PDA

View Full Version : G'day from an Aussie Gardener and Mower

GREENGAR
10-04-2005, 04:32 AM
I came upon Lawnsite.com while in Tanaka website, I thought it would be interesting comparing lawn and garden care in the US compared to Australia.
I've been in the industry for 19 years, am self employed and very busy.
I do a lot of quality garden work, topiary, hedging etc and lawn mowing. The climate in Perth is great, similar to California I think, winters are mild and summer hot, I don't get a lot of down days due to bad weather, the demand for my services and others like me is strong, I haven't needed to advertise since the initial year I started the business.
I have a 26" commercial reel mower, 21'' slasher mower, edger, Kawasaki brushcutter, 2 Tanaka 26'' hedge trimmers and a Tanaka pole trimmer with 60cm extension for high work, Echo blower, Echo vacuum machine, spreaders, sprayers and all of the hand tools etc to help with the jobs at hand.
I love the lifestyle of the job, being outdoors and your own boss, if I strike a difficult customer I give them the boot, life's too short to put up with the sort a thing.

Mickhippy
10-04-2005, 04:52 AM
G'day mate. Im on the other side on the Gold Coast. Been hot and very dry here lately.
There are a couple of Aussie guys on this site, they may drop in if they get time.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Just dont talk American politics or bash Bush and you'll get on fine! hehe

Tonyr
10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Welcome from me at Hervey Bay, Queensland too mate!

Hows it hangin' Mick?

Mickhippy
10-05-2005, 04:03 AM
There hangin Loooooooooooooow! hehe

Need some bloody rain!

Tonyr
10-05-2005, 05:52 AM
dry as here too mate, scary.....

severest restrictions I've seen on water use in my time here.

hense....not clocking up a lot of hours on the deere, flip side is, it ain't over heating! :D :D

PurpHaze
10-05-2005, 08:44 AM
The climate in Perth is great, similar to California I think, winters are mild and summer hot, ...

Since "G'day Mate" has already been taken by your fellow countrymen I'll just say "Welcome Dude." :D

Saying that your weather is a lot like California isn't saying it all. We have several distinct climate zones here; everything from pure outback to barrier reef. Not everything grows everywhere. :cool2:

palm boy
10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
welcome mate! nice to hear from Perth. My wife and I visited Perth last summer. We stayed in Kalamunda w/ her cousins family. It was my first trip to Australia and my wife's first time back since she was 10 yrs old- 23 yrs ago. I loved it and plan to go back. Got to meet alot of neat people from all walks of life. I was there for two weeks while my wife and her grandmother stayed for a month. Next year it looks like her family will be coming here to visit us. Anyways, take care for now and welcome again!

GREENGAR
10-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Palmboy, glad you liked WA. It's been really wet this week, I've been dodging showers trying to keep on shedule, its spring here and everything is starting to grow so I am going into summer mode from now on. I've been fertilising lawns and mulching gardens, planting spring annuals etc.

GREENGAR
10-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Nice to hear from you 'dude' just to make you feel good, it's been raining all night here and it's going to be messy mowing lawns today.

Tonyr
10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
it's been raining all night here and it's going to be messy mowing lawns today.

yeah...good on ya...rub it in!

so dry here, scary, buggerall to cut except weeds....thats if the dust doesn't choke ya first ha ha ha

Mickhippy
10-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Top it off with 37'+ today! Lucky, its a DRY heat! hehe?

Not a drop of rain in sight!

GREENGAR
10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I've just visited Floriade in Canberra the taxi driver who took me from the airport said that he was mowing his lawn for the first time in 8 years due to the drought they have had. Perth has had its best winter rain for years but our dams are only 36 percent full and a growing population putting pressure on it.
The wholesale nurseries are stocking a lot of drought tolerant plants and grasses now and garden trends are changing to this style gradually.