability, and also has many decks to choose from if you want to add attachments. The previous Exmark Navigator was not a success, and it is way too earily to tell if these Navigators will be any good.

Ditto, and also the new feature that walker added with the dual tail wheels is much better. That has been my biggest gripe is the nasty middle stripe that it lays with the single wheel. I can get the dual wheel attachment for my 04 model but it's like 450 so I have been putting it off.

Definatley go with the proven track record, the walker will last a very long time.

MBDiagMan
09-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Adding to the thoughts about new design versus proven design, since Exmark has been purchased, their new designs have not proven dependable. If you were talking about a design that was researched and developed BEFORE the purchase it would be one thing, but Exmark has a bad track record with their designs since the merger. The new 21" is the most glaring example.

Good luck,
Doc

EXspyguy
09-29-2005, 01:08 PM
The walker is 5 mph and the exmark is 7.5 mph. I would suggest a good look at the exmark.

mole
09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
why would you want to go across a med. size lawn at 8mph anyway. speed is not the ans. quality is. I don't know wht everybody is so concernd about speed. I have a machine the lesco zII 48 inch it goes 12mph I don't think I Have ever had it past half way in over 4yrs with the machine. Im switching that machine for a walker next year.

dwc
09-29-2005, 11:13 PM
I put the speedup kit on my Model MT and it will go 6.5mph now. makes a huge difference on large open areas. Can't run it that fast on a lot of residentials of course.

Hank Reardon
09-29-2005, 11:48 PM
I am in the process of replacing a mower (7 yr old Walker MT 20hp/42GHS) for one property. It really comes down to your properties. This particular client has a cornucopia of conditions to take into account. It's a five-acre parcel, irrigated, and professionally treated with over two acres of turf. That said, I have an orchard with low hanging limbs, hilly tight areas with larger trees, and wide open sections that could easily use 8+mph. For us, the Walker just cannot handle the thick, lush, dew-laden grass without clogging the deck and/or chute. In addition, the single rear caster creates a challenge on hills and makes for an odd stripe. Oh, I could purchase a wheel lock and a speed up kit but I feel those should be included when I pay upward of $10k+.

I've demo'd the Tiger Cub, Super Mini Z, and the Exmark Lazer Z. Tomorrow, I try the JD 737 and next Tuesday the Navigator. From what I've read, the Navigator is basically a Walker with the problems addressed. Those being: deeper deck, higher volume blower, heavier hydro pumps. and a larger engine option (probably necessary with the added weight).

Trying to define your needs and match those while attempting to minimize a mowers shortcomings is crucial. My guess is it's probably rare a mower is perfect for every application; regardless of manufacturer.

Is it just me or does it really seem like fall this week... :pumpkin:

NNJLandman
09-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Walker hands down. I can say much about the navigator except thats its new and i havn't seen many around, the one guy I knew that had one, sold em and bought a walker. Thats all I can say about em, the walker was the one with the original design and has for many many years been providing quality equipment, its durable, provides a great quality cut, lays awesome stripes. Its a machine that will last you for a long time and as for the speed thing, I have heard of a speed up kit for the walker which can get it moving faster if thats a concern for you....so what would i buy: WALKER!! :)

Jeff

rob1325
09-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I would stay with what has been proven, Walker IMO. Also, dealer support!

ed2hess
09-30-2005, 10:38 PM
The Exmark is built like a tank...but I would stay with the proven Walker until they prove themself. I have a Scag Cougar that is heavy like the Exmark and that is why I like the lighter Walker.

MOW ED
10-01-2005, 08:56 AM
The Walker is my choice. Your set up above is very good, when I buy again it will be that setup but with a 26 EFI. That is what I currently have. I also have the 52SD deck that is invalueable.
Exmark is a great company and they make good stuff but in the specialty world I can't compare anything to a Walker.

Sharp Services
10-03-2005, 05:49 AM
On Saturday I received a nice big package from Walker ... with lots of great information, which included a DVD, Walker Talk, new brochers and more. I think this is the mower I will go with, once I get my present mower paid for. Don't want to put to much stress on the cash flow.

I also got to use an older Walker on Sunday and it did a great job.

John Gamba
10-03-2005, 05:59 AM
The walker is 5 mph and the exmark is 7.5 mph. I would suggest a good look at the exmark.

Never mind, Blade speed and a deeper deck :cool: