PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy Meg-mo off Ebay!!!!

KathysLGC
10-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I was surfing the exmark section of ebay when I came across a set of Meg-Mos for my Lazer Z. I quickly put a bid in of $150. I ended up winning and shipping was $25..... Total so far $175.

When i get them the blades where all very dull and many where no good due to the rounded edges. Seems some one didn't know how to use a hand grinder.... I had to remove the blades in order to sharpen them when I noticed one of the disks badly bent...

Now I was heated so i called Meg-mo to see about buying a replacement but was told I should be able to bend the disk back to near perfect flatness so I'll try that tonight. I ordered all new blades and fasteners for about $65 with shipping.

This set off ebay cost me more then a new set from Meg-Mo!!!!!! :angry: Hopefully I can get the disk back in shape so I won't get even more pissed about it.
Moral of the story,.. get your megmos from Meg-Mo. I'll take a few pics before I attempt to straighten the disk out so you can see what I mean by having a bent disk. It appears the person hit a rock or curb hard while going fast which obviously made the blade go back but the forward movement of the mower must of bent the disk upward.

TLS
10-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Let us know how you like them....

Not many are happy with them on eXmarks.

The Captain
10-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Playboy.....were the blades described as "used"? If not or if you think (sounds like you did) get ripped off, contact Ebay. They may make the seller refund your money or ban them from further sales. Raise a little (a big stink!) stink. Check it out. It's worth a shot for that kind of cash.

Second thought....did you pay with a credit card? If so contact the card company and claim fraud, which I think it was. Request a back charge to the payee and a refund to your account. (and either way, I'd probably keep the blades for all the problems.)

Jim

DLCS
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Just lay them on the concrete and smack them with a sledge hammer. The discs are easily bent and straitened. ;) Actually you don't even need a sledge, just a mallet.

olderthandirt
10-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Moral of the story,.. get your megmos from Meg-Mo.
Ebay the worlds biggest garage sale, mostly people selling crap they don't want

Soupy
10-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Moral of the story,.. get your megmos from Meg-Mo.
Ebay the worlds biggest garage sale, mostly people selling crap they don't want

Mac, I disagree with your statement. I purchase many things off Ebay. Just this past week I have purchased new headlights for my Chevy 2500, and one of those Mosquito mega catchers. I have bought Roundup, edger blades etc. If I want something I always check out Ebay first to see what the buy it now price is and it's usually much cheaper. The Headlights I bought are aftermarket, but exact replacements. They are $300 anywhere else, but I paid $65. The Mega Catch is $250 everywhere else and I paid $159. I also bought a new door handle for my Chrysler Sebring that would have cost me $90 from the dealer, but I got a new replacement for $18 on Ebay. You will be amazed at what is sold on Ebay which is just about everything. I bought a Dewalt drill and saved $100. I could go on and on, but my point is there is deals to be had on Ebay

I will say that you have to be educated and know what you are buying. Read all descriptions very throughly. I have never been burnt on Ebay, but I almost always buy new products only. I wouldn't trust buying anything used.

olderthandirt
10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
but I almost always buy new products only. I wouldn't trust buying anything used.
thats a little differnt than what I was talking about, you must be buying from ebay stores, as far as the door handles go though apperently the person selling them did not have a need for them, thats what I meant by "people selling crap they don't want" I bought and sold but I sold things that I had no use for and bought things that thers had no use for. Ebay has its place its just way down on my places to look

Soupy
10-04-2005, 01:38 AM
but I almost always buy new products only. I wouldn't trust buying anything used.
thats a little differnt than what I was talking about, you must be buying from ebay stores, as far as the door handles go though apperently the person selling them did not have a need for them, thats what I meant by "people selling crap they don't want" I bought and sold but I sold things that I had no use for and bought things that thers had no use for. Ebay has its place its just way down on my places to look

Yea, I agree with that.. By the way the door handle was new from a Ebay store also, but was a remanufactured part like the headlights. Just wanted to clear that up. You are right I normally shop the buy it now prices. but everything is generally (not always) new no matter if I buy it from a store, or individual. None the less, you know the saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure" :p

P.S. I shouldn't have said "I wouldn't trust buying anything used" becasue I have bought a few used items, but they were items that don't wear out with use. Like the signed Jimmie Johnson die cast race car I bought for my wife (she's a Johnson fan, the car could have been damaged and I did take a chance). What I should have said was "Be careful what you buy and make sure you read the description and ask the seller any questions to help you make an eductaed decision before buying used"

John Gamba
10-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Let us know how you like them....

