PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cam-driven 3-point aerator

EGL&L
09-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Does anyone make a cam-driven aerator for a 3-point category 1 hitch on a compact tractor?
I thought I had found one, the Toro ProCore 440, but it seems that they have discontinued due to lack of sales.
Can anyone tell me of another manufacturer?
Thanks!

EGL&L
10-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have any input at all???
Someone please help.

GreenUtah
10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I think that most of the 3 point aerators that are not rolling corers are hydraulic piston action ones. I think if you google used golf course equip, you'll find more options.

lawn king
10-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Jonn deere may have one or redexum charterhouse.

turfcobob
10-05-2005, 10:39 AM
EGL&L

Question: What do you plan to aerate with a tractor mount recip or pistion type aerator? Reason: Most of what you will find on the market (coring type) JD, and the rest are designed for golf courses not lawns? You put a golf course aerator on a lawn and start hitting stuff you are in for alot of problems.

Tractors have so much power the aerators try to go thru what ever they hit and thus the problem. Some units had slip clutches built in like the old ryan units to protect agains this but they still break alot.

Unless you have very good ground I suggest you stick to rolling type aerators that will roll over rocks, roots and other hidden stuff you will be hitting.

EGL&L
10-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the replies.
TurfcoBob, as a former golf course Supt., I used a GA60 on my fairways, well most of them. We had a severe problem on a few with underlying limestone.
For those few, I bought a large Toro Procore, and it pounded through anything!
Unfortunately the small unit is no longer in production, thus my search. As far as the type of lawn I'll use it on. Most are of good soil condition, with a few having some small shale particles throughout. I just don't like the rolling core aerators, maybe I have been spoiled from the golf equipment that I became accustomed to.
I have been trying to get top dressing started in my area, and have been slowly picking up customers. I usually use some Zeolite mixed with sand as my material. I am hopeful that next springs results from this falls work will land more customers.
Thanks to all who have responded. I will continue with my search.

Bob

turfcobob
10-07-2005, 06:57 PM
EGL&L
You may want to look at the J Deere small 3 points then. they are built good. the same engineer that did alot of the GA-30 and 60 design work went to JD and did aerators there before he moved on. What he learned from the 30s & 60s he put in the JD. they are stout machines.
Turfcobob

plateau lawn care
10-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Go to www.jacobsencommercial.com they have a 3 point. Click on products and scroll around.

burgundybob
10-08-2005, 09:44 AM
By 3 point I take it you mean tractor pulled.
The best I have ever seen and owned is the First Products Aera-vator.It's a segmented, powered, spiker that vibrates and shatters the soil as it rolls over it.
It is big and heavy, 60 inches, and designed for large areas. They make a smaller 42 inch model that tows behind most lawn tractors and some units can be attached to specific front deck mowers with lift arms..
What I really like about mine is that it will flat out breakup any and all hard pan it finds. It saves me a lot of time by not having to go back over any areas.
Since I do not have one of the few mowers that can accept the factory built out front, lift up and put down units, I too am looking for the ultimate small machine for overseeding.
In Aug. here in Hampton Roads, Va. its hot and the ground is usually like a brick. Light spikers and aeravarors just don't cut it. A slit seeder would be nice, but I wonder if the durability and ease of use are issues. Power aeravators work well but are they the most effective answer.
I guess there are so many choices I am asking what works for you?
Bob

EGL&L
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Bob,
To this point I have relied on aeration and over-seeding. I really haven't come against any hard pan issues to date, and certainly hope I don't. I do sometimes use a topdressing material, depending upon the lawn condition. As I said earlier, I like to use Zeolite, as it increase the Cation Exchange Capacity of the soil, and helps it to adhere water and other nutrients.
I know on the golf course we would use a Floyd McKay "deep tine" aerator for those applications. It would easily penetrate 8"-9".
We would also slit-seed certain areas using an OLD Jacobsen unit.
I have not yet needed or used any of these methods in a residential setting, as the cost is somewhat prohibitive.
With a good rain like we'we just experienced, I was able to core 2"-3" with a walking Bluebird today. That's certainly adequate to get some good over-seeding done.
Last weeks jobs have germination today, and I'm sure that todays work will be germinating by this Sunday, thanks to the soil temps of a warm September.
I don't think I have been of much help with your situation, but I am not experiencing the same type of soil conditions that you face.
Good luck, and let me know if make a purchase.
Bob

HIGHTEKTURFNTRZ
02-14-2007, 06:45 PM
GREETINGS.......I know I'm late in replying to searches for 3pt hitch cam aerifiers and seeders, but here goes: Deere & others have discontinued the four foot and smaller aerifiers, but Sisis, GreenCare International/Coremaster, and a few others still make good units. These are outstanding and built to be heavy duty. The English Sisis unit comes with 7/8th inch jumbo thatching tines. This is the only tine I know that will pull a super shallow 1/2" deep plug, Swiss-Cheesing the turf surface on a 2x2 or 2x1 inch pattern.....creating a protected sub-surface seedbed. Depending on soil strength...it is hard to degrade the seedtake in this "matrix", as golf carts and people/small animals can still move over the protected seed pockets. Seeder-slicing or better yet "spike seeding" to this with a Sisis Variseeder or Blec Multi-Seeder.......and you'll get outstanding results and survival.
Question: I've taken in used Ryan GA60PT aerifiers; How do they hold up and just how difficult is maintenance? also experienced with several others...previously a golf super and writer for 10+ years. Scott

turfcobob
02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I was just at the Colorado show and saw a unit from Plugr, Rock Solid out of Lincoln Nebraska. I asked Nathan Antons the Plugr Sales Manager and he said they were making a small tractor pto unit. You may want to visit with them.

nantons@sourceonex.com

Bob