PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the season to end!!!

spcfoor
10-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Anybody else ready for the mowing season to end and start with leaves and other fall projects?

brinlee lawn
10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I am ready for a change as well.

lampeslawnservice
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Would prefer to skip leaves all together. It's alway's dirty, dusty, wet, cold...but the money is good.

neversatisfiedj
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
How do you price commercial leaf removal ?

Up North
10-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Snow is in our forecast here for tomorrow, so whether I'm ready or not my season's coming to an end in the next couple weeks. Blow some leaves around and do the final mowings for the season and bingo...I'll be sitting in my deerstand for the next few weeks! :blob3:

Buck

olderthandirt
10-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Snow is in our forecast here for tomorrow, so whether I'm ready or not my season's coming to an end in the next couple weeks

Kinda sums it up and puts it into perspective Buck. Thanks

grass_cuttin_fool
10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
The grass season was basically over 3 weeks ago here in southern va with the drought. There is some rain in the forecast the next few days but even with that i see maybe 1or 2 more cuts max this year. I guess leaf season is the next big thing for 2005, but Im not looking forward to them as dry and dusty as it is.I may be in the market for the job as a greeter at Walmart thes winter or at the hospital working as an EMT

Jason Rose
10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I'd much prefer to mow on a nice stady schedule year round, no extra crap, no huge weather changes, no LEAVES. Sure it gets boring doing the same thing on the same lawns week after week but having it that way makes the days fly by. Heck I start on monday and blink twice and it's Thursday... Some days I even have to check my schedule and my watch to make sure I'm working the right day since things are going so fast!

Things are slowing here cutting wise. I sitll have a couple lawns to overseed and fert to apply to some as well. Winds a blowing today so no go for that stuff. GOt done cutting at 1:00 and have been revamping my mailbox. Currently waiting for a coat of paint to dry on the box so I can hit 'er again.

proenterprises
10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I do enjoy the cutting season, I will be sad to see it go, but with the fall comes the change in seasons, it all comes with good.

alwaysgreener
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
The grass is growing crazy now so my crews are happy as ever lots of OT.. Landscaping has picked way up, so that crew is happy so let the season keep on going.... :rolleyes:

T.E.
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm ready for a good freeze, hopefully by the end of the month. Then I'm going to take two weeks off to just relax.

logan
10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Still plugging along down here. I am still cutting off about 2inches of grass every week on most of my properties. I can't complain though, the bills get paid. I am looking forward to December when the grass has really slowed down.

lawnchopper
10-05-2005, 09:27 AM
im ready, although i dont want winter to come any faster the future flys by fast enought I really dont like cleanups the fall cleanup arnt so bad temps are cooler. Im sick of mowing especially since we been short staffed and have fought so much rain.

fga
10-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Snow is in our forecast here for tomorrow, so whether I'm ready or not my season's coming to an end in the next couple weeks. Blow some leaves around and do the final mowings for the season and bingo...I'll be sitting in my deerstand for the next few weeks! :blob3:

Buck
buck,
isn't it early for snow, even for you up there? i remember we got a small storm in the middle of doing leaves last year, and i had to wait a bout a week for it to melt to finish up. is that what you have to do, or do you pack it up til spring?

kevinsky
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
We keep busy mowing through October. We thatch and aerate all of our accounts in November and get all accounts cleaned up by Christmas. Then we take off for a while. But yes, I am looking forward to wrapping up this season and heading to Maui!

LwnmwrMan22
10-05-2005, 09:59 AM
buck,
isn't it early for snow, even for you up there? i remember we got a small storm in the middle of doing leaves last year, and i had to wait a bout a week for it to melt to finish up. is that what you have to do, or do you pack it up til spring?

yeah buck, did you see any of the snow??

Most of my properties got between 4 and 10" of rain yesterday. Needless to say, the ones that didn't get done last week are going to be REAL wet.

I've been watching the radar all morning, but it looks like the rain is going to stick around til noon, then just cloudy and cool. Not good weather for drying things out.

Looks like I'll have to run a couple loads of wood this evening if I can get the dumptrailer to dump sometime today.

fool32696
10-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Got to love Florida, most of my accounts are still on a 10 day schedule and I'm still doing a few once a week. I see myself cutting into November again. Personally, I wish the season would never end. It is nice not to have to worry about much mowing when finals come around though.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
What end of season?
Our maintenance contracts are 12 months.
No service on 'rain days'
We are actually busier this time of year.
Scalp bermuda yards and seed w/ perrenial rye for winter
Removal summer annuals - amend beds - new winter annuals for color.
Leaf removal is not a major job on most properties.
Most debris removed goes into my compost piles.
(later resold to customers for bed amendment)

Landscapes are still scheduled through mid December
W/ others still on the drawing board
Some sprinkler systems still to install for the do-it-yourself homescapers.

We do slow down abit in Jan - Feb due to cold or rain,
But it NEVER ends. Great to live in California ! payup

burns60
10-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Still going strong here in No MS also. Noticed all kinds of grasses slowing down though. Will be able to put mulcher on this week and may not have to take it off again through leaf disposals. Most of my 35 accounts are every 2 weeks, but leaf cleanups will be spasmodic till I finish up in mid Nov with some stragglers wanting a tuneup before Christmas.

Yea for Winter and a break.....I am ready for one. Have a couple of accounts that like theirs mowed through the winter till you can hardly tell where you are mowing. Don't know why but that is what they want so that is my "spending cash" so I don't ask why.

topsites
10-06-2005, 04:12 AM
Would prefer to skip leaves all together. It's alway's dirty, dusty, wet, cold...but the money is good.

To each their own but for me, I think leaves are easy work but the money sucks. However, I also don't like them (well since the money sucks).

Up North
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
buck,

Yeah it's a tad early, we may see a snow flurry or maybe in inch or two towards the end of Oct. but yeah...it's too early for a dumping. Looks like we escaped the wrath as parts of North Dakota got 18 inches of wet sloppy snow. Power is out all over that state and roads were closed due to the blizzard.

Last year I finished up by mid October but had a new customer call a couple weeks later and wanted leaves picked up, so the day I went over there, it had snowed some. All the lawns had a dusting, by the time I was done her lawn was leaf free, no snow & well manicured. I should have taken pics because all her neighbors were still under snow but her lawn looked like it was mid June. :D

So it really just depends on how wet or snowy it is. I may just go ahead and do the clean up, wait till it dries out a bit, or just pack up and do it in the spring.

Buck