PDA

View Full Version : Demod a Toro 62" with the liquid cooled diesel today!

Green Pastures
09-29-2005, 11:49 PM
What a beast.

I want one.

It's the godzilla of lawn mowers.

I mowed thick grass with it that was 6-8" tall down to 3.5" and I never went less than full speed ahead unless I was turning. I never heard it bog and it dispersed that grass at least 6' out the side.

Mt 26 hp EFI was in the shop for some warranty work so Nick's Lawn & Garden in Grafton Virginia was nice enough to let me take the new diesel Toro they had in stock.

Thanks Tom.

Envy Lawn Service
09-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Real commercial mowers are DIESEL POWERED right? :p

V-twin gas engines are sick in comparison.
Not even remotely in the same league.

And to top it off, that big beast is WAY more efficent and cost effective to operate than even your EFI.

Mickhippy
09-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Like Ive said before, Hustler SZ 60" with a 25 - 28hp air cooled Kub diesel. Be sweet!

Green Pastures
09-30-2005, 06:53 AM
I've only recently become diesel unbiased. :blush:

MBDiagMan
09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I haven't demo'ed that one, but I have demo'ed a Bad Boy, 72 with Cat Diesel. As you say, something like this is grass chewing beast.

If you mow enough and maintain your equipment properly so as to get the return from such a machine then it would be the ultimate grass cutting machine.

What brand diesel engine was on the toro?

Have a great day,
Doc

lawnmaniac883
09-30-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the ultimate mother of a machine is that 51hp diesel dixie chopper.

MBDiagMan
09-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Yep, I expect that the torque that would come with a 51HP diesel would for sure be a grass chewing ground shaker.

Have a great day,
Doc

South Florida Lawns
09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
A diesel will out mow and out last any gasser out there. Plus the efficiency is much better as they have less fuel consumption.

Tall Rider
09-30-2005, 09:35 PM
I notice one thing in common with all these other machines. These Hustler and Toro mowers use Kubota brand diesals. These companies don't even use they're own engine. Why not demo a Kubota ZD with a Kubota Diesal. :D I have used one, ultimate cutter. :p

jtkplc
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I notice one thing in common with all these other machines. These Hustler and Toro mowers use Kubota brand diesals. These companies don't even use they're own engine. Why not demo a Kubota ZD with a Kubota Diesal. :D I have used one, ultimate cutter. :p

Hustler and Toro are not engine manufacturers. Besides, Hustler uses CAT and Toro uses Daihatsu.

mowtech
10-01-2005, 11:35 AM

Just because Kubota makes great engines doesn't mean they build great mowers. Don't they use Kohler engines in their gas versions? Better not consider Kubota if you want gas. With your logic those wanting gas units should prefer those mowers now built by Briggs and Stratton--Simlicity et al. Hustler and Toro focus on making great mowers not engines.

ALarsh
10-01-2005, 03:00 PM
What diesel engine was in it? I am thinking about trading in my toro z 27 hp kohler in for a toro diesel.

62" deck? Did you mean 60"???

jtkplc
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
What diesel engine was in it? I am thinking about trading in my toro z 27 hp kohler in for a toro diesel.

62" deck? Did you mean 60"???

Toro Daihatsu Diesel (http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z590/index.html)

CHRIS MELROSE
10-01-2005, 05:05 PM
A diesel will out mow and out last any gasser out there. Plus the efficiency is much better as they have less fuel consumption.

It will outlast the product it's bolted to as well. Least you'll have a good boat anchor.

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
It will outlast the product it's bolted to as well. Least you'll have a good boat anchor.

Yeah, and as I've said before, if you keep a mower any length of time, the mower will outlast the V-twin gasser... prompting a re-power to the tune of $1,500-$2,000+.... or the cost of having the benefit of just getting the diesel option in the first place.

Downtime is killer... and gas bills don't look great at the moment.

ALarsh
10-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Toro Daihatsu Diesel (http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z590/index.html)

I was wondering if it was a new model that is not on the toro website yet because he said 62" deck.

jtkplc
10-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I was wondering if it was a new model that is not on the toro website yet because he said 62" deck.

ah, gotcha.

TClawn
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, and as I've said before, if you keep a mower any length of time, the mower will outlast the V-twin gasser... prompting a re-power to the tune of $1,500-$2,000+.... or the cost of having the benefit of just getting the diesel option in the first place.