Not many are happy with them on eXmarks.

They work great on the Ultracut deck. Or any deep deck

TLS
10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
John,

Your the only guy reporting satisfactory results with Meg-Mow's on a Lazer. But then, your happy with doubles on a Lazer (I am very dissatisfied). Any blade combo which puts the cutting surface lower than it is stock has never given me decent results. Entirely too much blowout and too easy to damage blades on raised curbs.

John Gamba
10-04-2005, 08:47 AM
John,

Your the only guy reporting satisfactory results with Meg-Mow's on a Lazer. But then, your happy with doubles on a Lazer (I am very dissatisfied). Any blade combo which puts the cutting surface lower than it is stock has never given me decent results. Entirely too much blowout and too easy to damage blades on raised curbs.

Maybe its the type of grass?? on the tryvantage deck the megs dont do that great in tall grass like they do on the Ultracut. i do belive the deeper the deck the better the megs work.

John

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Here's a pic of the ad...

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Yes it did say they where used but it also said 14 hours of use. It didn't say a disk was bent. The tips of the blades where bad. I can't see how with just 14 hours of use the blades needed to be sharpened that much.

I have had good success buying off ebay. I got a stripe roller for my Z for $170 shipped and it was brand new.

TLS
10-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Without looking at the knives closer, it looks as if they were sharpened before. A set used for "only 14hrs" shouldn't really have to be sharpened. Personally, if I would have seen this in a larger picture, I would have passed.

Did you get the new knives yet?

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
No not yet. I ordered them late in the day yesterday so they should go out today.
John I have the Trivantage deck but don't cut much tall grass. On yards that have a lot of top growth I try to push cutting to 5 days. We can't mulch leave here because yards get covered 4-6" deep with leaves but when they are not bad I try to mulch as much as i can. i have used doubles with good success on my Z.

John Gamba
10-04-2005, 09:21 AM
No not yet. I ordered them late in the day yesterday so they should go out today.
John I have the Trivantage deck but don't cut much tall grass. On yards that have a lot of top growth I try to push cutting to 5 days. We can't mulch leave here because yards get covered 4-6" deep with leaves but when they are not bad I try to mulch as much as i can. i have used doubles with good success on my Z.

Try to do one yard of deep leaves. Side discharge them or better yet, if you have an ocdc keep it open a little bit and it will mulch them to powder. Go over them first backward.
John

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Are you saying you have mulched 4-6" of leaves with no problem? Wouldn't that mat down the grass? I would think that many leave would leave the lawn looking bad with 1/2-1" layer of mulched leaves.
Don't get me wrong I will try it but at my place first.

John Gamba
10-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Are you saying you have mulched 4-6" of leaves with no problem? Wouldn't that mat down the grass? I would think that many leave would leave the lawn looking bad with 1/2-1" layer of mulched leaves.
Don't get me wrong I will try it but at my place first.

I have a friend and thats all he does with a turf tracer he bought from me with the mog-mos. He goes over them two or three times and thats it. He has done this for two years. i see no problems at all the next year on his accounts.

I go over them back wards twice then bag them. They will suck up wet leaves too. Try it both ways. the problem here is when the grass stops growing its hard to hide them even if there ground to powder. If you have an area thats thicker just blow them around. I will say the lawns look better the next spring.
John

PS if you go over them once and then bag them, theres a big difference in the amount you can bag.

TClawn
10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
there is no way those blade have only 14 hours on them, unless he was running them over the beach all morning. maybe he ment 140, that is realistic in sandy conditions.

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 02:46 PM
That's what i said when I opened them up.... Here is the other pic

TLS
10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
And the person you bought them from.....Not a member here?

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I was going to go through Pay Pal and get my money back but I would of had to pay to ship them back, when through all the hassle and still order from Meg-Mo. I just said F-it and kept them, ordered the replacement blades from Meg-Mo. You won't see me buying used blades of any kind off ebay agian. Now I have ordered brand new Oregon Gator blades off an ebay store with no problems so I will still use ebay. I just need to be more careful.

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
And the person you bought them from.....Not a member here?

Not sure. I doubt it. I didn't ask.

I was able to get $30 refunded from the seller to cover the cost of the disk....

TLS
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Not sure. I doubt it. I didn't ask.

I was able to get $30 refunded from the seller to cover the cost of the disk....

I would research it. Search for Meg-Mo's and see who was disatisfied with them. Then look at their location.

At least he worked with you on the $30 part.

The Captain
10-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Playboy,

Don't forget to post your "FEEDBACK" about the seller/product....

Jim