PDA

View Full Version : Whats better Mow-n-blow crew and a trimming crew or one do it all crew?

Az Gardener
10-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Here everyone does basically the same thing one crew does it all regarding Maintenance, except service calls (irrigation repairs beyond changing nozzles etc.) the same guys mow, fertilize, trim, water pots, check lights, etc. I grew up in Indy and worked summers for a commercial crew and I recall A mow and blow crew and a beds and bushes crew. I have been wondering about the profitability of splitting things up. I know it would save a bundle on equipment costs. Now I would have enough equipment for two beds and bushes crews and two mow crews thats 4 crews. Even though now I am only running two crews. So how do others in other parts of the country do it?

Turfdude
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Its about getting the most "bang for your buck". We run 2 crews for maintenance (mowing) and 1-2 more for the more specific pruning, mulching, etc. I find it best to load the crews for their specialty and not for everything. Load your mulch crew w/ all necewssary tools and schedule the day for jobs w/ the same type of mulch for that day. Your mowing crews should be loaded for an 8-10 hour day as well. You want to get them loaded up & out and working all day on that task & not waste time switching from mowing to pruning, etc...

Az Gardener
10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I couldnt find my thread without doing a search so maybe no one else can. Pro lawn guy your business sounds a lot like mine, what say you? or anyone else here. Thanks in advance for any one who takes the time to respond.

PMLAWN
10-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Separate is best as to much on one truck just gets in the way.
Also some guys are better than others on some things.
1mow and go
2trim bushes-mulch- odds and ends
3Irrigation- odds and ends

lawnlubber
10-02-2005, 12:54 PM
My business is a 2-man operation. We usually set out in the morning in the same truck, but often split up and do differing tasks in the course of a day. My employee is often the "mow and blow crew" leaving me behind to work on a hedge or whatever. He'll come back around to pick me up when I call him. This way I only needed to train him for mowing and I don't need the added costs of additional vehicles on the road.

Az Gardener
12-09-2007, 09:42 AM
This was an old thread but I wanted to bring it up again.

I tried a mow and blow crew and a bed and bushes crew for one summer and it was a disaster. I was wondering what I did wrong. Maybe it was the personnel or too much growth. I am not sure but the problems I ran into were.

The crews were always at odds. Blaming each other for problems. All though I can't remember for what I just remember they didn't get along.
Clients complained the mow crew did not clean well enough.
I probably needed to educate my clients better. The mow crew was just to clean crass clipping mess not blow entire properties.

This sounds a bit rambling but how exactly do you divide up the tasks. What is the mow crews responsibilities?
I think my clients may be too spoiled to go 2-3 weeks without having the entire property cleaned or flowers dead headed etc.

cutemhigh
12-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Landscape class lesson 1: A SHRUB grows in a flower bed..a BUSH is....

lifetree
12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
... I tried a mow and blow crew and a bed and bushes crew for one summer and it was a disaster ...

The crews were always at odds. Blaming each other for problems. All though I can't remember for what I just remember they didn't get along.
Clients complained the mow crew did not clean well enough. ...

This is what I was thinking when I saw the first post in this thread !!

Az Gardener
12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I just think the expectations are different in different parts of the country. Hell they are even different from one client to another. No disrespect to others but what I have seen others call a great job wouldn't cut it with my clients. I just don't think it (beds and "Shrubs" crew) would work with our folks..

I don't claim to be better but we spend more time so we can do more work. The key is to prioritize so you are doing work the client will notice and balancing that against their budget.

I am going to try something a little different. I am going to be sending a personal gardener to my bigger homes once a month just to kind of detail the whole place out. By bigger I mean homes that avg over 10 hours per week. I did my first one last week and the client was really pleased.

topsites
12-09-2007, 12:29 PM
That's the reason I schedule ALL the same type of work for the whole day.
One day it's all mowing.
The next maybe mulch, then whatever, maybe mowing again.
But no switcharoo during the day, same same the entire day, start to finish.

Same with sharpening blades, part of the reason I got 40 or 50 of these dang things is so I can let them pile up...
It's a lot more efficient to sharpen 20 or 30 at a time vs. 3 a day.

Because the more I do the same thing over and over, the more efficient I become.
Even for a solo, yes sir, BIG difference, I can feel it.

Other bonuses: Only the equipment for that day gets loaded = less stuff can get stolen or lost.
Less wear and tear from the weather, the stuff that stays behind usually is covered or out of the worst.
No dealing with crap getting in the way means less stuff gets broken when parts don't catch on each other, the truck is several hundred pounds lighter thus gets better mpg, last but not least it happens to look more organized if for no other reason than there's little stuff to get disorganized.

Other notes: It's an assembly line tactic, ever wonder why they do that? :)

lifetree
12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
That's the reason I schedule ALL the same type of work for the whole day. One day it's all mowing. The next maybe mulch, then whatever, maybe mowing again. But no switcharoo during the day, same same the entire day, start to finish.

Same with sharpening blades, part of the reason I got 40 or 50 of these dang things is so I can let them pile up ... It's a lot more efficient to sharpen 20 or 30 at a time vs. 3 a day.

Because the more I do the same thing over and over, the more efficient I become. ...

Topsites -- This is actually very true ... when something is done on a repetitive basis we become very efficient at it, which means less error are made in the process ... productivity studies have continually demonstrated this fact, time and again ... excellent input !!

SNAPPER MAN
12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I only have a crew that I work on and when we are at a account we mow, edge, trim, blow, rake flower beds, pull weeds, and trim hedges if necessary. Its all in the price so just do it while you are there, why make an extra trip?