PDA

View Full Version : I need help deciding

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I am thinking of trading in my lazer z 60 in and downsizing to a hydro 52" tthp. Most of my properties are small residential and quite a few stay damp. I also use a 36" belt drive for my gate mower. I guess it's just hard for me to part with the rider, but right now it is all overkill, plus I need the excersise lol! I am also thinking I will get a better quality look and cut with a wb as it will be easier to lay nice stripe patterns with in smal areas.

PMLAWN
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
You will know best what will fit on your properties.
I am amazed by the fact that every body rushes out to buy the big Z and than wants to do small residential work. It is clearly a sign that most are in it for the cool factor rather than the quality of the finish product.
I think that the mid sized W/B is the most useful mower and on smaller lots will probably be faster.

South Florida Lawns
09-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Then just give the eXmark to me.

Metro Lawn
09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
We run a pair of 52" TT hydros on one of the residential routes. Great mowers with an awesome cut.

AboveTheCut
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
This year I bought a 52" Lazer Z. I love it. I have some large properties were it is needed and I have small to medium that I use it on. I use it wherever I can. I have a few hills that are "crazy" steep that I use a 36" wb belt drive on. I just recently purchased a gently used 52" TT HP to replace the old 36" wb. I have found that I can do a better job on the smaller yards with this new TTHP machine. The Turf Tracer can get closer to objects (less trimming) and does less damage (from the weight). It may not be as fast but overall it is more versitile in my opinion. If I would have bought the TTHP first, I probably would not have gotten the Lazer. However, now that I have both, plus a 36" wb for gates, its a perfect world. If I could only have one machine, based on the yards I have, I would pick the 52 TTHP. Good Luck.

Sir mowsalot
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Hovey,
I just downsized myself. I went from 60" dc to a 52" wildcat. I absolutly love it. It is small enough for the smaller residentials, and still can do the bigger properties. I have alot of small resi's too, but make sure that you are willing to do them everyday every week every year with a wb. I know with me, i get burned out too quick with a wb as my primary mower. I did it for awhile and by end of aug. i was burned out and just wanted the season over. At least demo a compact and see what you think.

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-29-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks for all the opinions. I didnt get my z to be cool. I had the properties at the time that required one. I now do not. I went today a dealer has a 48" scag tiger cub with 19 kaw and 80 hours. I think it needs some adjustments or the blades sharpened. Im not sure if I'll get it or not trying to make a informed decision. I notice it easier to move around in tighter spots but I have only used it on 2 properties. What do you guys think? I think I'd rather have a 52 lazer hp but they didnt have any.

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-29-2005, 09:06 PM
48" tiger cub vs 52" TTHP

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
I didn't care much for the Tiger Cub. I'd really like to get a 52" lazer hp if I get rid of my lazer.

Cutter LLC
09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
go demo a super mini z or just cut a couple of my yards for me lol

ed2hess
09-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I had a chance to buy a used Walker and we just started using it for small residential and like it a lot! We don't want to bag so we got the attachment to run the grass out the rear bin. This unit is the best for handling in small tight places, can't tell you how happy we are with the unit. Now I am going to get a 36" side discharge deck and make it into a mulcher. I wish they made a 36" mulching deck. The unit is small and isn't as likely to draw the attention of homeowner that don't like big equipment.

MTR
10-01-2005, 02:32 AM
I would get a 52" Stander instead of 52" TTHP. I have 52" TTHP as my main and I am shopping for a Z, probably 52" Gravely or 52" Hustler or Scag. The TTHP is great mower but IMO, it is too slow with max speed only 6 mph, you need a helper to do trimming and edging & blowing while you mow. With a Z you can do it all with better producitivity and less fatigue. The big problem I have with TTHP is fatigue and that sucks on productivity. I have had to pass many great accounts this season cause I could not keep up alone with TTHP, that is why I need a Z. Stander is the between of TTHP and Z.

Hovey's Lawn Care
10-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Lol cutter, great idea do I get demo pay? lol! I looked at wright standers, were pretty neat but wasn't totally taken. I didnt demo one, though they might be a good choice. I may try one before I make a decision. I think I'd just rather loose my lazer, and get a lazer hp, and possibly a hydro walk as well. Anyone have a lazer hp they want to supersize?!

Cutter LLC
10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I was just kidding but seriously if you want to take a spin on a super mini z just pm me and we can meet after work. I live and work on the north side of indy (with about a million other lcos). But this unit is perfect IMO for residentials, and pretty reasonable on price.

Hovey's Lawn Care
10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks cutter! I am down near greenwood with what seems like 2 million other lcos! I might have to meet you sometime and check it out.

edward hedrick
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Try a Walker Mb w 48 or 56". Ed