PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall bid

CleanCutLawns
10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
One of my customers has asked me to give him a bid to extend his driveway over seven feet into the side of the hill and put a retaining wall up. The wall will be 58 feet long and 3 feet high. I will be prepping the job for him which means knocking out existing one foot high retaining wall, renting a bobcat for $235 (one day) excavating the side of the hill seven feet over, dumping the dirt, dropping down existing sprinkler valves and pipe below the ground placing a valve box over them and leveling out dirt for new concrete driveway addition.

I plan on giving him an estimate of $2500 for the prep work and finding someone else to do the wall and driveway for an additional price.

Is this a fair price??

DVS Hardscaper
10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
"Fair" for who?

Only you *will* know if it is fair or not :) there are so many variables when it comes to walls. As, if it weren't for VARIABLES....a wall would not be needed :D

Base your price on estimated production hrs. And equipment rental. And materials.

Track your time. And when finished, divide the Agreement Amount by your actual hrs, and then you'll know if you priced too low or not.

Also, I see you mentioned "side of hill". keep in mind, even though you're talkin 3' high wall, geo-grid may still be needed. The four-foot rule is for PERFECT conditions. Now, i aint seen your scenerio, so maybe it is "perfect conditions". Any run off water or soil surcharges can make a 3-foot wall collapse. Just food for thought for ya :)

PAPS Landscape Design
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
As DVS noted... I would 100% use geogrid for that walll. There will be vehicular traffic above it, gotta have that grid, even at 3.0 ft.

mbella
10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Cleancut, pass on this job. Maybe, do the tear out of the existing wall, but I think you should tell your customer to find a contractor for the construction of his new wall.

What do you know about building a wall like the proposed wall? If you sub it out, how will you know if it's being properly installed? If you sub it, you will be accountable if there is a problem.

BTW, I can't comment on your price because you didn't give any info. on the existing wall except for the fact that it is one foot tall. Also, I don't know your operating costs.

CleanCutLawns
10-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. Seems like I will not be doing this job after all. I just got in a motorcycle wreck and dislocated my hip and sprained my ankle. Thank God that is all that happened

Grass Busters Inc.
10-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Holy SMOKES :eek: Hope you are ok :confused:

UNISCAPER
10-09-2005, 08:19 PM
How far away from Encinitas is this work? We have the equipment and manpower to handle it for your client and if it works out, I would be willing to pay you a referal fee.

There are two issues that need to be dealt with. Knowing full well what soils we have here, and the demographics of the California tract house environments, this is a little more tricky than throwing up a wall. It sounds from your description that the toe of the wall will be next to a new or extended driveway. It also sounds like you are removing a 2-1 slope, and there is a wall there presently. The underlying problem is that you have the surcharge of a neighboring house and you are going to need the room to install Strata-Grid to support a segmental wall. This project sounds like a good candidate for a CMU wall, unless you have 4' of so of space in back of the wall. $2,500.00 to make the cuts and truck spoils is a good price for the homeowner. By the time you figure hauling and the cost per load to dump, and the rental fee of the Skidsteer, you aren't going to have alot of green on the table.
We can also pour and finish his driveway and if this is like many of the other tract style environments, the work in those dimensions is going to push into a $20,000.00 plus mark.

Removal of the old wall might also be a bit tricky. Walls are put up in tracts to retain soils, and should the house next to where you are working move, and it was you who molested the original bank, guess what? You get to bear the brunt of the burden when the insurance companies lawyers start pointing fingers.

Good luck on your bike wreck recovery. I hope you aren't one of those goof balls who rides 120MPH around the turns on Palomar Mountain...Those guys are nuts!

CleanCutLawns
10-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Uniscaper Moreno Valley is about 70 miles northeast of Oceanside off of the 215/60 freeways.
I gave the owner the bid for $2500 (for the prep work) like I said and he thought it was kind of steep and would talk to his wife, so I left it at that. If he asks again and you want to take a trip out here I can set it up. He has the money and lives in a custom home area (definitly not tract homes). If I have any other customers that want any landscaping that I am not able to do I can refer them to you if you are willing to travel out this way.

I am not one of those banzai crotch rocket riders doing a wheelie at 110 mph down the freeway in traffic:blob3: . I had a 99' HD FXDX until that guy made a left turn in front of me and I hit him at 40 mph. I think bike is totaled will find out this week. If it is I will be getting one of the new HD Street Glides.

UNISCAPER
10-12-2005, 09:03 AM
79 miles away, unles the job is over $300,000.00, it would not pencil out for us to go. But thank you anyway.
Now I'm bummed, a Harley went down. Haven't had a bike newer than 1955 myself, a hobby I took with when I moved from the midwest, that is restoring antique HD iron. Good luck on the road to speedy recovery.

CleanCutLawns
10-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Uniscaper I know that you know that knuckles are for more than fighting, pans are not only used in the kitchen. Shovels are not only for use in landscaping (although they work better when buried). Don't be disillusioned with the troublehead, the factory has improved its design over the years through countless millions that have been thrown at it for t-shirts and bumper stickers, coffee mugs and custom toilet seat covers and anything else you can put a logo on. They evolved to the evolution (good) and now to the Blockhead (better) with a stock six speed tranny even. I love the old iron but I love the old highway better. I put away my big tool roll that was strapped to the front of my 18 inch apes on my 75' troublehead long ago and got one with a warranty that bled and puffed less. Now I can do those 800 mile rides to Oregon in 10 hours, four gas stops and no zip ties later. And my ass ain't sore either.:D

Send some pics of the old Tin I would love to check them out. One of my brothers has a 37 Knuck. Also want to give you an invite to a Christmas dance we throw in Westminister (By Huntington Beach) at the Elks Lodge. For more info go to www.nuggetsmc.com

UNISCAPER
10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Sounds like fun Clean Cut!

An a '37 knucklehead? Wholeyschmitski, I have a '47! I'm on the hunt for a 4 cylinder inline shaft drive Indian, but, they are bringing serious cash!

Thanks for the invite man, I'll have to set it in my calander!