PDA

View Full Version : tree work

lawnboy82
03-18-2001, 10:57 PM
hey guys i need some help pricing this job. here goes:
(1) 3' diameter red oak over building needs to have dead wood removed. will take 3 guys about 8 hours. everything stays.
(1) cherry tree 8" at base. goes up over childs play house and garage as well as septic. brush chipped.
(1) locust tree right next to cherry tree dead as doornail 3" diameter over same things as cherry.
(2) sugar maples have to take off 10 or so large branches, maybe 5" in diameter each over inground pool, power lines, crappy wood fence.
clean about 2 acres of woods. big hill all brush chipped a couple of dead trees cut down in woods, wood goes. i figure a 2 days to cut up and chip the brush 1 day to get the wood out. i will need to rent a chipper, for 250 a day, an excavator for about 350 a day, and a bobcat for 225 a day. i will need the bobcat for 2 days, the excavator for 2.
there is other work for the chiper. couple of dead trees at another location. same owner. bobcat will be needed there too. so 3 days for the bobcat and 3 for the chipper. 3 for the excavator. how much do you guys figure i should get for all of this stuff? immidiate help would be nice. am doing up the bid tonight.

AVRECON
03-19-2001, 12:19 AM
I'm going to be honest with you. With all the stuff you are talking about renting, I don't see how you are going to make any money. From what I understand from your post about the job it sounds like a 4 to $600 job to me.

lawnboy82
03-19-2001, 12:22 AM
i just did the math, i know i will get it. my numbers are 6,500. no tax because of capital improvement. if i get the chipper for 7 days i get 3 days free. so i have to pay for only 4. the same goes for the other machines. it will take 5 days. gonna go see the guy tomorow.

AVRECON
03-19-2001, 12:33 AM
Sorry, I miss read some of your post. Its really hard to say with out seeing the job. Tree work is hard to price with out seeing the jog but Good Luck!

EarthTech Landscapes
03-19-2001, 01:04 AM
I'd say 6500 to 7000 seems right to me from reading your decsription. good luck.

capital
03-19-2001, 06:55 AM
I was just wondering after reading your post, if you have the correct insurance. IE work comp is specific in iowa regarding tree work. Also your insurance company might have somthing to say regarding limbs that you have to climb for. What is your insurance policy regarding rental equipment? Based on all the equipment you are renting it sounds like you usually don't do this type of work? Good luck....

Lanelle
03-19-2001, 04:10 PM
Also check your liability insurance. Only one big branch has to fall on a building to creature a real headache.

bob
03-19-2001, 09:41 PM
Ask your question on this forum http://www.arboristsite.com/

Runner
03-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Sounds like another sub job to me!

thelawnguy
03-20-2001, 06:07 AM
With all due respect, if you lack the skill and experience to price this job on your own then I doubt you have the skills to tackle this job without causing substantial personal and/or property damage in the process.

lawnboy82
03-20-2001, 09:15 PM
i have to get a new insurance policy for this year. i think i am gonna go with "the hartford" a landscape / tree work policy because last year i did half and half lawns and trees. i know how to price individual trees. but big cleanups and land clearing i am in the dark. i had a friend go out to the cleanup with me. he told me that it would take 3 days minimum to clean up one area about 50' by 50' and the other 2 acres or so would take another couple of days. so he figured a week to a week and a half to clean up the area. and another day or two to do the other stuff. this is a good account for me because they have tons of tree work.

gene gls
03-20-2001, 09:50 PM
lawnboy 82: Make sure your ins. agent knows your compleat activitys. I switched agents this year and found out I have been uninsured for half of my work for the last three years. General Landscape Ins. dosen't cover very much. I am also with The Hartford.
Gene

lawnboy82
03-20-2001, 10:06 PM
i was with nationwide, but i got pissed at them for financial reasons. plus they will not cover tree work. i do a lot of tree work for somebody my age. but i need something to cover tree work. my friend has tree / landcape insurance. so that is good for me. i just cant work with just landscaping insurance. i need tree coverage as well. how does the hartford treat you though?

E-man
03-20-2001, 10:10 PM
Idont know how much experience you have in tree work but if your removing large limbs hanging over power lines and swimming pool ther will probably be some rope work involed main power lines or even house drops are nothing to mess with if you are inexperienced. and the power company wont be to happy if you knock one down.

lawnboy82
03-20-2001, 10:39 PM
i am almost 19 now and have been climbing since i was 15. i have never done any real damage and have done some really crazy stuff. i went around this week taking pictures of some of the trees i have to cut down. so hopefully i can create a web site with them on it. you guys gotta see these.