PDA

View Full Version : HELP

ParksLandscaping
03-18-2001, 11:35 PM
I am wondering if you guys have any good resources (internet, etc.) in regards to nursery stock. I have done a little bit of landscape in the past, but I am not too familiar with all of the different varieties of trees and shrubs. So when I am talking to a client in regards to what we are going to put where in a landscape plan, I look stupid. I know everything except for the names and the specs, like the living coniditons (sun/shade) (wet/dry soils), and the sizes, etc. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

THANKS,

David Parks

paul
03-19-2001, 09:41 PM
Check with your local ALCA chapter, If I remember right U of M has a pretty good web site on plants. just don't have it on this computer :(

swing blade
03-20-2001, 10:16 PM
try the american horticulture society website. I have a set of plant encyclopedias from them that are old, but are still very accurate, and have exactly what you are looking for in them. Good luck.

Milo

neighborguy
03-23-2001, 05:40 PM
I recently graduated from a technical school with a degree in landscape/horticulture. They have at least 5 classes that concentrate on plant identification. The book used for trees and shrubs (includes many cultivars) is "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" By Michael A. Dirr. The book is huge and contains extensive information that borders on too much. For our herbaceous plant classes (annuals, perennials, bulbs, grasses, etc.) we used "Manual of Herbaceous Ornamental Plants" by Steven M. Still. Another book that contains an obscene amount of information. I refer to both on almost every design that I do. Hope they are helpful to you.

paul
03-23-2001, 05:43 PM
ParksLandscaping try this one on line http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/masterzz.html

bam
03-23-2001, 07:56 PM
Ditto.

University of Delaware professors used:

Manual of Woody Landscape Plants By Michael A. Dirr.
Manual of Herbaceous Ornamental Plants by Steven M. Still.

They are excellent resources, and I still utilize them.