PDA

View Full Version : Question: Difficult Bid

MOturkey
10-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I was asked to bid on a property whose current LCO quit. I went and looked at it this evening. It is a quarter mile plus of gravel road, or rather the right-of-way on both sides, and in many places, a strip down the middle. The grassy areas vary in width widely, from maybe 10 feet in spots, to 30 feet in others. Also have the area around the house, but it isn't much of a yard, as the house sets in the timber. The terrain is pretty rocky, so I can't rev the old Gravely up nearly as much as on a regular yard.

My question is this: Have you ever been faced with a property that was almost impossible to figure the time before mowing, and if you were, did you give a one-time mowing price, subject to change for a regular bid, or perhaps charge an hourly rate the first cutting, with a firm bid to follow? I am thinking of doing one or the other, as I suspect this will take more time than the square footage of grass would normally indicate. Additionally, it is 15 miles out of my way, but the owner insisted that was no problem, he understood I would have to charge more for travel.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Neill

DLS1
10-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes give him a one time mowing for a set fee. Just let him know sometimes it is to hard to estimate and is is best to do the one time mow so you can determine how long it takes for you. That way if he likes your new estimate after the first mow and you know how much time it takes to mow then it is a win-win for both of you.