PDA

View Full Version : Honda Engines

Cage
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm a Kohler/Kawasaki fan at heart but I'm starting see more comm'l equipment outfitted with Honda's. Everything from Z's to 21". What's your take on this engines on those type of units used in our line of business. I've heard parts are expensive. I'm just looking for some feedback to satisfy my couriosity

JMB
09-30-2005, 12:03 AM
IMHO, one of the most reliable engines on the market.

Petr51488
09-30-2005, 12:05 AM
I agree. Honda, to me makes the best engines. I own roughly 7 machines that have honda engines on them. If you take care of them they will take care of you. I have not had any problems with them.

TURFLORD
09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Excellent engines. Kawi's are good but getting very expensive. I didn't know Honda made mower engines over 14hp. And believe this or not I like my BS Vanguard 20hp. If I had to choose, I would take the Kohlers over all. Just as good as Hondas but very reasonably priced.

Restrorob
09-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda is #1 in my book, Almost every piece of equipment in our rental department is Honda powered, They are like the energizer bunny. :blob3:
As for the post ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^I work on more Kohlers than Hondas by a long shot.

AL Inc
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Another vote for Honda. I still like the Kawi's and have had great luck with them, but I think the Hondas are great. The most reliable engines I have owned.

mcwlandscaping
09-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Kawis are great but Hondas reign over all. Great engines!

MBDiagMan
09-30-2005, 03:06 PM
In my experience the Hondas are the only other engine in the same league as Kawasaki. The only downside is that parts are expensive and sometimes hard to get.

That said, with either of these engines you rarely need replacement parts. You will have exceptions to this rule with all makers, but overall you have good odds of getting a long life engine with either one.

Have a great day,
Doc

GreenUtah
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
in the small engines, Honda's are far superior and it has been pricing points that have kept it off most larger pieces, but that is changing. The smaller engines run higher torque at lower rpm, allowing you to power things without full throttle, like pumps and generators for instance, giving you lower noise, vibration and fuel use. these things and the fact that honda is no stranger to larger engines(think motorcylces) and you'll see that if they so choose to come in line with pricing, it won't be long before they are the standard. I completely disagree with Kohler making a top level engine. Kohler makes a cheap, loud engine prone to exhaust leaks/head warping and electrical problems. I never had to have a honda engine of any sort serviced beyond filters, oil and spark plugs.

TURFLORD
09-30-2005, 03:33 PM
QUOTE=restrorob]Honda is #1 in my book, Almost every piece of equipment in our rental department is Honda powered, They are like the energizer bunny. :blob3:
As for the post ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^I work on more Kohlers than Hondas by a long shot.[/QUOTE]
WTF would a mechanic know about it. Sitting in a shop all day turning wrenches isn't going to tell you what holds up in the field. If your working on alot more Kohlers than Hondas, I'll say that means there are alot more Kohlers out in the field. My plate packer has a Honda. The only Honda engine on a mower that I've seen, excluding pushers, was an old GVX400 or something on a wb I had back in the Eighties. I've got a Kohler Magnum 8 on my spray tank. 13 years and the thing doesn't leak or burn a drop. Oh yeah BS also mean Bullsh!t. Notice any corrollation. Snapperhead. :p

wayupnorth
09-30-2005, 04:57 PM
I have owned a Honda 5518 utility tractor since 1991 and I can honestly say that the only thing I have put in the engine is oil and filters. It is 18hp. LC 4WD 4wheel steering. The unit will go another ten years or more IMHO. I mow approx. 15 acres in the summer and blow snow with a 42" blower in the winter.It runs as smooth as the day I got it. This summer I bought a JD 997 72" and I can only hope it lasts as long as the Honda.

Restrorob
09-30-2005, 10:32 PM
QUOTE=restrorob]Honda is #1 in my book, Almost every piece of equipment in our rental department is Honda powered, They are like the energizer bunny. :blob3:
As for the post ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^I work on more Kohlers than Hondas by a long shot.
WTF would a mechanic know about it. Sitting in a shop all day turning wrenches isn't going to tell you what holds up in the field. If your working on alot more Kohlers than Hondas, I'll say that means there are alot more Kohlers out in the field. My plate packer has a Honda. The only Honda engine on a mower that I've seen, excluding pushers, was an old GVX400 or something on a wb I had back in the Eighties. I've got a Kohler Magnum 8 on my spray tank. 13 years and the thing doesn't leak or burn a drop. Oh yeah BS also mean Bullsh!t. Notice any corrollation. Snapperhead. :p[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you this friend, Where do you think MOST people take there broke down equipment ? To a Service Center, I get a better view of whats good and whats not, Strong points and weak points. I know first hand what is coming to the market before it's released. I don't know how riding a unit around in circles in somebodys yard is going to show you what is going on in the industry. So I don't know where your coming from but all I was doing is merely making a true comment. Have you replaced over 40 Kohler head gaskets in the past year and a half ? How about Kawasaki coils or Briggs camshafts ? Everything has good points and bad points and thus far I have had to work on less Hondas than the others.

Take Care Friend and have a good day.

JMB
09-30-2005, 10:54 PM
WTF would a mechanic know about it. Sitting in a shop all day turning wrenches isn't going to tell you what holds up in the field. If your working on alot more Kohlers than Hondas, I'll say that means there are alot more Kohlers out in the field. My plate packer has a Honda. The only Honda engine on a mower that I've seen, excluding pushers, was an old GVX400 or something on a wb I had back in the Eighties. I've got a Kohler Magnum 8 on my spray tank. 13 years and the thing doesn't leak or burn a drop. Oh yeah BS also mean Bullsh!t. Notice any corrollation. Snapperhead. :p[/QUOTE]

The mechanic at the dealership is generally the first or second one that I talk to before I plop down my money on any new machine. I want to know if there are any known problems with any part of the machine, not just the engine.

As for Honda not putting their engines on anything but pushers, Scag has a 24hp Honda on the Tiger Cub and their are rumors of new 28 and 31 hp engines from Honda for 2006.

Restrorob
10-01-2005, 12:50 AM
[/QUOTE]The mechanic at the dealership is generally the first or second one that I talk to before I plop down my money on any new machine. I want to know if there are any known problems with any part of the machine, not just the engine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks JMB, I don't know where this guy was comming from.

dcplace2004
10-01-2005, 01:02 AM
perhaps pay for a message after a hard day of lowballing...Try meditation--It may work...peace...

Rhinox29
10-01-2005, 09:41 AM
One of my local hustler dealers has 44 and 52 inch fasttraks with a 18 hp and a 20hp Honda on them.

lawnmaniac883
10-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Jeez Turf Lord, everyone is entitled to their own view, a mechanic IMO may have a better one than others, take it easy man, dont bash someones head in because of their opinion on things.

mowtech
10-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda is currently making a big push to be considered more on commercial turf equipment so you will see them more and more. On the other hand, they are the most difficult engine manufacturer for an OEM to work with which means the move may be slower than some of you would like to see.

GREENGAR
10-04-2005, 10:52 AM
I've got Honda engines on all of my mowers and edgers, they are brilliant, reliable. My rotary slasher is 19yo and still starts up first time every time. It's on its 3rd mower frame but still keeps on going strong.