PDA

View Full Version : Do you need reliable employees?

Sean Adams
10-04-2005, 08:07 AM
We would like to welcome a new sponsor to the LawnSite.com Community - Marcus Drake Consultants.

Do you need reliable, experienced, personnel with a can-do attitude? Are you seeking any of the following:

Green Industry Workers
Golf Course Personnel
Irrigation Personnel
Grounds Maintanance Men
Crew Leaders
Landscape Construction
Tree Guys
Chemincal Workers
Grounds Keepers

Marcus Drake Consultants is a family business, located in Northern New Jersey but servicing the entire USA. They are a member of leading trade organizations. They advertise in many trade magazines and are present at most of the trade shows across the USA.

They handle the entire procedure in strict compliance with government regulations. They are with you every step of the way. This procedure is involved, but we make it simple. Their staff/lawyers assist with:

- completing forms
- help with statistical analysis for Dept. of Labor
- compose the necessary ads
- Deal with the government agencies
- Follow up...some steps are time sensitive
- Recruit
- Assist at consulate
- Assist with travel and personnel advocate

You can check out their web site at www.marcusdrakeconsultants.com, take a look at their forum on the site, or click on their banner or button at the top of the site.

You can also reach them direct at 1-888-544-9122.

ed2hess
10-23-2005, 09:01 PM
So has anyone on lawn site have any experience with this company? Trusting companies to get workers is a pretty big deal for us mid size companies. The cost is getting greater each year and the results are mixed. Can't tell when gov is at fault and when company is at fault for not processing and getting workers.

Marcus Drake Consultants
11-04-2005, 10:06 PM
We would be pleased to furnish references upon request

kris
02-25-2006, 09:25 PM
We found a guy that will supply us in Canada ...is there a reason you can't?

kris
02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
alrighty then...thanks anyway:waving:

Sean Adams
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I know the people from Marcus Drake are good about getting back to people, but be patient...they spend a lot of time travelling out of the country as you might imagine...I'm sure they will get back to you.

firefightergw
03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
alrighty then...thanks anyway:waving:

It looks like the folks from Marcus Drake are back. They made a post on another thread today. I guess they missed your post. I haven't seen any documentation at all on here from them anytime it has been requested.:jester:

kris
03-05-2006, 08:02 PM
It looks like the folks from Marcus Drake are back. They made a post on another thread today. I guess they missed your post. I haven't seen any documentation at all on here from them anytime it has been requested.:jester:

Thats ok ...he told me once before he couldn't help us in Canada...was just wondering if that had changed . We are trying two guys out this season and if all goes well many more next.

Marcus Drake Consultants
04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I advised previously that we handle the H2B visas. This is to supply workers for the USA only it is not a Canadian program. I am sorry we cannot help you there.
I am answering from Guatemala where we just finished processing 6 companies a total of 75 workers for the USA. There are many very qualified people here, I hope more members take advantage of our services in the future to get great workers. We have offices in Mexico, Guatemala, Coasta Rica, El Salvador, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic. We also process for Ecuador and other locations as needed.

jirrigation
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
We found a guy that will supply us in Canada ...is there a reason you can't?

Is this a company you've found that supplies employees kris? I'm having a hard time finding reliable workers in the montreal-west area.

Scott Johnson
Johnson Irrigation
www.johnsonirrigation.com

anthonyr
12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm looking to hire 1 to 2 persons for the upcoming 2007 season, it's hard to find good employees here in montana!

casco73
12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
with this type of out of country hiring do you buy the visas ?and would you need to give thm housing?

Marcus Drake Consultants
12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
No the visas are not for sale. We help the companies sponsor the workers. It is up to the foreign consulate to issue the guest worker visas. Please take a look at our web site for further info or call our office. We will be pleased to answer any questions.

ed2hess
02-23-2007, 09:47 PM
This H2B program may be getting better two of our returning guys came right across today. It was all prescheduled for interviews by both contries but didn't go smooth last year. Last year there was big delays in processing resulting in guys not getting over until April.

casco73
08-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Can you even get workers from Italy or any other countries??

cochino12
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
email sent, thanks

junior091273
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Rent -a -Guat ...gotta love it

soloscaperman
10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Great way to make our economy worse.

casco73
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
That's how I feel we need to keep the money here. All they do when you hire from other countries is send there money back to their country and here we are suffering. Has anyone learned a lesson yet? Hire here keep it here!$$$
End the war let them take care of their own problems and stop spending money on other countries!!!:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:
:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

melanieb3
10-07-2008, 03:39 PM
It would be nice to keep the money here, if the people here deserved it! It's hard these days to find people to work and keep working. In this area, they will work for a week or two and then never come back after payday. This is also true in this area for roofing/siding/construction. so, most of the workers here doing lawncare/construction are indeed Mexican, wether they live here or are here on Visas. We're getting visas for our guys to come here and work for us. Of course, for me, it's extended family we're getting so it's someone we know we can trust. I am using MasLabor INC. it's pretty pricy though. this is our first year getting the visas for our guys, but most of them have been here before working for other people. Hope it works out well!

dura to the max
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=248260

your absolutely right melanie. check out this other thread on employees.

CanadianLandscaper
12-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Is this a company you've found that supplies employees kris? I'm having a hard time finding reliable workers in the montreal-west area.

Scott Johnson
Johnson Irrigation
www.johnsonirrigation.com

Are you still around Scott?

sdk1959
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
For those lawn companies and others who hire illegal Mexican immigrants.

Did you know the reason they work so hard is that the Mexican equivalent pay your paying them is $50-$60 an hour is what it will buy in Mexico. 1 American dollar = 13 pesos.