Downtime is killer... and gas bills don't look great at the moment.

envy, just from a interest stand point, why did you buy the lesco with a 25hp kawasaki GAS engine, when you have been pushing diesel mowers ever since I've seen your posts.

was it an economical decision? or was it weight and hillside stability?

I am sure that the next mower I get will be a diesel.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 01:49 AM
envy, just from a interest stand point, why did you buy the lesco with a 25hp kawasaki GAS engine, when you have been pushing diesel mowers ever since I've seen your posts.

was it an economical decision? or was it weight and hillside stability?

I am sure that the next mower I get will be a diesel.

Hey man, just read your post.
That is a very good question and a very long story.
So to make it understandable requires an long answer....

The REASON I ended up making the decision I did was not based on any one thing really. It was based on several individual factors. I'll explain to you how it all went down.

I went into the decison making process on the last several mowers I have bought with the pre-determined mindset that a diesel would be my #1 choice and this one was no different. I also always go into it with a cash budget large enough to get anything I want in the class of mower I'm shopping for. That way, I am not heavily swayed by price when deciding.

For me, the only financial consideration is the period certain cost effectiveness of the purchase over time. Cut quality, productivity, efficency, quality, reliability, service, support, ease of maintenance, and so forth. All that contributes to the long term value and cost effectiveness of owning and operating a piece of equipment.... most of which puts diesels on the top of the list from the beginning.

But in addition, I also had a lot going on personally to consider. One being I had already spent a ton of money on business equipment over the last few seasons, most of which by in large I had either taken a loss on, due to downtime, or was unsatisfied with. In addition I had also suffered a large financial loss of business. So I was battling the confusion of rather to replace or take things to the next level with an upgrade from my current equipment situation at the time, while staring all these other factors in the face.

I tired to keep a clear head in spite of it though. So I picked out what I felt were the best replacement choices and the best upgrade choices. I had gas and diesel choices in both groups. I weighed them all heavily and narrowed down both groups based on machine ability, cost effectiveness, service/support and distance to that service/support.

In the replacement group I had about 10 options and 2 of those were diesel. (10 total)
In the upgrade group I had 10 options and 6 of those had a diesel option. (16 total)

I was pretty much in a stalemate for a while though. I figured the only thing I could do was try to divide and conquer. So I started trying to further divide them and select the top choices in each group for my criteria. All the while, Lesco was no more than a back burner thought.... Cub was local for $2,100 more which was not a major deal to me.

So I started shopping, doing demos, rating, and made a few offers to strike deals. Basically, I made my catafory choices, but many of the dealers actions did most of the eliminations for me. With what I had left, basically I came down to the wire with some choices and basically only had two catagories left to aid my final selection. One was the whole dealer service/support/distance thing and the other was long term cost effectiveness.

So I started evaluating cost effectiveness, and over the log haul, I figured it would be more cost effective to go with diesel in either group, and more cost effective to take it to the next level with an upgrade if I could personally go to the next level in the field. But I was not sure about the 'next level' stuff. So I kept my options open. I was left with 2 Grasshopper diesels, 2 Country Clippers, 3 Gravelys, 3 Toros and 2 Bob-Cats which would self-eliminate shortly after.

The diesel options from each brand were the most cost effective, and of those, the Grasshoppers had the clear advantage across the board. So I negotiated further with the 4 dealers, Grasshopper winning again, both being the closest to me and the one I felt most comfortable with...

So I decided I would go with Grasshopper, and not only that, but I also had decided that with one stipulation I would also suprise that dealer and buy a pair. A replacement machine (the 321D demo I had) and an upgrade (a brand new 322D). The stipulation I had was that I just returned the demo and told the owner I would buy it if he would have his shop check out one item and report back to me. The idea was it was something I needed to be sure of about the mower, and if all went well I'd go back and inform him that I was getting two.

Well that little thing sorta turned into a test I guess because the dealer never followed through, which left me with a sick feeling. So I contacted the Country Clipper dealer (out of town) and put an offer on the table for the owner. Response was sort of sluggish there, so I said what the heck and called the closer but last dealer choice while killing time. That was the Gravely dealer, who frankly offended me rather quickly on his idea of a "cash" deal. Eliminated!

