PDA

View Full Version : For all you folks who want to use a mulch kit with the JD Z trac

QualityLawnCare4u
10-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Since Ive had my 2 JD z tracs I have experimented with doubles with the mulch kit, tried the gators on top of med. high lifts, high lifts on top, gators on top of flat blades and all other combos with no big difference. Yesterday I done a yard of pecan leaves and had to go over them 2-3 times to mulch them up good. I will say the 717 beats the 737 hands down on mulching but cant say why. I took some old gators I had for my 717 and put them on my 737 with the shorter gator (16") on top of the longer blade (20") and it worked great. I did another yard of pecan leaves, dog wood, grape vine, and pine straw and it got it in one pass. Just wanted to let you folks try it that have the JD and are thinking about mulching, the heck with bagging when I don't have to!

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I can tell you "WHY" if it really matters to you to know....

QualityLawnCare4u
10-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I can tell you "WHY" if it really matters to you to know....

Sure, lay it on me. I did notice on my 717 that it had baffles under it compared to the 737 wide open deck. Smaller deck size?

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2005, 01:21 AM
OK, you gotta think hard on this one but....

717 had shorter blades which were geared to turn the same tip speed as the 737.

Therefore, since the 717 blades have a shorter length and swing radius, the 717 blade must actually turn a much higher RPM to achieve the tip speed.

Tip speed is one thing.
Blade RPM is another.

dfischer
10-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Quality:

I've a new 757 w/60" and want to mulch exclusivly. I'm cutting Fescue and Bluegrass.

I'm interested in what blade setup you think is best for same. I don't have 2 sets of gators, but do have:

1 set new std blades.
1 set new gator blades.
1 set new mulch blades (from kit)

Some say doubles, some say too much blow out, so the voice of experience would be appreciated!

What deck size do you have? Deere seems to say 19" blades are for a 54" deck and 21" is the 60", so I can't quite tell which one you have.