PDA

View Full Version : Question for cyclone rake owners

The Happy Gardner
10-01-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm going to get a cyclone rake this season for leaf removal. Mainly for a couple apartment complexes I have. I will be using it behind a good Honda rider I rarely use so I can have it as a committed tool and not have to be trading it out a lot. Also the rider is fine for the areas I'll be using it for ( no small turns needed )

My question is the optional shoot to connect the hose to the deck. This seems to be a concern in earlier posts but that was on z machines. The rider has a bagging unit so I already have a shoot. Will this work or would I be better off getting the one cyclone rake sells?????

dcplace2004
10-01-2005, 02:23 PM
leaves in piles that I cannot get to with the unit...I saw this thing on the internet and it looks awesome...cub cadet has one but it is a solid metal unit and cannot be folded...unless I am wrong, I think that collapsable unit is the way to go--folks, correct me if I am wrong...who here has the unit and can speak for it?

Cutter LLC
10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
I own the unit bit it's a couple years old. I hope they have changed the design of the suction hose because it was awkward and troublesome. I use it over small fences my mower won't fit into but it's kinda a pain in the butt. To answer an earlier question if your chute that comes with the bagger does not tend to clog and can be fitted to the cyclone's hose it would be an ideal fit. I had to call trac vac to get a metal one for my z (the plastic one is crap). This unit is okay but not quite as good as advertised.

It's long and does not bend like a trailer. The larger double tires help prevent turf tear. Cut first espiecially if the grass is long, then come back with the CR to clean up the job. It does mulch up the leaves but not to 1/20 or whatever they advertise. About 1/4 to 1/8 realisticly. Soooo if you normally have 100 bags you will get it is about 4 loads or 24 bags. (commercial unit)

It's a good unit overall but takes a little to get the hang of it and the discharge chute is also crap. Ive had no tears in hoses but got the thicker ones with the unit. All in all it cost about 2500 a couple years ago and is my method for removing leaves if the customer doesn't want me to just mulch them up.

macaw
10-02-2005, 10:10 AM
The cute on your Honda should work I use a 8 year old MTD rider I got at lowes
and the bagger cute works real well the only time it gets jammed is when little sticks get sideways in the cute.

The Happy Gardner
10-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Sounds great thanks for the feed back!!!!
I have heard bad things about the optional suction hoses and don't plan on getting them. I my case I don't for see problems with corners and out of the way areas. I'll just blow all my beds onto the lawn the mow them up.
One last question:
Did you change blades when you started using the cyclone attachment?? It seems that gator blades are talked about a lot when dealing with leaves. Up here (in the NorthWest) It's always wet and gator and mega mo blades don't cut wet grass well.