I stayed patient with the owner of the Country Clipper dealer because I felt comfortable still about their service, liked the machine, and they were also a lot less far out of town than the Toro/eXmark dealer. Basically I was ready to buy from the CC dealer at a fair price, and I mean ready to buy. So it came down to a time where they promised to get back to me next-day to accept or strike a close deal. Loosers finally got around to sending me an e-mail 2 weeks after I had already bought, wondering if I had bought yet, and offering me a lesser machine we had already discussed that I told them I did not want.

Anyways, at that point I was really pizzed off at the locals, if they were even close enough to call that. So I decided I was left with the choice of forgiving the Grasshopper dealer, passing on the demo and getting one new 322D... or going really far out of town and trying to decide which 500 series Toro.

The Grasshopper I felt was the best mower choice of the two and the dealer was closer. But I had been burned on service, I was disappointed in the locals, and mad that I felt I would have to go so far away just to feel comfortable about the service.

At that point, I said hell, if I have to go that far out of town just to get decent service, I ought to go ahead and just consider Lesco and save some bucks for the distance issue. So I ran all the numbers on Toro, Lesco and Grasshopper. Grasshopper topped Toro aside from the dealer spat.... and Lesco was honestly the only gas powered mower that I had found that could posssibly be more cost effective than the Grasshopper diesel over the long haul.

I picked up the phone, made a call, was very impressed, drove down for a demo, was sold on the mower and the service. So I bought one on the spot.

....And that's how I ended up with a Lesco gasser instead of a diesel.....

Green Pastures
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry, I guess it was a 60" deck......

TClawn
10-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey man, just read your post.
That is a very good question and a very long story.
So to make it understandable requires an long answer....

The REASON I ended up making the decision I did was not based on any one thing really. It was based on several individual factors. I'll explain to you how it all went down.

I went into the decison making process on the last several mowers I have bought with the pre-determined mindset that a diesel would be my #1 choice and this one was no different. I also always go into it with a cash budget large enough to get anything I want in the class of mower I'm shopping for. That way, I am not heavily swayed by price when deciding.

For me, the only financial consideration is the period certain cost effectiveness of the purchase over time. Cut quality, productivity, efficency, quality, reliability, service, support, ease of maintenance, and so forth. All that contributes to the long term value and cost effectiveness of owning and operating a piece of equipment.... most of which puts diesels on the top of the list from the beginning.

But in addition, I also had a lot going on personally to consider. One being I had already spent a ton of money on business equipment over the last few seasons, most of which by in large I had either taken a loss on, due to downtime, or was unsatisfied with. In addition I had also suffered a large financial loss of business. So I was battling the confusion of rather to replace or take things to the next level with an upgrade from my current equipment situation at the time, while staring all these other factors in the face.

I tired to keep a clear head in spite of it though. So I picked out what I felt were the best replacement choices and the best upgrade choices. I had gas and diesel choices in both groups. I weighed them all heavily and narrowed down both groups based on machine ability, cost effectiveness, service/support and distance to that service/support.

In the replacement group I had about 10 options and 2 of those were diesel. (10 total)
In the upgrade group I had 10 options and 6 of those had a diesel option. (16 total)

I was pretty much in a stalemate for a while though. I figured the only thing I could do was try to divide and conquer. So I started trying to further divide them and select the top choices in each group for my criteria. All the while, Lesco was no more than a back burner thought.... Cub was local for $2,100 more which was not a major deal to me.

So I started shopping, doing demos, rating, and made a few offers to strike deals. Basically, I made my catafory choices, but many of the dealers actions did most of the eliminations for me. With what I had left, basically I came down to the wire with some choices and basically only had two catagories left to aid my final selection. One was the whole dealer service/support/distance thing and the other was long term cost effectiveness.

So I started evaluating cost effectiveness, and over the log haul, I figured it would be more cost effective to go with diesel in either group, and more cost effective to take it to the next level with an upgrade if I could personally go to the next level in the field. But I was not sure about the 'next level' stuff. So I kept my options open. I was left with 2 Grasshopper diesels, 2 Country Clippers, 3 Gravelys, 3 Toros and 2 Bob-Cats which would self-eliminate shortly after.

The diesel options from each brand were the most cost effective, and of those, the Grasshoppers had the clear advantage across the board. So I negotiated further with the 4 dealers, Grasshopper winning again, both being the closest to me and the one I felt most comfortable with...

