PDA

View Full Version : Lawnboy self propelled gear box parts?

watatrp
10-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I have a Lawnboy self propelled push mower approximately 8 years old. My self propelled feature started making some noises last week while it was engaged in self propelled. I figured it was either a bad belt or gear. It finally went out and last weekend I was able to take the gear box apart. One of the gears that transfers power to the wheels has a portion where the teeth are worn and that seems to be the problem. Here's my question. Does anyone know if replacement gears are available or if I have to buy a new gear box?

Restrorob
10-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Lawnboy is owned by Toro company you can check below.
https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/default.cfm

Roger
10-03-2005, 10:11 AM
I have not had a gear go bad in the transmission, but rather the bronze bushings that support the drive shafts going to the wheels. The rounded out bushings permitted the drive shaft to drop down, not permitting the gears to engage deeply enough to drive. The bushings were a simple part the dealer had in stock. I have also replaced the pinion gear and upper bearing. The pinion wore out, the bearing was OK, but decided to replace when I had it all apart. A couple of years ago a new transmssion was $175. Undoubtedly, it is more money now.

If the dealer doesn't have the gear, try a online supplier (if your schedule is tight). The transmission comes apart easily -- ah, ha - the trick is to get it back together right!