PDA

View Full Version : Gravely pm152z?

MTR
10-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Has anyone owned or operated this model pm 152z with 23 kawi? I am very surprised the other day I was at Gravely dealer and the whole machine has NO GREASE ZERK! I asked dealer and he said it was built to cut without greasing maintenace at least 7 years! I am shocked to know this.
So , have you cut with this model and how is it? Fill in as much as you can.
I found that it is built very sturdy and compact and the price is not bad at all compared to other relevant manufacturers on this range of Z.

IRISHGARDA
10-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I bought a 152z early this year and mow 20, 1 acre + properties every week and I love the zero maint and the quality of cut is superb. It is a very tight machine and lays some beautiful stripes. Plenty of power also, I just finished aerating lawns this week with a tow behind that weighs around 275 lbs. Anyways no problems yet.

MTR
10-03-2005, 02:39 AM
I bought a 152z early this year and mow 20, 1 acre + properties every week and I love the zero maint and the quality of cut is superb. It is a very tight machine and lays some beautiful stripes. Plenty of power also, I just finished aerating lawns this week with a tow behind that weighs around 275 lbs. Anyways no problems yet.

The cut is superb is what I like to hear...and how about hydro system? 15-50 mobil one? I look at all belts which are very thick compared to others. Have you got any chance to cut on hills? Would it hold slopes? So it is true that you don't have to ever grease the machine?

IRISHGARDA
10-03-2005, 09:39 AM
I have three yards that have very steep slopes and it holds great. when its wet you just have to go really slow or you will make it to the bottom really quick. As far as grease fittings there is one on the e brake linkage and I have not greased it yet. The hydos are nice, very responsive and plenty of power after you get used to it you can steer it one handed

MTR
10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I have three yards that have very steep slopes and it holds great. when its wet you just have to go really slow or you will make it to the bottom really quick. As far as grease fittings there is one on the e brake linkage and I have not greased it yet. The hydos are nice, very responsive and plenty of power after you get used to it you can steer it one handed

Could you snap a pic of those 3 yards how steep they are? I love to see them. (How you work them, do you start cutting from the bottom up or slowly work from the top pass by pass slowly turn to bottom, which way easier and safer?) The machine really holds my interest, the trim side is super nice and the built really pleases me, including the lay-out, oil drain, hydro filter access compared to my TTHP it is unbelieveable. Is it 15-50 mobil one for hydro fluid?

Envy Lawn Service
10-03-2005, 05:03 PM
The Gravely PM152Z is as nice of a compact 52" ZTR as you will find anywhere.

There is a lot I like about that machine and very little I dislike.
They will rank even higher when the 2006 models are released.

MTR
10-04-2005, 02:30 AM
The Gravely PM152Z is as nice of a compact 52" ZTR as you will find anywhere.

There is a lot I like about that machine and very little I dislike.
They will rank even higher when the 2006 models are released.

Yeah, Envy, I am trying to get a sweet deal by Dec...I like the deck and how it lay out. I hope it holds hill like others said.

Envy Lawn Service
10-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Nomatter what anyone says, you gotta demo one on your turf.
Turf used in the dual meaning.

Personally, I like the machine for a 52"... like the way it's set up.
I like the deck and I like the fact that it is centered on the frame.
This allows for two side trim ability with a mulch kit or OCDC.

I also like the large tires.
The 23x10.5-12 rears are larger than most compact offerings.
I also feel the taller 15" front tires are a big asset too.

As far as the setup of the machine...
I prefer it with the Kawi engine.
Don't care for the oil filter relocator on the Kohler powered ones.
I also like the tucked stance of the front forks.
Allows for better trimming and deeper drive-in on inside corners.
The breakaway control levers are nice also.
Much safer than trap-sticks.

The mower is also very nimble feeling.
Navigates very well.
It's also very quick.

Nice little mower all around.
Even nicer for 2006!

As far as the hill holding goes. I don't know. So I can't say. However, as much as I like trim ability, one of the very few things I didn't like the looks of was the narrow rear track width. They basically put the 52" deck on the 48" machine. I actually looked at swapping the tire/rim package for the deeper dish stock wheels that come on the PM160Z. Far as we could tell that was an option. But left the machine with little to no trim out past the tires. Ideally, I'd like to see some "in-between" wheel spacing on the machine.

Put it on some hills and see how it does is all I can tell you.

Between now and then, you should also check out the thread here titled something like "first cut with new Wild Cat".... A guy got a new Scag Wild Cat 25/52" and his slope performance on it looks pretty good.

MTR
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Wild cat is way out of my realm..$8600! I don't do financing, so Gravely 152 Z, 252 Z or 54" Lesco Z-two are the most likely which I will pull tricker by Dec.
I am more with Gravely cause I saw the stripe kit so easily installed on the deck and it works good, hitch, attachments, besides four dealers' support are many compared to only one main repair center of Lesco in my area but nothing is decisive yet, two 1/2 months to go before last week of Dec.

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Oh, just so you know.... the Lesco Z's come stock with an adjustable striping roller.
Their roller kit setup has a few advantages compared to other OEM roller kits.

I really like the way my Z-Two stripes as well. The thing I like most about the striping characteristics is the accent is really on being able to lay patterns well. In other words the whole deck and roller combination does not have to rely on raking or mashing the crap out of the grass in order to produce stripes. So the result is that the combo does not act like an eraser on the old pattern when you change directions. So you can lay nice visible alternating patterns. I have lawns where five overlapping patterns are visible.

But anyways, you have plenty of time left to hash out the ups and downs of all three mowers.

MTR
10-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Oh, just so you know.... the Lesco Z's come stock with an adjustable striping roller.
Their roller kit setup has a few advantages compared to other OEM roller kits.

I really like the way my Z-Two stripes as well. The thing I like most about the striping characteristics is the accent is really on being able to lay patterns well. In other words the whole deck and roller combination does not have to rely on raking or mashing the crap out of the grass in order to produce stripes. So the result is that the combo does not act like an eraser on the old pattern when you change directions. So you can lay nice visible alternating patterns. I have lawns where five overlapping patterns are visible.

But anyways, you have plenty of time left to hash out the ups and downs of all three mowers.

Thanks Envy, have you ever looked at 252 Z? It has the big 24x12x12 drive tire like Lesco 54", and engine is 25 kawi. I think last time I asked they said about $1000 more than 152z. 252z doesn't have trim side like 152z but built like tank, true tank.

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks Envy, have you ever looked at 252 Z? It has the big 24x12x12 drive tire like Lesco 54", and engine is 25 kawi. I think last time I asked they said about $1000 more than 152z. 252z doesn't have trim side like 152z but built like tank, true tank.

Yeah, I looked at one, and pretty much had the same opinion as you all the way around. I think the 60" deck is a much better fit on the 200 series. My wife went along on a few of the shopping trips and the Gravely was her favorite. She wanted me to get a PM260Z diesel.

MTR
10-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I looked at one, and pretty much had the same opinion as you all the way around. I think the 60" deck is a much better fit on the 200 series. My wife went along on a few of the shopping trips and the Gravely was her favorite. She wanted me to get a PM260Z diesel.

Talking diesel, what 's up with price??? It is like 20 plus cents more than premium unleaded here....93octane @ $3.05, diesel @ $ 3.25....the most expensive fuel at the pump!
I still undecided between the 152z & 252z...only time and record will tell. The 60" is out of question, cause I do have many favorite accounts that allow only a 52" deck to go through and I am hooked on 52", it is the most versatile and compact enough for my business.