So I decided I would go with Grasshopper, and not only that, but I also had decided that with one stipulation I would also suprise that dealer and buy a pair. A replacement machine (the 321D demo I had) and an upgrade (a brand new 322D). The stipulation I had was that I just returned the demo and told the owner I would buy it if he would have his shop check out one item and report back to me. The idea was it was something I needed to be sure of about the mower, and if all went well I'd go back and inform him that I was getting two.

Well that little thing sorta turned into a test I guess because the dealer never followed through, which left me with a sick feeling. So I contacted the Country Clipper dealer (out of town) and put an offer on the table for the owner. Response was sort of sluggish there, so I said what the heck and called the closer but last dealer choice while killing time. That was the Gravely dealer, who frankly offended me rather quickly on his idea of a "cash" deal. Eliminated!

I stayed patient with the owner of the Country Clipper dealer because I felt comfortable still about their service, liked the machine, and they were also a lot less far out of town than the Toro/eXmark dealer. Basically I was ready to buy from the CC dealer at a fair price, and I mean ready to buy. So it came down to a time where they promised to get back to me next-day to accept or strike a close deal. Loosers finally got around to sending me an e-mail 2 weeks after I had already bought, wondering if I had bought yet, and offering me a lesser machine we had already discussed that I told them I did not want.

Anyways, at that point I was really pizzed off at the locals, if they were even close enough to call that. So I decided I was left with the choice of forgiving the Grasshopper dealer, passing on the demo and getting one new 322D... or going really far out of town and trying to decide which 500 series Toro.

The Grasshopper I felt was the best mower choice of the two and the dealer was closer. But I had been burned on service, I was disappointed in the locals, and mad that I felt I would have to go so far away just to feel comfortable about the service.

At that point, I said hell, if I have to go that far out of town just to get decent service, I ought to go ahead and just consider Lesco and save some bucks for the distance issue. So I ran all the numbers on Toro, Lesco and Grasshopper. Grasshopper topped Toro aside from the dealer spat.... and Lesco was honestly the only gas powered mower that I had found that could posssibly be more cost effective than the Grasshopper diesel over the long haul.

I picked up the phone, made a call, was very impressed, drove down for a demo, was sold on the mower and the service. So I bought one on the spot.

....And that's how I ended up with a Lesco gasser instead of a diesel.....

gotcha.

I am very impressed with my grasshopper dealer here. I can't believe he let my brother (12) demo a 328D. I've thought about selling my exmark (which I am NOT happy with btw) and buying a 321D. my exmark dealer has not treated me with much respect (I wouldn't blame them, you probably wouldn't respect two "kids") but the grasshopper dealer was different. from now on, they get all my business. unfortinatly, I will need a truck soon, so it is not in consideration at the time. but I want that grasshopper diesel. :blob4:

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 02:44 AM
gotcha.

I am very impressed with my grasshopper dealer here. I can't believe he let my brother (12) demo a 328D. I've thought about selling my exmark (which I am NOT happy with btw) and buying a 321D. my exmark dealer has not treated me with much respect (I wouldn't blame them, you probably wouldn't respect two "kids") but the grasshopper dealer was different. from now on, they get all my business. unfortinatly, I will need a truck soon, so it is not in consideration at the time. but I want that grasshopper diesel. :blob4:

I got started early myself... and to me this game ain't about age, it's about mutual respect and handling business transactions professionally. Now as you can tell, I don't care who the dealer is or what brand he sells, if I pick up the wrong vibes, I'm not giving them my business. I'll take my business elsewhere where it is appreciated. I have business interests to look out for, so I do my best to try and make sure I do the best I can in choosing who I do business with.

Recall my "jerk dealer" thread? That was a local Cub Commercial dealer, and I would have paid the extra, but he eliminated himself, and now I have a Lesco.

Anyways, sounds like the Grasshopper dealer is where you need to be doing business. The machines are great. Not to take anything away from the eXmark, but I've said it before, the Grasshopper 321D/52" blows the 23/52" HP completely out of the water. Made me sick. The 321D is bar none the baddest, most productive and efficent 52" mower on the market in my honest to goodness opinion.

The 322D/61" and the 428D/61" are awesome as well. If things would have been different I really would have had a 321D/52 and a 322D/61" right now. Ah well.... I'll consider them again next time around....