PDA

View Full Version : Maintain it or it might catch on fire

6'7 330
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I was at the dealer today, and a fellow came in with a mower,he had let so much dry grass build up around the spindle and belt area, it had caught on fire. The belts were burned, and I wonder if the fire damaged the spindles. He also had run the machine without the cover on the mower deck. It canít believe somebody as stupid as this guy :dizzy:

You guys be sure to keep the mower deck clean of dry grass, and the deck lids on, you might caught on fire LOL.

MTR
10-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I was at the dealer today, and a fellow came in with a mower,he had let so much dry grass build up around the spindle and belt area, it had caught on fire. The belts were burned, and I wonder if the fire damaged the spindles. He also had run the machine without the cover on the mower deck. It canít believe somebody as stupid as this guy :dizzy:

You guys be sure to keep the mower deck clean of dry grass, and the deck lids on, you might caught on fire LOL.

It is called negligence and laziness. There are a bunch of them doing that around here and the lawns they cut look like how you cut your own hair! People are too lazy to clean up underdeck at least once a week or every shift, all they do is backing up in to storage unit and left after each shift. Go figure.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I try to keep mine blown off with an air compressor, works better than water

Texas Mower Parts
10-03-2005, 05:37 PM
See them everyday!

cmk144
10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
My Dixie Chopper has fan blades mounted on the spindles that keep the deck clean for me- even in wet grass!

wowlawncare
10-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Yes dixie chopper has this down nice. I can mow leaves adn they will be blowing everywhere and when I get off not a bit of grass or leaves under the deck. Dixie also claims that it keeps the belts runnign cooler. Which I can see. Bravo Dixie.

LwnmwrMan22
10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Um.... I always have the lids off.

I'll blow the grass off once in a while.

It's worse in the fall when you're bagging leaves. The dry leaves will get built up, may catch on fire.

I'd worry more about that, than the grass building up around the spindles.

DBL
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
hes lucky he didnt blow himself up

DLCS
10-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Keep the spindle covers off so that you can blow them off easier at the end of the day. With the spindle covers on you can't blow them off with the back pack blower as easily.

6'7 330
10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
hes lucky he didnt blow himself up

Excellent point, the dealer said it was walkbehind, and by the looks of it the mower deck had grass piled up high. By all outward appearences, the grass had not been blown off the mower deck all season,if not longer.

LCOís who haphazardly maintain machines so poorly are idiots of the industry.

lawnmaniac883
10-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Redmax 8000baby, no grass survives on that deck :waving:

wowlawncare
10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Id talk to a dixie chopper dealer and see about ordering some of thier fan blades and see if they would work on any mower. They are a great idea and should work on anything as long as they dont hit your belts. And grass problem solved. I believe they are only around $14 a peice. Alot cheaper then letting your mower catch on fire.

olderthandirt
10-03-2005, 11:22 PM
LCOís who haphazardly maintain machines so poorly are idiots of the industry.
Or just plain lazy?

6'7 330
10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Or just plain lazy?

One and the same, to be lazy involving maintenance of a machine that affects ones living, is being a idiot.

olderthandirt
10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
One and the same, to be lazy involving maintenance of a machine that affects ones living, is being a idiot.
Can't argue that point Bill, but seen a lot of idiots behind clean machines :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: