PDA

View Full Version : Gas cans

PTP
09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I really don't like those new ventless gas cans. Why did we have to change? Did the EPA or some govt agency have their nose where it didn't belong?

First of all, they don't pour good - especially the 5 gallon cans. It takes twice as long as it used to to fill up the mower.

Also, the gas always sloshes out of these things. The little yellow caps are useless and always get lost and so when I hit a bump, there goes a little bit. I think that a bunch is evaporating as well. I think that I loose about 2 gallons per week with these things. That is not a lot but I could use that extra $6 for something better.

If the change was just a decision by Blitz, it was a terrible one.

Keith
09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't know if Chilton is still making cans, but they were pretty nice. I started using those after it became difficult to find the Rubbermaid cans. Then they became impossible to find. Last I knew of, Wedco was still making the old Rubbermaid design and selling them under the Briggs & Stratton name. Wedco makes two kinds for Briggs, so there is no guarantee you will find the one I am referring to. I found a few three years ago and never found them again.

It has to do with certain states not allowing the vented cans to be sold. I think it is 5 states that have to have the CARB certified models. There will be more in the future. And guess what...someone will figure out how to make a ventless work great. But for now, that thing Blitz sells makes up the majority of gas can sales.

When my last Briggs can gave out, I bought a No-Spill for the 2 cycle stuff. I like it. It works good for that purpose. Sure beats trying to fill a little opening with a Blitz ventless :dizzy:

Here is the No-Spill. http://www.no-spill.com/classiccans.htm

JMB
09-29-2005, 10:09 PM
The best ones that I have found are at the John Deere dealer. They are made for diesel (blue) but work just as well for gas. They are very thick. You can drop a full one off the back of the truck and it wont bust. They have large nozzles and screw on vent caps. I usually adjust the vent to get the amount of fuel flow that I want.

JMB
09-29-2005, 10:16 PM
The best ones that I have found are at the John Deere dealer. They are made for diesel (blue) but work just as well for gas. They are very thick. You can drop a full one off the back of the truck and it wont bust. They have large nozzles and screw on vent caps. I usually adjust the vent to get the amount of fuel flow that I want.

Howard Roark
09-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I really don't like those new ventless gas cans. Why did we have to change? Did the EPA or some govt agency have their nose where it didn't belong?

First of all, they don't pour good - especially the 5 gallon cans. It takes twice as long as it used to to fill up the mower.

Also, the gas always sloshes out of these things. The little yellow caps are useless and always get lost and so when I hit a bump, there goes a little bit. I think that a bunch is evaporating as well. I think that I loose about 2 gallons per week with these things. That is not a lot but I could use that extra $6 for something better.

If the change was just a decision by Blitz, it was a terrible one.

Agreed.

I'm tired of swapping out yellow caps from my stationary cans to the ones that go on the truck.
Doesn't pour when you think it will, then flows like crazy when you're ready to stop.

TClawn
09-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I can't seem to find ventless gas cans either. I've been picking them up at yard sales, because I don't like waiting 5 minutes to pour to gallons. I've thought about making my own vent, but I haven't done it yet.

I agree on the blitz cans. I've already lost two of the yellow caps.

LB1234
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Simple solution...

Take your 'ventless' gas can and poke a small airhole on the opposite end. You now have a 'vented' gas can. Works great for filling the 5 and 10 gallon tanks on our mowers.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-30-2005, 07:11 AM
I have lost the yellow tops also and here is a good replacement. Go to a heavy truck parts store or NAPA or carquest. What I put on mine is a rubber plug that is made for the hub caps on the oil filled hubs on a semi trailer. It fits fairly snug and stays on good, just carry your nozzle with you so you can size it.

mrusk
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
I hate those cans!! Now i just put 1in less in each can when i fill them up. Then i can pour stright out of the can with no nozzle. It works for me.