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Put an ad in the paper for workers starting at $50.00 an hour and see how many Americans line up and circle your building to apply. See how hard they would work.

Or tell your Mexican help you'll start paying them the equivalent of $10-$12 hour in Mexico which is about $2.00 an hour here and see how how many walk off the job.

Mexicans cross the desert for $10-$12.00 an hour? Don't think so. $50-$60 an hour yeah!

I had tree work done in 2006 and got talking to one of the Mexican workers. He was only about 25 and owned 2 houses in Mexico from the money he sends back there that he earns here. A $250,000 house here he told me is only $50,000 in Mexico. Small wonder why they are so eager to work here.

Start paying $50-$60 an hour for lawn work and you'll see how hard Americans work or start paying your Mexican help $2.00 an hour and see how hard they don't work, if at all. :usflag:

CanadianLandscaper
12-18-2008, 08:22 AM
SDK ... We don't hire illegal but do hire legal. What exactly is the point you are trying to make? Yes the workers we hire from Mexico look at their job as hitting the lottery., Yes they are able to buy homes and furnish them. Yes they are able to provide for wives, kids, parents etc. Yes they show respect,show up and work hard most days. There are many jobs you can make 50 dollars an hour or be a owner and perhaps make much more.
If guys from here don't want to show up and work hard for 15,16,17,18 dollars an hour for a labourer then thats fine (and yes we pay the mexicans labourers the same as Canadians) I am not complaining. But dont you complain when I bring in half of the 25 guys I need this season from another country. I only do what is necessary at this time. Perhaps it will change when the economy gets bad enough that kids here actually appreciate a job for 16 /hr.

sdk1959
12-19-2008, 04:26 PM
My point is I'm tired of business owners trashing the American work ethic and American workers in general when they aren't paying them equivilent pay. Pay your Mexican workers $2.00 an hour or start hiring Americans or in your case Canadians at $50.00 and THEN make a comparison.

Every dollar that is earned in our respective countries and sent abroad is a dollar OUT of our economy and our tax base. Who makes up the the shortfall in taxes- the rest of us, and we are tired of it. Your just looking at your own personal profit margins for your business and how hard you can push your foreign workers for more productivity and not the big picture.

Why don't you want to hire college kids full time during the late spring and summer and who would be able to build up your accounts because they can actually speak clear english to inquiring neighbors? And what about responsible hard working adults who work full-time elsewhere for part-time work that are available in the afternoons and weekends?

In the past college kids used to be able to work for landscapers and lawn service companies all the time, every spring there were dozens of ads in the papers for help. No more, it's all about greed and poor business management.

Now with some types of jobs such as tree climbers for tree service companies it is very hard to find local guys to risk their necks but for general landscaping and lawn service work? Come on, your not trying or you expect $50-$60 hour's worth of work but paying $12-16 an hour.

There are local lawn service companies and landscapers that hire locals and still make a profit and grow and retain customers because they can speak english to them.

There was a illegal Mexican worker here in my hometown of Bensalem PA that recently killed a bartender and almost got his co-worker by ramming his BOSSE'S TRUCK into them standing outside the bar. He got flagged and got pissed off. The guy lived here illegally for 6 years and had no drivers license. This gives people a clue on how poorly landscapers who hire illegals and legal foreigners run their businesses. Look up the story on the internet.

Now you can complain that it would kill your huge profit margins and you would have to raise your prices, tough, that's the real UNSUBSIDZED world without cheap labor to exploit. Get used to it because in the years ahead Mexico's standard of living will go up along with wages and public backlash against hiring them will only grow with this economy.

CanadianLandscaper
12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
There are economic benefits accruing to Canada by fulfilling a legitimate need of the Canadian labour market.
Employers Need to Have A Foreign Worker Strategy... Baby boomers are retiring in record numbers..SUBSIDIZED??? Hardly! It is an expensive strategy. Employers have to bear a number of costs including recruitment expenses, travel, and, in the case of low skilled workers, employers are required to arrange accommodation for them. Employers have to weigh the costs of hiring TFWs against the costs of continuing to look for workers in Canada and possibly having to turn down business as a result of labour shortages. It's not about greed or poor business practice SDK.. In fact...quite the opposite.

sdk1959
12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
then why do you do it? Hire Canadians. With all the costs you stated for hiring foreign workers even hiring Canadians thru a temp agency might be cheaper.

Run a help-wanted ad in the paper, call some schools and colleges, post a internet ad on Monster or Carreer Builder, do something positive for your country, community, and hire local help.

It takes less effort to hire locally then all the costs and hoops you have to go thru hiring foreign workers. :canadaflag:

CanadianLandscaper
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
..there is a legitimate need to hire foreign workers. I don't think you are aware of the situation that businesses in Alberta have been up against. With unemployment rates of less than 3% the past few years it means that basically anyone who wants to work In Alberta is working. Business have been FORCED TO CLOSE because of lack of labour. I do all of the things you mentioned plus some , including flying to different parts of Canada to recruit for us.
I wont take your comments personally because you really have no idea what you are talking about when you say things like "do something positive for your country, community, and hire local help." We have been in business over 40 yrs and believe me when I say we are well respected and do more than our fair share in the community.
Have a Merry Christmas SDK .. if you need a job just give me a holler:canadaflag:

sdk1959
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I didn't know you had a labor shortage, I stand corrected. Here in the U.S. unemployment runs up to 11% in some states and counties. Lucky & glad I'm working.

Hope you had a great Christmas. Have a Happy New Year & good luck with your business in 2009. :)