PDA

View Full Version : Anyone foam your ZTR tires?

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I cut my rear tire on a job this evening and it quickly went flat. The tire shop says the ZTR tires are thin and patches usually don't hold. He suggested having them "foamed". I assume this is some type of rubber foam. Has anyone messed with this?

all ferris
09-30-2005, 10:23 PM
this adds too much weight

TURF DOCTOR
09-30-2005, 10:24 PM
No No I would not fill the rear tires they will ride rough and tear up the turf the small front tires will work

The Captain
09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
I've put "Slime", the green stuff, in all my inflatable tires. Works great for me. No more flats. I've read on here (Lawnsite) the foam gives you a very stiff, uncomfortable ride and as all ferris just said they weigh a ton.

As usual, do the 'Search" thing for more info.

Jim

JMB
09-30-2005, 11:11 PM
I also use the green "Slime". I don't know about San Antonio, but there is a lot of Mesquite trees around here and my tires wouldn't last an hour without "Slime". If the cut is to big for the slime to patch, you're probably gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new tire, but I would try the slime first.

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I had it patched and got a couple of bottles of slime. I doubt if the patch will hold for long. The cut is about 1/2" long. I'll probably buy a new wheel/tire for spare after this fiasco. The foam is still tempting. I wonder how much it weighs. The ferris has pretty good suspension, so I doubt the ride will be substantially affected. Currently, if you're not extra careful, the monster wide tires wreak havoc on the turf, especially if the turf is thin.

Oldtimer
10-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Do not foam the tires.

Oldtimer

westwind
10-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Do not foam the tires.

Oldtimer
I agree, the foam is also trouble when you do go to replace the tires, same with slime. Suggest buying 2 sets of tires, carrying plugs and slime. ;)

MOW ED
10-01-2005, 08:44 AM
One more to chime in, Do Not Foam the Rear Tires.

You will regret it and it will end up costing you much more than you can imagine. The Ferris may have a good suspension but so do cars and trucks. There are no solid tires on cars or trucks for very good reason.

You will add a significant amount of weight but you will actually shake the mower apart over time. The ride will be unbearable. I have foamed tires on caster wheels only. My Toro Z has the caster wheels foamed and they are heavy and I can notice a difference while mowing. Hard ride. There are some vendors that sell foamed casters and some of them are lighter than the foam you will get at a tire shop. My Walker is very light but then I don't support lots of weight on the out front deck.
My advise to you is buy a back up set of tires and wheels but don't foam them.

EXspyguy
10-01-2005, 09:15 AM
The ride will be bad and there is no give to the tire. If you hop over curbs you risk the chance of breaking the shafts and/or the hubs on you hydro motors.

Oldtimer
10-01-2005, 11:11 AM
The only one who will have a happy face is the dealer.

Oldtimer :) payup

chimmygew
10-01-2005, 12:38 PM
I spoke to my local dealer and he told me that scag is coming out with a no-flat tire that has air bladders inside somehow to keep them constantly full of air.

KUL FIR CHICK N
10-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Ok Ok I got the message. No foamed tires.

I'm going to get a spare wheel/tire for front and rear. I'll also be a lot more carefull with the tires. I haven't priced them yet but I know its gonna hurt.

KUL FIR CHICK N
10-01-2005, 05:26 PM
by the way, I had the tire patched and put about 6hr on it today. I didn't go easy on it and so far its holding.

cantoo
10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
KUL this is what you need to use on your tire. It is patched from the inside. We use them quite a bit.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/420604.htm

The Captain
10-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Cantoo, I just checked Northern tools site with your link......You must have found a good solution. "Due to high demand, Item #...... is no longer available." I hope you've got a good supply stached away. (LOL) Kul, you can also use a 'boot' placed inside the tire to cover the slice/hole if it's not to large and then put a tube in for less money than a new tire.

Jim

Jim