Matt

ProMo
09-30-2005, 07:43 AM
I put a small hole under the handle to speed things up

grass_cuttin_fool
09-30-2005, 07:44 AM
Here is a picture of what i was talking about. Sorry about the pic it is a cheap camera but at least you can get the idea of what i'm talking about.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
oh well so much for the picture, I never can get it to post lol

brucec32
09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
On the "wide mouth" openings on my Exmark and Toros, I just screw the spout off and pour it right in like it's a Jerry can. No spills unless you get careless, and fills very fast.

Lawn Masters
09-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Ok, so I'm NOT the only one who hates those damn ventless pieces of crap. thank god. I use steel cans, and a funnel. they work just as good for me, so I use em. beyond that, I just like the steel cans for whatever reason. the steel 5 gallon cans work well for regular fuel, then I use a 1 gallon for mix, just fill that one each day or so as needed to keep the thing going, and I'm happy. that, and the steel ones, well I've yet to see one wear out from use, and I flat out beat the crap out of the cans through a normal work day.

lawnmaniac883
09-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Im sure there is a way to make your own vent on one of these, even if you drill a hole and use a small rubber flask plug when not in use, something is better than nothing!

riches139
09-30-2005, 07:59 PM
This is where I bought my steel safety cans.
www.omarksafety.com

AlpineNaturescapes
10-01-2005, 02:37 AM
When the EPA figures out they are doing more harm than good because everyone modifies these hated cans, maybe we'll get something else. They could build a vent into the spout. But I stocked up on the old ones when I saw they were changing over - and bought a few of the old caps to boot.

PTP
10-01-2005, 09:06 AM
The inability of these things to pour is only a part of the problem. The bigger problem is the amount of gas that I loose. Especially with the 5 gallon cans, the gas sloshes out of the spout even when I load it into the trailer too roughly. When you figure that combined with evaporation because they are not sealed, I am loosing quite a bit of grass.

Maybe I will break down and buy some of those steel cans.

LB1234
10-01-2005, 11:03 AM
The inability of these things to pour is only a part of the problem. The bigger problem is the amount of gas that I loose. Especially with the 5 gallon cans, the gas sloshes out of the spout even when I load it into the trailer too roughly. When you figure that combined with evaporation because they are not sealed, I am loosing quite a bit of grass.

Maybe I will break down and buy some of those steel cans.

Another simple solution...

Don't fill your cans up all the way. You'd be surprised how much less of a mess 4.5 gallons makes than 5 gallons in a 5 gallon container.

TriCountyLawn
10-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I use plastic 2 gallon no spill kinda cans for my 2-cycle but for reg gas and diesiel i use military surplus cans.

Drew Gemma
10-01-2005, 05:11 PM
go to generator joes.com they have every can and option you need $$$ yes costly but the military cans are the best thing ever. no swelling and shrinking no gas spills, vented spouts you can even make them into a quick fill can. I spent $100 got 2 cans they are nice to use and I think how much I hate blitz and how they should take them leaky, swelling, crappy pouring cans and shove them right up their A$$!

topsites
10-02-2005, 01:28 AM
Craftsman may not make commercial-grade gas-powered equipment, but the best thing I ever did was when I got started I bought several of them... Not knowing what was coming, they've lasted me 4 years thou one of the 5-gallon cans hit the dirt. They're the old kind with the ventilated hole + cap.

What's this about ventless, the new POS cans DO have the vent inside the nozzle but I do agree, it is ghey, especially the stupid cap... I'm not so sure it was an EPA thing, I think someone did something stupid with an old-style can and what we see is the end result of what was then labeled a 'dangerous' container. The spill issue is one reason I fuel up the night before and leave all cans at home, besides it doesn't boil in the shade.

Those steel cans are nice, but not at 60 bucks each...

LB1234
10-02-2005, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=topsites] The spill issue is one reason I fuel up the night before and leave all cans at home, [QUOTE]

Wish we could, but sometimes we burn all the fuel in the mower.