PDA

View Full Version : Would a bagger effect stripes?

hamsey
09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I got an accelerator Industries bagger for my TTHP. When using it I do not get those nice defined stripes that I get when not using it. Why would the bagger effect striping? My curious mind would like to know. Thanks for shedding any light on this.

Norm

MBDiagMan
09-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Are you using different blades with the bagger?

Good luck,
Doc

HOOLIE
09-30-2005, 04:32 PM
My Gobbler tends to ride a little low, as a result it will rake over the previous stripe, bending the grass in the opposite direction it was mowed. I've given up worrying about it.

bigcutup
09-30-2005, 04:35 PM
I got an accelerator Industries bagger for my TTHP. When using it I do not get those nice defined stripes that I get when not using it. Why would the bagger effect striping? My curious mind would like to know. Thanks for shedding any light on this.

Norm
I have always been of the opinion that a side bagger will change the weight distribution of the mower, & consequently change the way the unit stripes. I have often wondered as the bagger gets full, if there is enough weight there to effect the cut level. There is definitely more weight on the discharge side of the mower, so does it "flatten" the tires on that side enough to cause the mower to cut lower on that side than the other side.

waffletown20
09-30-2005, 10:19 PM
With the bagger putting weight towards the rear of the deck it could be affecting the pitch of the mower. Since we're talking as little as 1/4 in. there could be enough weight to level the deck. Deck pitch is the key to striping because it angles the suction.

hamsey
10-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I took off the mulching blades and baffles so that I can bag this time of year. If I don't have the bagger on I get good stripes. It must be the weight thing. Bummer! Thanks for the input.

Norm

waffletown20
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
You could easily put a stripe kit on your TTHP and achieve stripes.

Roger
10-01-2005, 09:44 PM
I have an Exmark Viking, 36", and use a Grass Gobbler for bagging. I don't use it much, but some places are bagged. Yes, I think I get better stripes without the GG. But, I've always attributed the change to the air flow under the deck being changed with a bagger in place.

At this time of the season, some of the properties have a scattering of leaves. With the bagger, the deck has a substantial blowout in upper right corner, making a "clean" job with the bagger. Yes, most leaves end up in the GG, but not all. However, if the GG is off, the deck has no blowout in that corner. I think the bagger has a substantial impact on the air flow pattern, hence the kind of stripe the deck leaves on the turf.