PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mower Storage

DaveRave07
10-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Being my first year in business and also being from upstate NY I have some questions about winter storage. Now that the season is winding down I am looking to clear a spot in the garage for my Viking 48" for winter storage. My question is is there any problem keeping this mower in an unheated garage over the winter in a pretty cold area. Thanks for the help.

stevesmowing
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
not that I know of. I have stored a encore 48" belt drive w/b and a hustler super z ztr in an unheated garage.

gman44
10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I keep all my equipment in an unheated building during the winter. I like to put wood under tires if the machine is sitting on cement floor . Tires seem to be protected somewhat from moisture this way . Im in the northeast also .

lawnmaniac883
10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Make sure you drain the gas out and run the engine till it dies to be sure there aint no gas in the carb.

General Grounds
10-03-2005, 10:59 PM
:) fill the tanks up and add stabil run the engine for 5-10 min, you'll be able to smeel the stabil burning (smells like stale fuel) then shut the gas off and let engine run out of fuel. being from such a cold climate a empty tank will accumulate condensation those spoiling your first fill up of the year and problem a rough runnin engine. tony

HighGrass
10-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I would pull the battery and store it in a cool dry place.

Jason Rose
10-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Ditto on what General Grounds said..

I know gas is expensive this year so topping off the tanks to leave them sit seems silly but it's the best way to go... Condensation in a half filled tank can account for a lot of water in that fuel come springtime!

Also I have a can of Engine Fogger put out by Stabil as well. For you being in the north your equipment is going to be sitting for at least 4 months. May not be a bad idea to pull the plugs and give a shot of fog in the cylinder as well.

I Stabil everything for the winter, but I still prefer to just fire everything up every 2 or 3 weeks over winter and let it run at half throttle for a while. Keeps the batteries alive better and keeps oil on all the internal parts in the engines (condensation happens in engines too and causes rust).

*edit* I just thought... Running the tank empty and running the carb. dry is ok and all, but I used to do this and found that the seals and diaphrams in the carb. dry out and then can crack or split. Not to mention it's always harder to get them started again come spring. This is more problem with older equipment. Newer stuff shouldn't be much an issue.

If you can't start them ever few weeks, then I also reccomend pulling the batteries and storing them indoors somewhere temperate.

sledhead
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
We store our snowmobiles 8-9 months out of the year,we store our boats the same way. Sta-bil the gas and top it off. Don't run out the carb thats the whole reason for sta-bil. The spray is good, shoot it down the cylinder the plus throat of the carb run it till it chokes out. Don't start your mower weekly or monthly don't start it at all. Doing this washes the fogging oil off the cylinder walls. Pull the battery and store it off the concrete. Cold concrete will suck the juice right out of a battery.

mcwlandscaping
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Have two shed type things that i store all my equipment it. I drain all the gas and run till it dies. With the storage, it is very cold in there but i haven't had any problems. I wish i had the money for a garage or big shed for my equipment.

Itsgottobegreen
10-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I see alot of guys just leave stuff out side over winter on the trailer with just a tarp covering them. 1' of snow on a lazer is funny. Mine are kept in the enclosed trailer all winter long. With a full tank of fuel. I like to run them once every two weeks.